The scent of books

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Alexa12345
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alexa12345 »

oloroso36 wrote:Germs are the #1 reason hospitals no longer supply reading material in waiting rooms. But one can take it too far - I'm not obsessive about it. At least not yet! :)
Hmmm..if we think at this POSSIBLE things to happen we miss life's pleasures and satisfactions. Sometimes we have to think which matter more: a possible risk, or a soul satisfaction.
nanette1959

Post by nanette1959 »

:D I love the smell of all books. I smell them and think Oh! this is going to be a good book.

BookSlut
Hal3

Post by Hal3 »

I just got a paperback from a friend. It's been in her garage in a box for a gazillion years. It's the "Prelude to the Foundation Trilogy" by Isaac Asimov. Like a lot of my old paperbacks, the paper is the color of a paper grocery bag, and it smells musty, even from reading distance. So there seems to be an age limit--though I'm still reading it.

Hal3
oloroso36

Post by oloroso36 »

Hal3 wrote:I just got a paperback from a friend. It's been in her garage in a box for a gazillion years. It's the "Prelude to the Foundation Trilogy" by Isaac Asimov. Like a lot of my old paperbacks, the paper is the color of a paper grocery bag, and it smells musty, even from reading distance. So there seems to be an age limit--though I'm still reading it.

Hal3
You could read it with a clothespin on your nose :lol: :lol: :lol:
You must understand the whole of life, not just one little part of it. That is why you must read, that is why you must look at the skies, that is why you must sing and dance, and write poems and suffer and understand, for all that is life.
Woodland Nymph

Post by Woodland Nymph »

I adore the scent of books, especially the older ones. Whenever I open a book, I immediately smell it; I do it without even consciously deciding to do so. Sometimes, I find myself even doing it in public libraries and bookstores, and I have to stop myself; the other costumers must think I'm insane.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Woodland Nymph wrote:I adore the scent of books, especially the older ones. Whenever I open a book, I immediately smell it; I do it without even consciously deciding to do so. Sometimes, I find myself even doing it in public libraries and bookstores, and I have to stop myself; the other costumers must think I'm insane.
No just weird!
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Perrywinkle47

Post by Perrywinkle47 »

No, but I like the smell of patrol and fresh photocopies instead..
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

I also love the smell of a brand new book.
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

there is this "old, sweet" smell in some books that I love. I have only come across a few books that have that smell :(
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

One warning about books smell, if you're looking at used books and there's that mildew smell, check the binding and all well. A book that has any sign of fuzz can spread it to your other books. But yes old books do tend to smell nice. A regular new book store smells great too, especially with the smell of coffee brewing mmmmmmmm
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
eleanor_pugh

Post by eleanor_pugh »

I love the smell of books, new ones especially. Ignore the germs and inhale the promise of the new world your book brings.
Ms Frizz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-frizz.html

Post by Ms Frizz »

I like the smell of new books, although these days I do most of my reading on my Kindle, which just smells "electronic." Regarding library books, I used to work part-time in a library. One of my coworkers had the habit of licking her fingers to separate paper materials. She actually ended up getting some kind of infection requiring hospitalization from doing that with library materials, so I'm not putting any part of my face too close to library books!
Misaela
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misaela.html
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Misaela »

I like the smell of old books, and new as well. When I was in school, I loved the smell of those new, hardcover, gigantic math books with their glossy pages. I have no idea why, but it was one of the things I looked forward to when starting my new school year.
Latest Review: "A Wounded World" by Crit Kincaid
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

I love the smell of books! It's wonderful. :)
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
Gina77
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gina77.html
Latest Review: "The Texas Twist" by John Vorhaus

Post by Gina77 »

I definitely know what you mean about the smell of books! It always makes me so happy. I think its must be because I've always had such a great relationship with books and can associate many happy times with specific books. So whenever I smell a book it takes me back!
Latest Review: "The Texas Twist" by John Vorhaus

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”