Percy Jackson/Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/Narnia/Twilight

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.

Which do you think is better?

Percy Jackson
24%
Harry Potter
40%
Narnia
6%
Twilight
9%
Lord of the Rings
21%

Total votes: 173

TimeKeeperApprentice
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 6470

Percy Jackson/Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings/Narnia/Twilight

Post by TimeKeeperApprentice »

What movies/books are better? All these books/movies are very popular (Except the Percy Jackson movie, it was bad), so who's your fave? My fave is Harry Potter, I love the books/movies so much! There shall never ever be another Harry Potter, as in any story 'like' Harry Potter will never be as good or better. But, since I also love Narnia, I'm enabling you guys to vote twice. Who shall win?
Potter Fan Forever
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I didn't read the Twilight series, but my wife who did read the series dragged me to the theater for the first movie when it originally came out. I actually really like the first movie of the series. The sequels are decent too, but the first movie really stands out to me as being well scripted and mostly very well directed. Ironically, the first book/movie are my wife's least favorite of the series, but I'm more of a fan for dark suspense, subtle drama and antiheros where as she is more happy with action.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Luffy

Post by Luffy »

I vote LoTR as a movie, but HP as books. Haven't read PJ or Twil.
kg211970
Favorite Author: Tara Hyland
Favorite Book: Daughters of Fortune
Currently Reading: Black Jewels Trilogy
fav_author_id: 3001

Post by kg211970 »

for some reason i'm not a Twilight Fan, never really got onto it.... Harry Potter Movies were really good, LOTR was pretty good, The Narnia Series, I used to have the original books a very long time ago, love those books, never really got into the movies though
Gannon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Has to be LOTR, TKA. :)
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
SkyAngel

Post by SkyAngel »

I will choose Twilight
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Lord of the Rings ... no contest
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
StefanB25
Favorite Author: Elizabeth Kostova
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading: Jane Erye and Kitchen Confidential
fav_author_id: 2969

Post by StefanB25 »

I voted twice for Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings would be the favorite over Harry Potter though. Twilight - No. I could stop there, but I won't. One of my best friends has read the entire series of Twilight and eventually loan me his copy of the first book - I got about a third of the way through and I became tired of "Edward" being in every other sentence. The movies - tried the first (I work at a small own movie store) and I usually tell customers that I would like it better if I was a sixteen year old high school girl. There was also a good quote that I saw online one time, went something along the line of "Harry Potter is about facing your fears and finding strength at the right moments, while Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend."
Va_treehugger

Post by Va_treehugger »

I agree with luffy, Lord of the Rings as best movie and Harry Potter for best book. Woot woot for both.
TimeKeeperApprentice
Favorite Author: Joseph delaney
fav_author_id: 6470

Post by TimeKeeperApprentice »

I respect your picks.
Potter Fan Forever
Snickerdoodle9
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snickerdoodle9.html
fav_author_id: 2909

Post by Snickerdoodle9 »

Harry Potter is the best! Percy Jackson and Narnia are good too, but Harry Potter is a classic and always will be. I haven't even read Lord of the Rings or Twilight, so I am not the best judge.
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

LotR and HP for books!

I have read all of the Narnia books, and I think they'd be ranked higher if the series was more consistent. Harry Potter isn't exactly the most consistent either (books 4 and 6 were pretty mediocre compared to the others IMO), but a few of the Narnia books really just bored me. I recall having some difficulty even getting through one or two of them as a child. The good ones were fantastic, but the bad ones were...well, bad.

I read the first two Twilight books. Not my cup of tea, for sure. Also read the first two Percy Jackson books, but I wasn't really interested for some reason.

I only ever saw movies for LotR and HP, so I can't really judge the others as movies.
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

These were some tough choices! I voted for Harry Potter and LOTR, but I also love the Narnia books. I picked the first two because I was introduced to them sooner, though, and they undoubtedly led me to reading C.S. Lewis' works. I like the movie adaptations of all three. As for Percy Jackson, I saw the movie but have never read the books, and I read Twilight but hated it, so I didn't bother with those movies.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
kes_arn

Post by kes_arn »

LOTR - with out quetsion
BKircher
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bkircher.html

Post by BKircher »

Like all of the books except Percy Jackson, I never managed to get into them. However the first time I watched the Twilight Move I was with my brother. We where sitting in his room with headphones trying to be quiet so we didn't wake anyone else. He finally made me leave the room I could not stop laughing and/or complaining about what they get different from the books.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”