Do you picture actors in your mind when you read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Brother Juniper
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you picture actors in your mind when you read?

Post by Brother Juniper »

dhomespot wrote:
Brother Juniper wrote:I do. I have always had the image of Tom Selleck as the lead character of Jim Qwilleran in The Cat Who books. My wife started reading the books too and she asked me, "Does Jim Qwilleran remind you of an actor?" I said, "Tom Selleck, right?" She said, "Exactly!" So I think that's probably a a pretty common connection in those particular books.
It makes you wonder if the author had an actor in mind when they wrote a story.
I've thought that myself. It sure does seem like it in this instance.

-- 20 Dec 2013, 13:03 --

Well, after a aquick search I found that Lilian Jackson Braun's first Cat Who book was published in 1966, and Tom Selleck's very first role was in 1969, so I guess not. But the resemblance is uncanny.
Ja5mne
Favorite Author: Bronte Sisters
Favorite Book: Destiny by Sally Beauman
Currently Reading: Christmas on Main St
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ja5mne.html

Post by Ja5mne »

All the time!! I literally make a movie in my head complete with casting, costumes, soundtracks, and even locations. I do the same with music as well I can put together a whole music video after listening to the song 2 times or so.
dudeandduchess
Favorite Author: R.L. Matthewson
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dudeandduchess.html

Post by dudeandduchess »

It depends on the author's description of the character. I mean, if the description indicates something very vivid, then I don't have to use a "face claim" for the character; if, however, the description only states the eye colour or the well-defined facial features of the character, I find myself picturing any person I have seen that fits the description.
miztree46
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miztree46.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Post by miztree46 »

I try not to picture actors in my mind while I’m reading. I’m usually disappointed when producers announce they are going to turn a book into a movie. The actors I think should play certain characters aren't usually chosen.
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
FlorenceDupuis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florencedupuis.html

Post by FlorenceDupuis »

It's funny, lots of people do that, but I never ever did, except of course when I saw the movie, or already know who the actors are going to be. I read Twilight before seing the movie, but I had already seen the trailer so Kristen Stewart was alreay Bella for me.
ladylioness
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Favorite Book: The Stand
Currently Reading: Wheel of Time book 4
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladylioness.html
Latest Review: "HOW TO KNOCK A BRAVEBIRD FROM HER PERCH" by D. BRYANT SIMMONS
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by ladylioness »

Only if I happen to see the movie first I will place the characters in the book with whoever played their part in the movie, which is rare. I usually read the book first.
Latest Review: "HOW TO KNOCK A BRAVEBIRD FROM HER PERCH" by D. BRYANT SIMMONS
nolane9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nolane9.html

Post by nolane9 »

I always try to get to a book before I see the movie so that I can create my own image of the characters. Sometimes actors will start to materialise but I like to do it my self
dana5570

Post by dana5570 »

Yes! For some reason every youngish guy in any books I read, I picture Steven Webber from Wings! No idea why, it's not like I'm a huge fan of his but I always picture him. When I was younger and read Judy Blume books, I used to picture all dads being James Gardner back when the Rockford Files was on. One of my major pet peeves is when a movie is made based on a book and a character is described in the book and the actor they get to play the character is the total opposite lookswise. I always think is it THAT hard to find an actor or actress that kind of resembles the way the author described him or her?
pamelaylawrence
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamelaylawrence.html

Post by pamelaylawrence »

I only picture actors, when I've already seen a movie based on the book; but, when the characters prove to be different than the Hollywood portrayal, I release the actor's image.
lbuckman
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbuckman.html
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell

Post by lbuckman »

Can't say I have ever pictured specific actors when reading books. I have pictured what I think the person would look like - but have never associated that with an actual individual.
Latest Review: "Lingering..." by Casey Harvell
H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

When I was younger, the books usually had a painting on the front cover. My mental image of the characters would start with that painting, but would quickly get modified by the author's descriptions and, as the action progressed, somehow my mental image would "creep" away from the painting too.

It used to drive me crazy when the cover artist apparently hadn't read the book. E.g. you go through half the book only to find out that a certain character is, say, bearded. :-)

I also used to picture Laura Ingalls' log cabin looking sometimes like a log cabin inside, but sometimes like my own house. :-)
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
Iggy_86
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iggy-86.html
Latest Review: "Empathy and the Birth of the White Army" by Michael Kantor

Post by Iggy_86 »

Unless I've seen the movie of the same book, no. This is also the reason why I try to avoid watching movies before I've read the book. I like picturing imaginary characters while reading.
Latest Review: "Empathy and the Birth of the White Army" by Michael Kantor
sarah92480
Favorite Author: Kim Harrison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah92480.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4193

Post by sarah92480 »

Sometimes I do, it depends on what I am reading. Often if I find the character attractive, I'll make them look like an actor/actress I'm attracted to. Sometimes it really works, sometimes it doesn't. 8)
dianaan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dianaan.html

Post by dianaan »

:))))) great question! Until now I thought I'm the only one doing that :D
scuster

Post by scuster »

I have read books that was a storyline for a movie so rewinds of the movie were playing in my mind while the author was trying to paint another viewpoint in our minds. Some of the classic stories that we read in school were a based for a painting of the early times in America history and where we have been to get where we are today so it helps me as a reader to be able to paint the storyline in my mind as the author had written the book to express their ideas.

-- 22 Jan 2014, 15:16 --

I have read books that was a storyline for a movie so rewinds of the movie were playing in my mind while the author was trying to paint another viewpoint in our minds. Some of the classic stories that we read in school were a based for a painting of the early times in America history and where we have been to get where we are today so it helps me as a reader to be able to paint the storyline in my mind as the author had written the book to express their ideas.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”