Is there a book from your childhood that stands out?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
annabear3
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: Wild-Cheryl Strayed
Currently Reading: A Little F'd Up: Why feminism is not a dirty word
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabear3.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: Is there a book from your childhood that stands out?

Post by annabear3 »

The Babysitters Club. I read all of them. I was obsessed.
<3 Annabear
PluviophileReader
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluviophilereader.html
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan

Post by PluviophileReader »

The BFG by Roald Dahl was the book that got me hooked. I probably read that book at least five times growing up.
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan
Headbanginghunny
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-headbanginghunny.html

Post by Headbanginghunny »

The Series of Unfortunate Events series stands out in my mind to this day. I also enjoyed Number the Stars by Lois Lowry that I read in grade school. Also, all of the Goosebumps books!
sammi8764
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading: Dorothy Must Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammi8764.html

Post by sammi8764 »

My most favorite children's books were and always will be Stellaluna and The Rainbow Fish. I'm not exactly sure why, but I never forgot those stories. I remember them to this day.
You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.

- C. S. Lewis
swalker123

Post by swalker123 »

Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. It lead me to a love of math and science.
Amsha
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amsha.html
Latest Review: "Trophy Target" by Allen Mitchum

Post by Amsha »

There's this romance book on Harlequin, it was called Mills and Boon at that time, I've read as a child that I completely forgotten the title but I remembered distinctly the hero's job. He's a salvager on lost and broken ships and I liked what he does for a living. Saving cargoes and looking for lost things at sea sounds like a grand job and I remembered thinking wanting to do that as well. But then I discovered I don't have the stomach for traveling by boats and I was vastly disappointed.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one."

-George R.R. Martin
Latest Review: "Trophy Target" by Allen Mitchum
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

I have a beautiful, old, amazingly illustrated series of Peter Rabbit.
I used to watch the TV show when I was young and mum read me the books.
I still have all of them, little bit battered, but still in beautiful condition.
Wolfsbane Creations
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wolfsbane-creations.html

Post by Wolfsbane Creations »

Famous Five and Harry Potter got me into reading
amansmith
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Favorite Book: Alpha and Omega and Highland Moonlight
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amansmith.html
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by amansmith »

Ella Enchanted. It was probably one of the first books that I remember reading. I did read others before that, but it is the first one that I really remember. I have a copy of it sitting on my bookshelf today for that exact reason.
Latest Review: "My Journey To Hell (Novelette)" by John D.Ottini
readinginreview4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readinginreview4.html

Post by readinginreview4 »

Goodnight Moon is the one that stands out for me. It used to be my favorite and I still love it.
ayesha02
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha02.html

Post by ayesha02 »

This thread is fantastic. Like others have said, it brings back so many memories... There are too many books that I read back then and loved, and so many have stuck with me in memory... Though i sometimes find that the magic that existed in a book I read as a kid, just isn't the same anymore... Somehow some stories seem to have been much more complex and detailed, and just fantastic back then than they are now.

Some of my favorites were the Narnia books, all of Roald Dahl's children books, the Famous Five, other Enid Blyton series, The Secret Garden and The Little Princess, Black Beauty, The Swiss Family Robinson, Peter Pan, Harry Potter, Diane Wynne Jones (still regularly reread her books), Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice, Charles Dickens' Oliver Twist and David Copperfield, The Wheel of Time series, J.R.R Tolkien's books... too many others...

I remember also enjoying the Babysitter's Club series, the Animorphs series, Cam Jansen, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys...

Younger still, I remember my mother reading this story about a bully who steals a boys sandwich (and other food), and how he got rid of him in the end by making a really hot sandwich (or was it a drink?) and tricking him into eating eat. I can't remember the name of the book. Then, there was the Amelia Bedelia books, I loved having those read to me as a kid, they were so hilarious. And the Busytown books about Huckle Cat and Lowly Worm. My father would always make this joke about Lowly Worm being last and it always made us laugh so much...
randolphfine
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: For Whom the Bell Tolls
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randolphfine.html
Latest Review: "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by randolphfine »

Mel Carriere wrote:Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls. I read this book several times and I had to hide when I read it because the ending made me cry. I tried to chop down a tree after reading this book (the book's readers will understand), and my Mom stopped me. It was made into a rather campy movie that does not stir the imagination like the book does.
Where the Red Fern Grows was also at the top of my list. I grew up in Oklahoma hunting racoons, so I really related to the book. Other books that stood out for me was Big Red (yep, another dog book) and the Chronicles of Narnia series. Going even farther back into my younger years, I was infatuated with all the Beverly Cleary Ralph the Mouse books.
Latest Review: "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco
ayesha02
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayesha02.html

Post by ayesha02 »

Sorry I'm posting again, but does anyone remember Mr. Poppers Penguins? I loved that story for along time as a kid... used to wish we could keep the windows open and make snow slides in our living room in winter...
that_bek_girl
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: And then there were none
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-bek-girl.html
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by that_bek_girl »

Charlotte's Web! I re read this as a ten and 3 times in the last year with my children. They are reading it to me now!
You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
ambiguity+
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambiguity.html

Post by ambiguity+ »

Not one but many books because I was much of a reader. I grew up reading harry potter, and its still a part of life. Then there are all those amazing books from Roald Dahl which still are good children books. Enid Blyton's Famous five, The magic umbrella and Malory Towers also stand out.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”