Male Vs Female Authors What do you prefer?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Male or Female Authors?

Male
45%
Female
55%

Total votes: 80

krusaderpublishing
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Male Vs Female Authors What do you prefer?

Post by krusaderpublishing »

Most female authors focus on love interests (which is fine),but I like the subplots from male writers better.
Sophie

Post by Sophie »

I tend to prefer a female author. Though as long as the book is good, the gender doesn't matter. But since most of the books I have are written by females maybe subconsciously I prefer them :)
anisha_astrologer

Post by anisha_astrologer »

now that's a very controversial question. i too feel that as long as i like the book, the gender of the author doesn't bother me. :) :D :)
Barbarabillig
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbarabillig.html

Post by Barbarabillig »

If it is an action thriller - I look at the male authors first - but there are some good female writers - ie Sue Grafton.
If it is a romance novel - The female authors are looked at first - what man knows romance?
There is an exception to every rule. I am finding that more men are reading my novel, BLACKLISTED (a fiction novel of suspense) aka BLACKLISTED of BLACKLISTED. That surprised me as I tried to make it a balanced book for both men and women. Barbara Griffin Billig
Marco

Post by Marco »

thanks ms.c like to know other authors you like also, i can tell you mine if you like.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

For horror stories, I think women authors have a slight edge over male authors. Edith Wharton, Marjorie Bowen, Gertrude Atherton, Bessie Kiffen-Taylor and many others wrote some pretty scary stuff. Maybe females have a darker turn of mind then males.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
sadya
Favorite Book: Too many to name 1.
Currently Reading: Too many to name them all.

Post by sadya »

I don't really have a preference in this case, amongst my favorite authors are males as well as females.
Leta

Post by Leta »

It's interesting to see this question. Up until a few years ago, I would never admit to anyone that I really prefer female authors over male authors. I think at some point during my childhood, I mentioned to my mother that I just didn't really like "boy authors"! Embarrassing to admit such, I have to say! Some of my favorite authors are males...but that didn't happen until the last few years. I think I needed to see the book and the story through a female's eyes....I guess I finally grew out of that!!
DaoJones
Favorite Author: All of them
Favorite Book: Every book I ever read
Currently Reading: Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

Post by DaoJones »

I didn't vote since the choices were limited to one or another. I am male and read mostly books written by men and have read only a few by women. It seems to me men write stories men would more likely gravitate to and so do women. Of course there are exceptions. The number of women authors I've read is small (Anita Shreve, Alice Sebold, Suze Orman, Jane Austin, PJ Parrish, Gillian Flynn) but I wouldn't refuse to read a book based on gender. The main thing is will the story be interesting? Is it told in a way that is engaging?
Best regards, Rick
My worst day reading a book is better than my best day doing anything else.
The Bookaholic
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookaholic.html
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill

Post by The Bookaholic »

As long as the book is good, I remain neutral. Gender shouldn't affect the quality of writing.
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill
x1f4j8k9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-x1f4j8k9.html

Post by x1f4j8k9 »

I don't have a preference, but most of the books I've read are by males.
jellymonty
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Diary of Anne Frank
Currently Reading: Sherlock Holmes Complete Series
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jellymonty.html
Latest Review: "Allergic to Life" by Kathryn Chastain Treat

Post by jellymonty »

It makes no difference to me who writes the book. If it's a good book, I'll read it. If it isn't I'll trash it.
Latest Review: "Allergic to Life" by Kathryn Chastain Treat
juicyfruitsxoxo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juicyfruitsxoxo.html

Post by juicyfruitsxoxo »

It really doesn't matter to me. But I think I have more books by male authors than female.
tracydinh96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracydinh96.html

Post by tracydinh96 »

It doesn't matter much to me what gender the author is
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

Either is fine, gender doesn't matter if the story is written well.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”