Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
siusantos
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by siusantos »

I love reading because it takes me to places I've never been (and probably will never will be to). It is also my form of escape from the problems that I encounter in my life, and from boredom. I read because I also want to further my knowledge and to broaden my vocabulary.

KimberlyS88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberlys88.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by KimberlyS88 »

I like reading because it takes your mind off everything else going on around you.

What attracts me to it is an engulfing story, one that leaves you eagerly turning the pages.

JaimeAlfonzo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaimealfonzo.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JaimeAlfonzo »

Primarily, to evade, to escape, make me feel free.
And as a collateral i learn new words, new philosophies, history. Reading is hedonist pleasure!

KimberlyS88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberlys88.html

Post by KimberlyS88 »

I like reading because I find it very relaxing, and a good story can really take my mind off of things.

DEEPA PUJARI
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: The Life and Legacy of B.B. King: A Mississippi Blues Icon by Diane Williams
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

I like to read for 2 reasons:
1. Reading makes me drowsy and I get a very peaceful sleep if I have read just before going to bed.
2. When I read a book I picture myself as the Protagonist in the book. This is a very satisfying experience as I can do things which I can never do in reality.

Caribqueen16
Favorite Book: The Employee Millionaire
Currently Reading: Let’s Mountain Bike!
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caribqueen16.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Post by Caribqueen16 »

:techie-studyinggray: Reading books broaden your horizon. Non-fiction can also increase your vocabulary and you can observe the author's writing style. You can improve your thoughts and outlook depending on the chosen topic. Fictional books work on your imagination, whether they are comical, mystery, sci-fi, or plain nancy drew types. There are times we need to escape reality and what better way than fantasy.

Reading should be encouraged from the age of four or five to enhance learning capabilities. I do enjoy reading and it also improves writing.
Where there is a will, there's got to be a way :D

B Creech
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 126
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Beyond the Gates of Ani
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-b-creech.html
Latest Review: Unhappy Warrior: the Life and Death of Robert S. Starobin by Linda Rennie Forcey

Post by B Creech »

I like reading because it takes me to places I will never get to go to. When I am stressed, if I choose a book and begin reading I forget about the stress and engross myself in the story.
B. Creech

Shena999
2019 Reading Goal: 45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shena999.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin
Reading Device: B01J90OB88

Post by Shena999 »

This is genuinely a good question, one that I haven't considered much before. I like reading primarily because, for lack of a better term, the expansion of knowledge. The human brain constantly wants stimulation and while this can be gained from doing most things, reading is absolutely the best option for you. Every time you read you learn something, even if it's as small as a different perspective or the way someone writes. Reading keeps your brain constantly running at full capacity to understand, visualize, and expand upon prior knowledge to keep up. I love reading because no matter what you read your brain will continue to grow with that knowledge.

Side note... I felt very hypocritical writing this noting that I dislike reading most educational textbooks and instead stick to fiction. But the thing about fiction is that it puts you in a whole new world so unlike your own! That world created by another human being as the pinnacle of conscious thought.

Side note of side note... wow this got 10x more philosophical than what I was aiming for but oh well.

Reina275
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reina275.html

Post by Reina275 »

I like reading because is like diving into the ocean, is a whole new world and it surprises you as you go deeper and deeper. Also, books are understimated, there are hours of knowledge in there and help your brain to develop empathy and being more creative, but most people choose a movie to "avoid thinking". :techie-studyingbrown:

leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html

Post by leximutia »

Two things in particular for me.

1) The escapism.
2) Potentially new perspectives.

I really enjoy just getting absorbed into some completely different world with new characters that have led different lives, with different thoughts and opinions and personalities... Just. I love being able to forget who I am and live vicariously through fictional characters. Other than that, I've actually learned plenty through various fiction books, about how one might perceive whatever concept or aspect of society, based on this character's life experiences.

There's just a lot that I can take away from a book, whether it's the luxury of escapism or learning something new or seeing something I already know about from a different angle. I feel like I'm describing this vaguely, but short answer, I read books because I enjoy them and learn new things from them all the time.

Azokamchi
2019 Reading Goal: 100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azokamchi.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Azokamchi »

I love reading mainly because it expands my mind by exploring others' experiences. I love reading as a hobby, it is a form of escape from reality sometimes. Reading inspires me to try new things and aids me in making decisions.

Doodle98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doodle98.html

Post by Doodle98 »

There are so many things in this world I will simply never get to experience first-hand but I can read about it from someone else's perspective. For a little while I can sink into their live and see through their eyes.

FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by FaithMO19 »

Reading is fun. It's brain stimulating and it introduces me to different worlds of different races and cultures. I just love it so

erinschaverien
Currently Reading: The Champagne Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by erinschaverien »

Reading is a way to get away from your own life and disappear to somewhere else for a while.
I've always read a lot and reading is what got me through really hard times. Not everyone is happy with their own lives and its good to have a temporary break from the world around you.

Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Requiem For The Dead by Victor M. Alvarez

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

I like reading because it gets my mind going and it keeps me sharp. I pretty much stay home so it’s hard to find anything stimulating if I’m not reading.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”