Book you never finished

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
creynier
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Book you never finished

Post by creynier »

Middlesex. My husband read it and said it was fantastic but for some reason, I would get bored and begin to daydream after about a page of the book every time I picked it up. I guess it just wasn't meant to be.
Mkeyth

Post by Mkeyth »

Stephen King's It. I read 3/4, watched the film on TV and din't like the ending, so I put away the book.
theSarayiahpost

Post by theSarayiahpost »

I never finished The Bourne Ultimatum. Got to half way through - totally different to the film.
BeDaring

Post by BeDaring »

I couldn't get to the end of the 4th Harry Potter book. I read it when it first came out and even with all the hype I just found JK Rowling so boring. Her books just went on and on and most time I just felt like she could get to the point in a more concise way!
AmandaRose

Post by AmandaRose »

I started reading "Why is God Laughing?" by Deepak Chopra. It was good and certainly interesting, but I started reading another book around the same time and got caught up in it. I'll probably go back to reading it once I finish my current book; it seems like it will be worth it.
tonya10057
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: honest illusions
Currently Reading: The next always
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by tonya10057 »

The last hunger games book,I couldn't really get into it for some reason.
laci_baby
Favorite Author: Oscar Wilde
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
fav_author_id: 2475

Post by laci_baby »

tonya10057 wrote:The last hunger games book,I couldn't really get into it for some reason.
Though i loved the first one, and was alright with the second one, the third one sorta lost me too. Justwasnt what i was expecting, therefor making me lose interest i suppose.

Treasure Island. I've tried so many times, but i just cant.
Fairytales are more than true: not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -Neil Gaiman
RoseOfTheDawn

Post by RoseOfTheDawn »

I just could not finish the Bible! I couldn't even get properly started!
Hate the sin, love the sinner. (Gandhi)
stevethegirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevethegirl.html

Post by stevethegirl »

Tender is the night, it was just too hard to force myself to pick it up!
eris42
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eris42.html
Latest Review: "Call Me Tuesday" by Leigh Byrne

Post by eris42 »

I never got to finish the last eight pages of The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. I had rented a hut on a beach in Thailand and, on arriving, chose the thickest book on the shelf of the lounge's book exchange. I couldn't put it down and for the next 48 hours, outside of the occasional conversation on the beach with other travelers, that book and the beach were my only world.

Unfortunately I had misread my flight information and had fallen asleep the night before my departure thinking I still had the next morning to finish the book. On waking, however, I double checked and it turned out I was late. I thought about leaving behind one of the books I had just bought to bring back to Indonesia with me in exchange, but second hand English language books did not exist on the island I was living on and I didn't feel like lugging around a 600 page book just to finish the last eight, so I left it behind, unfinished.

This question itself reminded me of a documentary I saw about ten years ago called The Stone Reader. A book that remains unfinished, barely begun in fact, later becomes something of an obsession for the filmmaker. I recommend it as a must see for any bibliophile.
Latest Review: "Call Me Tuesday" by Leigh Byrne
Freethinker

Post by Freethinker »

Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Wolf and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

Started both of them twice and can barely make it a third of the way through before I give up.
alwaysreading09
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysreading09.html
Latest Review: "3 Days of Demons" by Ed Greenberg

Post by alwaysreading09 »

House of leaves. My friend told me to take it and read it. I tried and just couldnt do it. I tried to give it back and she insisted that no matter how long it took i needed to keep it and finish it. Its been almost 4 years now and I still have this book lol. Not sure she will ever get it back. I always tell her I will bring it but she refuses.
Latest Review: "3 Days of Demons" by Ed Greenberg
rekha123

Post by rekha123 »

Sherlock holmes! Such a huge book with lots of strategies!
Carrie R
Favorite Author: So many
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... d=19706">A Fine Balance</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull

Post by Carrie R »

I couldn't finish a couple of the more recent Patricia Cornwell books, which is a shame, because I used to love her work.
Official OnlineBookClub.org review of Eating Bull ~ March book of the month!

Review of The Seneca Scourge - Previous book of the month!
Happily Candied
Favorite Author: Keith Donohue
Favorite Book: The Stolen Child
Currently Reading: Harry Potter
fav_author_id: 5212

Post by Happily Candied »

I've never finished Jeffrey Eugenides' Middlesex. It's a shame, too, because The Virgin Suicides changed my life when I was younger. I started reading the award winning book at least six times, each time getting just a little bit farther into the book. Every attempt was made when I was in college though, and looking back now, I'm almost certain that all of my official school reading assignments are what caused me to never finish the book. I hate getting sidetracked!

I have a lot more personal time these days so Middlesex is back on my to-read list. (The Marriage Plot, Eugenides' third novel, is also on the list.) The list is long though, so I probably won't get to it for a while.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”