What are you reading right now ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wayne-indiana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Re: What are you reading right now ?

Post by Wayne Indiana »

I recently joined The Review Team and I'm on my second book to review, "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill. My brother is a huge fan of sci-fi, even taking a sci-fi course at GA Tech. His influence combined with a desire to expand my reading genres led me to this book. So far, I'm really enjoying it! It also helps that I love dystopian stories, with Orwell's "1984" as one of my faves.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

I recently joined The Review Team and I'm on my second book to review, "Terms of Service" by Craig W. Stanfill. My brother is a huge fan of sci-fi, even taking a sci-fi course at GA Tech. His influence combined with a desire to expand my reading genres led me to this book. So far, I'm really enjoying it! It also helps that I love dystopian stories, with Orwell's "1984" as one of my faves.
Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

Wayne Indiana
Currently Reading:

Post by Wayne Indiana »

xwavyann
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by xwavyann »

The classical, pride & prejudice. :)
Nancy004
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Nancy004 »

Currently I am reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie. Mr. Rushdie has such a way with words. I got hooked to the pages right from the beginning. I can't wait to explore his other novels.
mark liu
Currently Reading: If Time Stood Still
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-liu.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by mark liu »

I’m reading the Bible currently. Thought i’d spend more time reading such an important and spiritual book.
philip381

Post by philip381 »

Right now, I am reading "Dark Victory - Ronald Reagan, MCA and the Mob" So many people sanctify Reagan as the best president we have had in the past 100 years. I never thought so. This book was forbidden for many years. Now let the truth come out.

I also wanted to post a blog I wrote recently, but I cannot see how to post anything new. So, here it is, for what it is worth...

The Male Romance Novel Author
May 31
Written By Philip Pallette
While the general belief is that women are the primary audience and writers of romance novels, it is vital to challenge this assumption and recognize the diverse perspectives that male authors bring to the genre. In this blog post, we will explore why men choose to write romance novels, specifically focusing on my book, Sinful Duty. We will highlight the unique insights and narratives that male authors can offer, as well as the impact of their work on both readers and the genre as a whole.

Breaking Stereotypes:

Many people believe that women only write romance novels because they have an innate understanding of love and relationships. However, this overlooks the fact that men are just as capable of exploring complex emotions and creating captivating romantic stories. My book, Sinful Duty, challenges this stereotype by telling the story of a male protagonist and exploring the intricate themes of love, guilt, and redemption.

Let's delve into our emotions and explore their complexity. Romance novels by male authors offer a unique perspective, bringing emotional depth and insight to the narrative. Sinful Duty is an excellent example of this, as it explores the internal struggles of the protagonist, Grant, a pastor facing the consequences of his actions. Throughout the story, themes of guilt, forgiveness, and redemption are explored, resonating with readers of all genders. Including these emotional complexities enriches the genre and provides readers with a fresh and nuanced perspective on love and relationships.

Characters with depth and complexity:

Sinful Duty is known for its compelling and flawed characters. The protagonist, Grant, is a relatable human character who struggles with guilt and faith. Male authors can create multi-dimensional characters that challenge stereotypes and break traditional expectations. By giving depth to their characters, male authors are helping to transform romance novels into narratives that are more than surface-level clichés.

Introducing a New Development:

Romance novels can benefit from male authors who bring a fresh perspective and diverse voice to the genre. They have the power to push boundaries and explore themes that others may have overlooked. For instance, Sinful Duty intertwines a murder investigation with a complex exploration of guilt and redemption. These types of descriptions expand the scope of romance novels and appeal to a broader range of readers, promoting inclusivity and broadening the genre's horizons.

Expanding the Audience.:

Male authors who write romance novels can broaden their readership and create stories that appeal to a diverse audience. By including male perspectives and experiences, they offer a more comprehensive portrayal of relationships and romance, which may attract readers who typically need to engage with the genre. The popularity of books like Sinful Duty proves that great storytelling transcends gender boundaries, inviting readers from all backgrounds to enjoy captivating tales of love and redemption.

Despite the common association of romance novels with female authors, male authors like myself challenge stereotypes and bring fresh perspectives to the genre. Sinful Duty is a prime example of the unique power of male-authored romance novels, as it explores themes of guilt, forgiveness, and redemption. By breaking down stereotypes, delving into emotional depth, and creating complex characters, male authors are expanding the boundaries of the genre and reaching a wider audience with captivating narratives that resonate universally. The genre continues to evolve and thrive through inclusive storytelling, embracing the richness of diverse voices and experiences.

Male authors who write romance novels bring a refreshing and valuable perspective to the genre. Their ability to explore emotions, develop complex characters, and challenge traditional narratives enhances the overall landscape of romance literature. Works like Sinful Duty exemplify the power of these male-authored stories to captivate readers and offer a more diverse and inclusive representation of love and relationships. Male authors of romance novels have a significant advantage in breaking down gender stereotypes. They delve into the intricacies of human emotions, proving that understanding and portraying love is not limited to a particular gender. These authors showcase sensitivity and emotional depth, demonstrating that anyone can empathize with and articulate the complexities of romantic relationships.

Furthermore, male-authored romance novels often feature characters challenging traditional gender roles and expectations. For example, in Sinful Duty, Grant, a conflicted pastor struggling with guilt and seeking redemption, adds depth to male characters by exploring his internal conflicts. This demonstrates that vulnerability and growth are not limited to female protagonists, although female authors are well aware of this vulnerability in males.

Male authors contribute to the evolution of the romance genre by pushing boundaries and introducing fresh perspectives. Their stories offer unique narratives and explore themes that may have been underrepresented or overlooked in the past. Sinful Duty intertwines a murder investigation with the exploration of guilt and redemption, demonstrating the capacity of male-authored romance novels to weave suspense and introspection into the fabric of love stories.

In addition to breaking new ground, male-authored romance novels broaden the genre's readership. By embracing diverse perspectives, these authors attract readers who may not typically engage with romance novels. Including male voices and experiences provides a more inclusive portrayal of relationships, appealing to a broader range of readers and inviting them to discover the universal themes of love, growth, and emotional connection.

Male authors who write romance novels bring a valuable contribution to the genre. They challenge stereotypes, create complex characters, and delve into the emotional depths of love and redemption. Their work invites readers from all backgrounds to connect with stories that inspire empathy and inclusivity. We should celebrate and embrace these authors for giving us unique perspectives on love and human connection. Through their compelling narratives, we can explore the intricacies of love and find ourselves within their pages.
maggie hong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by maggie hong »

I actually read an English translation of a Chinese novel called "Tian Guan Ci Fu" - I had no idea what I was getting myself into...
About a week and a half later, when I finally finished the novel (it is honestly so much and hard to describe, but there's undying romance/loyalty, conflict resolution, and great character development), and out of curiosity I googled the word count of the translation and then I googled the word count of the Harry Potter books. FYI, I read the Harry Potter books years ago and finished each one within 1-3 days. Turns out Tian Guan Ci Fu had a higher word count than the Harry Potter series combined... it was insane. It's crazy how the novel was so long but kept me hooked like a drug addict nonstop reading day after day, hours after hours, from when I woke up to just before falling asleep. The was the last book that really touched me. Now my reading diet is a mixture of ebooks less than 200 pages, news articles, and reddit posts LOL.
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

This day, I have selected 'We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies'. I hope to enjoy every word and page.
Chrystal Paris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-paris.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Chrystal Paris »

I'm currently reading Man Mission. Eytan is a real fine writer. It seems the book is non-fiction?
urrutiap

Post by urrutiap »

This summer starting now Im reading three books

Anne Rice's Servant of the Bones
re-reading Star Wars Empire Strikes Back From a Certain Point of View.
Wheel of Time Path of Daggers
Angie Fernandez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1071
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angie-fernandez.html
Latest Review: Level 1 Decodable Phonics Reader-Short Vowels by Sara Gross

Post by Angie Fernandez »

I am reading "River Sing Me Home", the debut novel by Eleanor Shearer. A beautifully written historical novel that takes place on various Caribbean islands between 1834-1835. The book follows a woman born into slavery whose children are taken from her and her journey to reunite with them. Rachel's story will stay with me long after I have finished reading this powerful book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”