Male Vs Female Authors What do you prefer?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Male or Female Authors?

Male
45%
Female
55%

Total votes: 80

Shinyfox
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shinyfox.html

Re: Male Vs Female Authors What do you prefer?

Post by Shinyfox »

I have mostly female authors on my shelf, but that is because I currently have a LOT of romance/paranormal romance books on my shelf. I don't usually pay attention to the gender of the author when picking out a book. If it sounds good to me I'll read it =)
BookFever
Favorite Book: I could not possibly choose.
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfever.html
Latest Review: "You, in Your Green Shirt" by Barbara Monier

Post by BookFever »

This is a really great question - and one that I have never put thought into until you brought it to my attention. I definitely have more books written by females on my shelves and I probably prefer books that are more commonly written by females (chick lit, romance, YA). However, the books that I have read by males have all (for the most part) been really good, as well. Really great prompt, though. Maybe I'll pay a bit more attention next time I am at the bookstore and try to broaden my horizons!!
Latest Review: "You, in Your Green Shirt" by Barbara Monier
angeleyes74

Post by angeleyes74 »

thats hard to pick, I have alot of both but if I have to pick Id say male. My fav are the ones that tell the stories from each (or at least the 2 main) charactors, it makes the stories more interesting
jdheevee
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdheevee.html

Post by jdheevee »

I have no preference between male and female authors. I like any author that keeps me reading.
kayleymicek
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kayleymicek.html

Post by kayleymicek »

I tend to read a lot of young adult books from female writers and I guess I do like female authors the best.
RJohnReves
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

My author preference is not gender based. Its talent based.
NYpeaches
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nypeaches.html

Post by NYpeaches »

I prefer male authors, in general.
RebekaV
Favorite Author: J K Rowling
Favorite Book: Jane Eyre
Currently Reading: Guardian of Deceit
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebekav.html
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson

Post by RebekaV »

I don't care as long as the book is good. But looking at my bookshelf I have more Female authors.
"What's coming will come and we'll just have to meet it when it does." - J K Rowling
Latest Review: "Memories from the Front Line" by Henry Chew, Neil Jopson
terraform
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-terraform.html

Post by terraform »

I can't actually think of any female authors that I love the work of, but I think that perhaps the fact that men have been able to write and publish for far longer than women have is why that is the case. Until recently (say, the 1980's?) I think that the book industry was heavily male dominated. Nowadays obviously it's much better, but I'd assume that female authors are still much rarer because of the old social stigma.
And by the way, patrickt, have you considered the fact that you might miss out if you actively avoid any book authored by a female..? I can't conceive any valid reason one would do such a thing, aha!?
Craig Meggy

Post by Craig Meggy »

Makes absolutely no difference
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

This might sound crazy, but I think female authors have a better sense of humor. They always make me giggle.
cyndiha11
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndiha11.html
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne

Post by cyndiha11 »

I don't have a preference for either, but probably have read more books by female authors.
“I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you are not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
Latest Review: "Empty Shell" by Ashley Fontainne
ParaDice
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradice.html

Post by ParaDice »

Actually I don't have a preference. I choose my books by the content not the sex of the author. I never even considered if the books I owned were more one sex or the other. But now that you bought this to my attention, I'm going to check out the books I've purchased in the last 3 - 6 months and see if my choices lean more one way or the other.
sand1
Favorite Book: mara daughter of the nile
Currently Reading: grey wolves series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sand1.html

Post by sand1 »

that is such an interesting question I can't decide. I feel like female authors in general are able to capture personalities and do better on the thinking of the characters, but male authors are better at placing the scene and the development of the story of course there are exceptions but I think it depends what I am looking for plot or people? I have not even noticed the imagination thing I will have to keep track and figure out what I read more!
Airam Velarde
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2828">The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes</a>
Currently Reading: Complete Tales and Poems
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-airam-velarde.html
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Airam Velarde »

I do not really have a preference in this. It doesn't matter to me if a book was written by a male or female and I really do not think their gender makes any difference as to whether a book is good or not.
"A man is not idle because he is absorbed in thought. There is a visible labor and there is an invisible labor."

~Victor Hugo
Latest Review: "Deadly Secrets" by Robert Boris Riskin

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”