Where do you get your books ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Where do you get your books ?

Post by DATo »

Please excuse me if this topic has already been discussed.

I get most of my books used from used book stores, book fairs or the library sale table. I will occasionally pay full price when I want to read a book badly enough and don't want to wait. The last time I did this was after a discussion on an internet board where the posters were raving about 'A Confederacy Of Dunces'. I had gotten to know the posters there quite well and trusted their judgement so I went right out to Boarders and bought it ... no regrets, it was worth every penny of the full price.

But this is how I mainly built what I consider a really great library : I am from St. Louis, and every April there is a HUGE book fair held at one of the shopping centers (The Greater St. Louis Book Fair - you can Google it). There are literally a couple of acres of books organized by topic. The books are collected through donations all year by the non-profit organization and the proceeds go to local charities. It lasts for only one weekend - Friday night through Sunday, and sometimes into Monday. The most expensive hard bounds top out at $5 and paperbacks are $1.50. As the fair continues the tables are restocked as the books are bought with more books so you never know when a prized title will appear so I go all three days. Also, as the fair goes on the prices are reduced to the point that hard bounds can go down to fifty cents and paperbacks to a dime. I have been known to spend a couple of hundred bucks and leave with three shopping carts full of books.

I also check out the sale table at the local libraries. For instance, yesterday, at the library, I bought a like-new hard bound copy of 5 John le Carr'e novels for a half a buck.

Just wondering if, as a rule, you buy books new, used, through the net, or just check out from a library and return ... also, how many people purchase online electronic medium (not in public domain but downloadable on a time-out basis for a price).

“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
pa3de8
Favorite Author: Brian Keene
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: Great Train Wrecks of Eastern PA
fav_author_id: 25750

Post by pa3de8 »

I get most of my books of paperbackswap.com. Very rarely buy a new book anymore unless it's something I wish to keep. Also get books from Goodwill, which is a pretty good and cheap source of books at times. I have three Goodwill's within ten miles.

Scott B.
DATo

Post by DATo »

Thanks so much for the "Goodwill" suggestion pa3de8! We too have Goodwill stores in my community but I never considered looking for books there before. Great idea !!! Thanks again !!!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
pa3de8
Favorite Author: Brian Keene
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: Great Train Wrecks of Eastern PA
fav_author_id: 25750

Post by pa3de8 »

DATo wrote:Thanks so much for the "Goodwill" suggestion pa3de8! We too have Goodwill stores in my community but I never considered looking for books there before. Great idea !!! Thanks again !!!
No problem. I never thought of it either until I stopped there one day and saw the whole back wall lined with them. I think it's .75 cents for soft covers and 1.50 for hard covers.

Scott B.
sweetpea
Favorite Author: Ransom Riggs
Favorite Book: Miss Peregrines Home 4 Peculiar Children
Currently Reading: The Sisters Brothers by Patrick deWitt
fav_author_id: 2933

Post by sweetpea »

Actual paper books from www.omahonys.ie
Kindle books from Amazon
Gannon
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

@Dato

Omg, those book fairs sound like heaven to me. I could spend a whole day there and I would need a couple of wheelbarrows for all the books I would buy. Great to see that the proceeds go to charities as well.
As for where I get my books, I get about 90% of my books off the internet. There are no really good book shops where I live.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
RuqeeD

Post by RuqeeD »

DATo wrote:I am from St. Louis, and every April there is a HUGE book fair held at one of the shopping centers (The Greater St. Louis Book Fair - you can Google it). There are literally a couple of acres of books organized by topic. The books are collected through donations all year by the non-profit organization and the proceeds go to local charities. It lasts for only one weekend - Friday night through Sunday, and sometimes into Monday. The most expensive hard bounds top out at $5 and paperbacks are $1.50. As the fair continues the tables are restocked as the books are bought with more books so you never know when a prized title will appear so I go all three days. Also, as the fair goes on the prices are reduced to the point that hard bounds can go down to fifty cents and paperbacks to a dime. I have been known to spend a couple of hundred bucks and leave with three shopping carts full of books.
Oh I really wish we had something like that here! There's not really anything even close :(

I normally buy my books from Amazon either through the main or through it's marketplace. There are really great prices on the Amazon Marketplace, books priced as little as 1p (and a reasonable £2.80 shipping delivery from all over the world). Sometimes if I can't wait for a book and its a new release I'll buy from the supermarket. For my classics, there are two really great bookshops here that have such a great range in different editions for absolutely brilliant prices, I have an ongoing love affair with those shops :D .
Tralala
Favorite Author: Hubert Selby Jr.
Favorite Book: Retro Hell
fav_author_id: 2789

Post by Tralala »

Goodwill prices can vary, depending (from what I can tell) on the general state of economics in the area. Here (Madison, WI) Goodwill's a bit pricier. But GWs up north are more reasonable, and the ones in Rockford are dirt cheap. More depressing, though.
Salvation Army's usually the best for books, selection and price.
Savers is okay, not great. And you've gotta deal with a lot of "oh, isn't this quaint!" people.
The book store attached to my local library is the BEST! I don't know if they don't know what they've got, or if they just don't care...I always leave with at least ten books, and never spend over ten dollars.
How perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure.
DATo

Post by DATo »

Gannon wrote:@Dato

Omg, those book fairs sound like heaven to me. I could spend a whole day there and I would need a couple of wheelbarrows for all the books I would buy.
A little story about my last visit to the book fair mentioned in my OP:

I had attended the fair on each of the weekend days and I also went by after work on Monday (I get off at 3 PM) and was surprised to find the fair was still ongoing. There were only a few people there as this was a workday and the last day of the fair. I thought I would just linger around till the rush hour traffic died down a bit. They don't want to repack the books because of all the work involved and whatever is left over is, sadly, thrown into huge dumpsters rather than restocked.

After I had been there awhile someone came over the loudspeaker and said, "All hard bound editions are now reduced to one dollar and paperbacks to 25 cents." Well, I started stacking books which interested me - hard bound as well as paperback - into my shopping cart. After about another half hour went by someone came over the loudspeaker again and said, "All hard bound books now 25 cents and paperbacks a dime." So I started shoving even more books into my cart including a complete, and mint, 11 volume hard bound set of Will and Ariel Durant's 'Story Of Civilization'. When my cart was overflowing I took it up to the check out and started taking the books out. You give your books to one person who reads the price to another person who tabs the cost. The "tab" woman said to me with a mock scornful look on her face ... "DON'T TAKE THOSE BOOKS OUT !!!" ... I just sort of stood there with a confused look on my face and then she smiled and said .. "How about 5 dollars for the whole cart?" I don't think I ever got my wallet out so fast before in my life.
― Steven Wright
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

The library.....and if I love it, I will buy it from a bookstore.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Tralala
Favorite Author: Hubert Selby Jr.
Favorite Book: Retro Hell
fav_author_id: 2789

Post by Tralala »

DATo wrote:

Omg, those book fairs sound like heaven to me. I could spend a whole day there and I would need a couple of wheelbarrows for all the books I would buy.

I had attended the fair on each of the weekend days and I also went by after work on Monday (I get off at 3 PM) and was surprised to find the fair was still ongoing. There were only a few people there as this was a workday and the last day of the fair. I thought I would just linger around till the rush hour traffic died down a bit. They don't want to repack the books because of all the work involved and whatever is left over is, sadly, thrown into huge dumpsters rather than restocked.

After I had been there awhile someone came over the loudspeaker and said, "All hard bound editions are now reduced to one dollar and paperbacks to 25 cents." Well, I started stacking books which interested me - hard bound as well as paperback - into my shopping cart. After about another half hour went by someone came over the loudspeaker again and said, "All hard bound books now 25 cents and paperbacks a dime." So I started shoving even more books into my cart including a complete, and mint, 11 volume hard bound set of Will and Ariel Durant's 'Story Of Civilization'. When my cart was overflowing I took it up to the check out and started taking the books out. You give your books to one person who reads the price to another person who tabs the cost. The "tab" woman said to me with a mock scornful look on her face ... "DON'T TAKE THOSE BOOKS OUT !!!" ... I just sort of stood there with a confused look on my face and then she smiled and said .. "How about 5 dollars for the whole cart?" I don't think I ever got my wallet out so fast before in my life.
That's what I'd call a bookgasm!!
How perfectly goddamned delightful it all is, to be sure.
mitchritz

Post by mitchritz »

i get my book usually from the library or some time borrow from friends
RuqeeD

Post by RuqeeD »

DATo wrote: A little story about my last visit to the book fair mentioned in my OP:

Ok I'm moving. Where did you say this happens again? :D
Gannon
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

DATo wrote:

That sounds fantastic, the only part that is disappointing is that they dump what is not sold. I would love to fly over for the next fair but I don't think I could get all the books I purchased onto the plane back. :lol:
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Thats a fantastic deal. When I lived in Utah I bought books from Deseret Industries, thats the LDS church thrift store. They usually had a good selection, from a dollar to two dollars. Paperbacks were 50 cents. Once a month they would have a half price sale, sometimes 3 for a dollar and we would get a car load at those sales. Sadly, the ones that were left they threw away. I caught them one time throwing stuff in the dumpster and I asked them if I could have the books. They said, go ahead. Its all garbage. I got about 100 books, some furniture, a microwave that worked, a TV that didnt work, records, picture albums and a treadmill. I just meant to get the books, but I couldnt pass up the rest of the stuff. I love junk. :lol:
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”