Where do you get your books ?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Auggie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Where do you get your books ?

Post by Auggie »

I usually purchase my books at the local bookseller. Very rarely is there ever a big book-sale like the one talked about previously around here. At the moment I live in a Uni. town so there's a great book store on the main bar/restaurant street that works as buy/sell. The only issue is that most of the books there are in pretty bad shape, and the ones that aren't haven't been that much cheaper than buying the books new off of Amazon.

Speaking of that, I like to buy used books off of Amazon but only if I have a bit of a book collection already going to keep me occupied before the books arrive. It's too much to do expedited shipping and standard shipping can take a while.

Every now and then there is a library sale. If I had a garage sale mate I might go poke around at those! But they can be kind of creepy if you're by yourself.
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

I love book fairs and tend to buy a lot of books from them. I buy new and second books mostly online.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

Mainly online at Amazon now. However I use to get my books at the local book shop or fête stall. Library sales are also another good place to grab a bargain
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Amazon hands down for price and service...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
TD Matzenik
Favorite Author: Too many
Favorite Book: Too many
Currently Reading: Ulysses by James Joyce

Post by TD Matzenik »

Just about anywhere. Online, junk shops, park benches, book shops, from friends, Abebooks is a very good source for titles that are hard to find.
jessimarimudo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessimarimudo.html

Post by jessimarimudo »

other than my nook and kindle ebooks I usually get my books from online used book stores or blackexpressions they have a deal of buying like 4 boks for $2 with a promise to buy 4 within the year at regular price ... if I'm really into the book I'll pay anyprice
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

TD Matzenik wrote:Just about anywhere. Online, junk shops, park benches, book shops, from friends, Abebooks is a very good source for titles that are hard to find.
Me Too!!! I have to look into Abebooks though, never heard of that one. Like you say, I gather reading material everywhere I possibly can.

I love Barnes and Noble.com, if you have their card you get free shipping and a discount. They also have a search feature so even if they don't stock a particular title they will hook you up with independent sellers who have it. There was an obscure fire fighting text I was interested in after reading another book referring to it. B and N had a bookseller who had the book! For like $4.99 :D They also have a wish list feature I use a lot.
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Is Barnes and Noble still around? I heard they went belly up.

I get books in places like that too. Thrift stores, library sales, yard sales, city dump when I worked there and so on.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

Nah Big, that was Borders...many of us that still mourn its passing
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
sianirosco
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sianirosco.html

Post by sianirosco »

I normally get my books online since they go through to my ereader, but if I am at bootsale or such like I tend to have a look at the books and buy any I like.
DanBR

Post by DanBR »

Today I buy them on Amazon, mostly, but sometimes I'd still go to a bookstore, especially if there's a café attached.
klingon2me
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klingon2me.html

Post by klingon2me »

Via charity shops when browsing or through Ebay and Amazon for specific searches
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

The first week of June my library has a book sale and I usually get a bagful of books for 20 dollars and throughout the summer and early fall, I spend my Saturday mornings going to tag/ garage sales where I can get books for 10-50 cents a piece.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Starmy

Post by Starmy »

I download online. ^^
gsmergss
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gsmergss.html
Latest Review: "My Husband's Request" by Jessika Hensley

Post by gsmergss »

I buy most of my books from Barnes and Noble just because I love new books, but sometimes if I just want to read something new but not sure if I'll like it, I'll go to Savers which is kind of like a Goodwill and get 3 books for under $10, if you love books you'll understand this great bargain!
Latest Review: "My Husband's Request" by Jessika Hensley

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”