Ssssh or noise

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
BookWorm07
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm07.html
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil

Re: Ssssh or noise

Post by BookWorm07 »

I prefer the quiet, but I can ignore the noise if I have to. There is nothing like a silent house when you are immersed into another world.
"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic" - J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "The Voice of Thunder" by Raina Kadavil
Archie1791
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-archie1791.html

Post by Archie1791 »

It should be sssssshhhhh but if iam totally into the book then it doesn't matter.
Lilapo9
Favorite Author: Diane Duane
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 29675">The Ministry of Cantors</a>
Currently Reading: Handbook for Cantors
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilapo9.html
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
Reading Device: B00EM3WGYY
fav_author_id: 4363

Post by Lilapo9 »

I generally like reading in quiet so that I can immerse myself totally in the story and its sounds. A well written book will take you out of your own time and place and transport you to another environment with sights, smells and sounds. If I am reading for speed I will often listen to classical music. If I am reading something that is upsetting me I will listen to ocean waves to try to calm down, especially if it is something that I have to read and would not have normally chosen to read it.
Latest Review: "Memory of Miracles" by Beth Durkee
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Post by GKCfan »

I either like to read in silence, or with nice instrumental music playing, like classical.
robind13
Currently Reading: The Lullaby Sky
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robind13.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by robind13 »

I feel more distracted with silence than background noise, so I read with the tv on, usually reruns of a show i've already seen
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
hvotruba1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hvotruba1.html

Post by hvotruba1 »

The only thing that can catch my attention without irritating me while reading are my bunnies. I will pause to give them snuggles if they hop over. Otherwise, quiet, tv, radio, people talking... I just read louder in my head.
Dando
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dando.html
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann

Post by Dando »

I prefer quite, but if it is a good book, noise won't distract me.
Latest Review: "The Broken Gift" by Daniel friedmann
Aspen_Reads
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice+ The Notebook
Currently Reading: too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aspen-reads.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Aspen_Reads »

I read in the car, when my fiancé is driving, although I try not too, he almost threw my book out the window once! (He only didn't because he realized that he bought it and didn't want to waste the money) So I can block out the radio and TV, although I prefer to read in silence. That way, if I hear a song, sometimes all I can remember is the book I was reading when I heard it. Like Rock Me, by One Direction accompanying Nineteen Minutes (the making love parts). So, I try not to read, unless I intentionally put the music on.
"I was born with a reading list I will never finish." -Maud Casey
3chicnP
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-3chicnp.html

Post by 3chicnP »

I prefer the absolute silence. I can't focus AT ALL with ANY sounds. Even the sound of water running will distract me. I tend to lock myself in a room to read because my home is a full house.
I am a free spirit
like mafia
Beautiful_Soul
Favorite Author: Jodi Picoult
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 481">Peter Pan</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2678

Post by Beautiful_Soul »

I can usually tune out noise most of the time. I have cochlear implants (similar to hearing aids) I'm totally deaf without them so if any kind of noise bothers me I can just take my implants off. Pretty convenient in some situtations. The first time I said I was "taking my ears off" to my husband while we were dating he looked at me like I was nuts. He said "I don't know what that means but ok" LOL When something is too loud I simply say "I'm taking my ears off"

I love listening to running water, chirping birds and when I visit florida the sounds of the ocean while reading is very peaceful.
Taylor Razzani
Favorite Author: Carlos Ruiz Zafón
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 59294">The Shadow of the Wind (The Cemetery of Forgotten Books)</a>
Currently Reading: The Bachman Books
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-razzani.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
fav_author_id: 2684

Post by Taylor Razzani »

I prefer silence, but out of necessity I've had to learn to read with at least a little background noise (if not a lot :roll: ).
KAYKAYKAY60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaykaykay60.html

Post by KAYKAYKAY60 »

Boy, when I was younger, it didn't matter what was happening around me. I could read anywhere, anytime, anyplace. Now, not so much. But I do like quiet music in the background, preferably classical piano.
Tgoody53015
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6356">The Girl On The Train</a>
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tgoody53015.html
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey

Post by Tgoody53015 »

I have always needed some kind of background noise. When I was in school I would do my reading and homework while watching/listening to the TV. When I read the TV is always on whether its just me or if my husband is watching it. I also read at the bowling alley while my husband is bowling so that is very noisy.
Latest Review: "Straight Ahead, In the Dark" by S. M. Bailey
Kaitlyn12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0">Lost</a>
Currently Reading: City of Bones
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn12.html
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez

Post by Kaitlyn12 »

I prefer to have it completely quiet, but that doesn't happen very often for me. When I read at work, the radio is always on and when I am at home, my boyfriend is always around and he doesn't know how to be quiet.
Latest Review: "Merikh's Daughter" by Gabriela M. Sanchez
Kardelen8012
Currently Reading: The Picture of Dorian Grey
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kardelen8012.html

Post by Kardelen8012 »

If I read something important like something I have to remember or something that I will write about, I prefer silence. But other times sounds don't bother me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”