Is there a book from your childhood that stands out?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
TigersUnderFoot
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tigersunderfoot.html

Re: Is there a book from your childhood that stands out?

Post by TigersUnderFoot »

Wild Magic by Tamora Pierce is ultimately the book that got me obsessed with reading. I kept my first copy of it and still read it on an annual basis.
Bibliophile97
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: So so many. . .
Currently Reading: 80 A.D. The Tekhan of Anuket
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile97.html
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Bibliophile97 »

Yeah, this one series about this girl named Cam who had an eidetic memory. It was kinda like a younger version of Nancy Drew.
Endless-Starry-Mind
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-endless-starry-mind.html

Post by Endless-Starry-Mind »

The book Lord of the Flies really stood out to me. As well as the book The Giver. I recommend both of those to even adults. I also remember Bridge to Terabithia and a couple others whose plot lines I remember but titles I can't recall.
krichardson
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krichardson.html

Post by krichardson »

Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce. This book started me on a path to nerdy book worm. Thanks Tamora! :P
ness85

Post by ness85 »

Even being a huge reader back then, I rarely read anything on the school syllabus.. just got by (surprisingly well) by winging it through assignments, tests and class discussions in English. That said, I have very fond memories of "Danny, the Champion of the World" by Roald Dahl and "Bridge to Terabithia" by Katherine Paterson.

I read a lot of "The Babysitters Club" too.. but I would equate those to trashy magazines - they're enjoyable but the content lacks substance and doesn't linger.

My 6 year old daughter and I are currently working our way through Roald Dahl's books - it seems a lot of us have fond memories of reading his words. My daughter named her budgie James after the character from "James and the Giant Peach".

"Pride and Prejudice" (yes.. I am one of those), was my favourite book as a teenager, and still is one of my favourites to this day.

I recently went back to my school syllabus and read "1984", and loved it but that is a different story.
NovaJay2415
Favorite Author: Suzanne Collins
Favorite Book: Cinder
Currently Reading: Sylo Icecore
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novajay2415.html
fav_author_id: 2536

Post by NovaJay2415 »

"The Giving Tree," is the first book I remember listening to and once I could read, I reread it many times. It is defiantly one of my favorite childhood books! :D
Bookwise
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookwise.html

Post by Bookwise »

I will always remember reading a beautiful copy of The Secret Garden, I wish I still had it.
Winter
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winter.html
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford

Post by Winter »

I read The Story of My Life by Hellen Keller when I was in second grade. It made a real impact on me because it was such an amazing life story. I was pretty small, so I really responded to her accounts of her childhood.
Latest Review: "The 30-Day Writing Challenge" by Sara Crawford
cam_gold
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cam-gold.html

Post by cam_gold »

A couple of books stand out from my childhood. One is a romance mystery set in the islands entitled The Sun Salutes You. And if you ask what I was doing reading romances as a child, well, this one wasn't any kind of torrid affair. Mostly, it stood out because it was set on the island where I am from, and the characters were people of color - something that was pretty rare back then.

The other book was a fictionalized biography of a white plantation owner who was considered an evil witch who killed all five [?] of her husbands. She was very cruel to her slaves, terrifying them to death. She was violently killed by some of the slaves. Her plantation house was preserved as a museum and although I have never been there, it is said that the blood-splattered walls where she was killed is still there.

The book is called The White Witch of Rosehall.
Jen319164
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen319164.html
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou

Post by Jen319164 »

For me definetely a girl who could fly oh I read that book probably 15 times with no exaggeration
Latest Review: "Wishes" by Leila Virou
prarich
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prarich.html
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen

Post by prarich »

Loved Enid Blyton's series, couldn't ever stop reading them! Also loved the Nancy Drew mysteries as I was growing up.
Latest Review: "The Angel with Burnt Wings" by Scarlett Jensen
Nirvana

Post by Nirvana »

Enid Blyton, the Famous Five. I remember it so much, so fun when you're younger :)
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

A few, actually. Hardy Boys, The Three Investigators, Where The Wild Things Are, Charlotte's Web

Oh, and does anybody remember "Frosty, A Raccoon To Remember"?
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
chstress
Currently Reading: Preda's Voice
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chstress.html

Post by chstress »

That would be Charlotte's Web by EB White. M y third grade teacher began reading a chapter every friday after lunch and I could not wait at all to find out what happened the next week; so I had my mom go out and buy it for me before the teacher ever finished. I did enjoy listening to her read it but I could not be patient enough not to know what happened and my love off books was born and right after that book I read every Nancy Drew book within a month, AND THEN IT WAS ONTO THE Happy Hollisters and the Hardy Boys.
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

The Famous Five...and any Nancy drew book...!!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”