Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Tomi Ahmed
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomi-ahmed.html
Latest Review: A Killer Within by Rosemarie B. Smith
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 35
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Tomi Ahmed »

My current partner is not a big reader and I am okay with that. I wish we could read more together, but I like how we each have our own passions and hobbies. I usually read while he watches basketball or soccer.
Tomi Ahmed
Stephen Somtochukwu Ezeme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-somtochukwu-ezeme.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Stephen Somtochukwu Ezeme »

No, I can't date someone who doesn't read. We will be short of conversation. we won't have much basis for converse.
Currently Reading:

Or, maybe. I can teach her how to read, and the modes to become more interested in reading.
BlueAlizeti
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluealizeti.html
Latest Review: Thoughts on Science and Faith by Michael John
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by BlueAlizeti »

This is a very interestinf topic and I've enjoyed reading the comments so far. Personally, I love reading, it is more than a hobby for me, it's a need, and I'm happy to say that my partner enjoys it too. However, we don't share any interest on the same topics! Sometimes we discuss what we've read or are reading, but not all the time. For that I think I could date someone who doesn't read as far as they "exercise their minds" somehow and aren't intellectually lazy, as the latter is the deal breaker for me. I'm happy to date someone who doesn't sit with me and read books, but instead explore other forms of art and hobbies. In my opinion, there would be still so much to talk about, even more than sharing the same hobby/interest.
Paras Batra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paras-batra.html
Latest Review: Chasing Dragons between Dimensions by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg
2024 Reading Goal: 51
2024 Goal Completion: 15%

Post by Paras Batra »

Yes I can if the other person doesnot have problem from my reading habit.
Penn Leigh
Favorite Book: The Alone Time
Currently Reading: The Galveston Diet
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penn-leigh.html
Latest Review: Essential Advice for Buying Your First Home and Navigating through the Mortgage Loan Process by Diana Donnelly

Post by Penn Leigh »

If I was not married, then, yes, I think I could date someone who doesn't read. Maybe that is weird. I do have clear memories of the moment when my future husband and I discovered we both love to read so I think it is important but it's only one part of a person. Why someone does not like to read would be a larger issue for me than not liking it. There are many reasons people do not like things.

I think I would choose to not date someone who can't accept that I enjoy it. They don't have to like to read but they have to respect that I do. I don't like to work on the car or take apart things that have broken and try to fix them. My husband does actually enjoy those things (up to a point...LOL. There is that point in the middle when it isn't working and he isn't having fun.). He also enjoys camping and I don't. It doesn't mean we are incompatible. I have always said I wouldn't want to date or marry myself. I don't want friends who are exactly like me either. We need things in common but not everything. I want to grow throughout my life and being around people who are identical to me doesn't challenge me. We can disagree and still be good friends with respect for each other.

Then, there is the factor that just because someone likes to read does not mean you will like the same genres or the same books. Over time, my husband and I have discovered we often like to read different genres so we don't discuss books very much other than superficially. What are you reading about? Are you enjoying it? What do you like about it? What made you choose it? Our discussions are less about the book and more about the other person. We know when something will appeal to the other and share those in hopes the other person might enjoy it but we also know when they definitely won't like the book we like so there are no book club discussions going on where we discuss a book in depth!
Precious Majebi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Precious Majebi »

I don't think I can date a person who doesn't read to me both I and my partner should have similar hobbies and it is my hobby to read .

I love talking about what I read with someone I care about and I expect the person to give reasonable contributions.

So no I can't date someone who doesn't read.
Eobi jonh
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eobi-jonh.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Eobi jonh »

Not in a million years I really cannot
Paras Batra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paras-batra.html
Latest Review: Chasing Dragons between Dimensions by Matthew Emmanuel Weinberg
2024 Reading Goal: 51
2024 Goal Completion: 15%

Post by Paras Batra »

Dating has nothing to do with the hobbies that one pursues. I can surely date a non reader
seema Singhal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seema-singhal.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 12%

Post by seema Singhal »

I would. Everyone has different hobbies and different ways of spending their free time. I like to read others may like to write or listen to music podcasts or current affairs. And people with different hobbies can connect and click. 😃
Igwe Ifeanyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-igwe-ifeanyi.html
Latest Review: The Shanghai Circle by Tony Henderson

Post by Igwe Ifeanyi »

Well, it may not affect my choice. I mean, how many people even read these days. But then if I actually encounters someone that enjoys reading books then is +1000 bonus for ya. A reading partner :techie-studyinggray: is a romantic partner :wink:
Ashley Price 3
Favorite Book: Home Body
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-price-3.html
Latest Review: Somawise by Luke Sniewski

Post by Ashley Price 3 »

I've never thought about this before but I don't think I could date someone who doesn't read as it is such a big part of my life.
Cynthia Krysak
Favorite Author: Ruby Dixon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
fav_author_id: 31004
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Cynthia Krysak »

This is a very interesting question. I consider reading a hobby or pastime just like golfing a hobby or pastime. I don't enjoy golf but would be supportive if my partner likes to golf and so relating to this, if my partner did not like to read I would not consider this to be a bad thing as we all have different interests and so I don't think we need to worry about it so much. Plus I know other friends and family that do enjoy reading so I can have conversations with them about books, book topics etc.
Currently Reading:

No, I can not date someone who doesn't read. How can I discuss important topics with her?

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”