Why do you like reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Vicki Cowan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vicki-cowan.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell

Re: Why do you like reading?

Post by Vicki Cowan »

I love to read because it helps expand my knowledge base and books take my mind to places and times that I will never encounter in real life.
Wanjla Carl
Favorite Author: by Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjla-carl.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 221705

Post by Wanjla Carl »

One reason I like reading is because it is a form of education.Through reading I get to learn very many new things. I can learn different cultures and it also helps me expand my vocabulary.
Wanjla Carl
Favorite Author: by Matthew Tysz
Favorite Book: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjla-carl.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz
fav_author_id: 221705

Post by Wanjla Carl »

Entertainment: Reading can be a form of entertainment, providing enjoyment and pleasure similar to watching a movie or listening to music

Another reason I like reading is because it is a form of entertainment. Reading provides me with a sense of enjoyment and pleasure that is associated with all the other fun activities.
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

For sixteen years, reading had never been my interest. However, I started loving reading books after being given "The Alchemist" as a gift by my high school principal. The reading experience that I had was amazing.
My reasons for reading are:
1. To get enlightenment.
2. To understand people and their behavior.
3. To improve my English.
4. To gain influence so that I can write my novels and share my ideas.
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

Scott wrote: 17 Oct 2007, 23:09
leslie.aponte wrote:1) It helps me stop thinking about bad things. Like when I'm upset or very very mad, I grab a book and that just makes me forget about everything. It is a way of escaping reality.
I'm the same way. Whenever I get home from a dramatic night, or if something has upset me, I usually read a book for a long time and then go to sleep. I am not exactly sure why that helps. What's especially odd is that I find sad books help me when I am sad, and other moods are also helped by stories that match them. If I was feeling desperate, a story with a lot of despair would help stabilize me. Perhaps it is just a way to release the feelings.
If you read a sad book while you are feeling sad, you will probably feel better since you will have realized that you are not the only one who feels this way. And when people are aware that they are not by themselves in a circumstance, they generally feel better.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

I love reading because:

1) It gives me new knowledge

2) I can escape into their world and forget about mine

3) I win in scrabble! lol i need all the help i can get.
UndeniablyMë
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-undeniablym.html
Latest Review: The House on Tyner by Matthew O’Connell

Post by UndeniablyMë »

At this point in my life reading is no longer just an escape from the rest of the world, it has became so much more. It is a space for emotional growth and somewhere I learn even more about myself and see how I would react in certain situations. It is also educational, cultural and recreational.

A lot of the hobbies and other things I have come to enjoy resonate from reading. Reading has also somehow kept me youthful (Mind you that I am still very young :D ).

My love for books and reading has gone past repair.
maggie hong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by maggie hong »

For me personally, it comes down to a couple points.
1 - Provides a break or escape from reality and mentally immerses me to somewhere else, a different environment.
2 - Allows me to use my imagination and create pictures of characters, settings how I envision them.
In a lot of ways, it's kind of a like an RPG sometimes and similar to video gaming.
Elizabeth McNutt
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N)
Currently Reading: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future
Bookshelf Size: 211
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-mcnutt.html
Latest Review: Fantasy Realms Coloring Book by Carolina Mattos Alvarado and Steven A Ridder
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Elizabeth McNutt »

My mind can travel so quickly to different places, settings, communities etc. that I find great pleasure in sharing fact and fiction on a global scale with those who are called to write. My mind is active while I sit in peace in my comfortable chair and enjoy the world through other eyes.
Chrystal Paris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-paris.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Chrystal Paris »

Through reading, I get to learn about new things, new places.. Since I don't have the finance to physically travel, why not imagine it?
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

I like reading for a number of reasons, and that depends on how I feel at the time of reading. Reading is a good way of escape in a noisy world.
Nasaka J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nasaka-j.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Nasaka J »

1.) I like reading because it improves my creativity at the same time stimulating my imagination. It is a form of escape from reality for me. It allows me to envision characters, settings and events which is very enjoyable.
Nasaka J
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Nasaka J »

Nasaka J wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 01:56 1.) I like reading because it improves my creativity at the same time stimulating my imagination. It is a form of escape from reality for me. It allows me to envision characters, settings and events which is very enjoyable.
I read for personal development. Reading can contribute to personal development by exposing you to different viewpoints and experiences. It can enhance my empathy, critical thinking, and communication skills.
Nasaka J
Currently Reading:

Post by Nasaka J »

Nasaka J wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 02:06
Nasaka J wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 01:56 1.) I like reading because it improves my creativity at the same time stimulating my imagination. It is a form of escape from reality for me. It allows me to envision characters, settings and events which is very enjoyable.
I read for personal development. Reading can contribute to personal development by exposing you to different viewpoints and experiences. It can enhance my empathy, critical thinking, and communication skills.
For entertainment. To me reading is highly entertaining. Whether it's a thrilling mystery, a thought-provoking novel, or an engaging biography, books offer a wide range of genres and stories that can captivate and entertain me.
Nasaka J
Currently Reading:

Post by Nasaka J »

Nasaka J wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 02:09
Nasaka J wrote: 10 Jun 2023, 02:06
For entertainment. To me reading is highly entertaining. Whether it's a thrilling mystery, a thought-provoking novel, or an engaging biography, books offer a wide range of genres and stories that can captivate and entertain me.
I read to improve my vocabulary. Reading helps improve my language skills and vocabulary as I always encounter new words and sentence structures, I can enhance my communication abilities, both written and verbal.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”