Audiobooks or the real thing?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Nessie_Bookworm
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nessie-bookworm.html

Re: Audiobooks or the real thing?

Post by Nessie_Bookworm »

samuyama wrote:I'm a fan of reading a book in my hands, but for the past couple years I've been exclusively audiobooks for the convenience in the car. What do you guys like?

Real thing all the way. If I had to rely on an audiobook it'd be uncomfortable and much too demanding but with the normal book or e-book you can read it as comfortable as you want and however you wish. :idea:
Cool Books
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cool-books.html
Latest Review: "Life And Beyond" by Aruen Sood

Post by Cool Books »

audio books are good and do save space and sometimes money and time but i still love reading books reading books can never be changed according to me because nothing can change or beat curling up with a good book.
Latest Review: "Life And Beyond" by Aruen Sood
v_ivie
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-ivie.html

Post by v_ivie »

I definitely prefer a book in my hand because if I listen to an audio book alone, I think my attention will drift and I will not even pay attention to what I'm reading. But I have found audio books useful when I am struggling to get through a book I have to read. I used audio books when I had trouble understanding the dialects in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" as well as the semi-monotonous story line. I think audio books can be very useful.
AmberLupin
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlupin.html

Post by AmberLupin »

I enjoy both. I like listening to audiobooks when I travel and when I'm going for a walk. Listening to music in those situations bores me.
I like physical books when I have a minute to spare or a lazy afternoon to dedicate to reading.
Carolynemery33

Post by Carolynemery33 »

I suppose I am more old fashioned than most of the people I know. I love to have the feel of the book in my hands. I get a thrill from going to a book store and picking one up and knowing I am taking it home to settle on the couch with a hot tea or hot cocoa and crack open the new book. I have tried audiobooks before and I can't seem to stay as interested in them as with a real book. I guess getting wrapped up in a book and seeing the page coming to an end and then quickly turning the page to the next one to continue to see what way the plot will go is part of the thrill for me and I lose that with an audiobook. I don't have anything against audiobooks and understand the convenience of them completely, but I just love the smell, feel and thrill of a real book in my hands.
kcfreeman

Post by kcfreeman »

I have tried audio books. I just can't stand listening to an audio book if I could be reading the hard copy myself. The only way I could listen to an audio book is if I was on a long car trip during which I could finish the entire book. Otherwise I would be reading a "real" book at home and an audio book while driving, and I'm not a fan of experiencing two separate stories at once.
anita_07

Post by anita_07 »

I prefer the real thing, however I've also started using Audiobooks! They make my travelling so much more interesting!
jflanagan
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jflanagan.html

Post by jflanagan »

I prefer "real" books, but I used to listen to audio books while driving. I thought I would never like ebooks but find myself reading them more than traditional books now.
jonre+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonre.html

Post by jonre+ »

I love audiobooks when Im driving long distances or if im working out. Otherwise I want to read it myself. I will listen to audiobooks if Im not feeling well, curled up on the couch with a blanket pulled up to my chin. That way I don't even have to turn the pages. Sometimes its a treat to have someone read to you. Like a back rub.
Paul_metto
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-metto.html

Post by Paul_metto »

:D No audio books for me, i think i am a good reader when it comes to books but a poor listener, when driving i prefer to listen to speeches or music but not audio books.

-- 25 Jun 2014, 11:42 --
TJack

Post by TJack »

preferably the real thing but audiobooks are very handy in the car or but when you can't read either because you're driving or don't want to get motion sickness
BobGrant

Post by BobGrant »

I personally find audiobooks not my kind of style as I find that the reader reads it in a storytelling form rather than I suppose "reading" form. Not sure if it does apply to all books though because I've only tried audiobook once and it really put me off.
vrussell001
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vrussell001.html

Post by vrussell001 »

Audio books have their uses, they are great while commuting, particularly with a car full of kids. I don't think you get quite the mental picture that you do curled up with a traditional book though.
Kcastro326

Post by Kcastro326 »

I prefer the real thing. There's nothing like having a book in your hands.
tildeath09

Post by tildeath09 »

I have only ever listened to one audiobook! And that was when I was teaching my little boy how to use them on my Nook so he can learn how to read. I myself prefer a book I can hold in my hands and turn the pages of. There's just something about listening to the pages turn, the weight of the book in your hands, and looking at the words on the pages that makes it so much fun. :)

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”