Is there a book from your childhood that stands out?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
malime6
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Is there a book from your childhood that stands out?

Post by malime6 »

"Annie John" by Jamaica Kincaid is one of the best books I've read. Not sure if it is because I felt like it related so much to my life at that time or because some parts o it was so weird or because of the historical significance between the Caribbean and Europe. Best chapter of the book 'Somewhere Belgium'. I think I will reread just to see how I feel about it as an adult.
Tiffanye1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanye1.html

Post by Tiffanye1 »

I think it would have to be the Ramona Quimby series from Beverly Cleary. They even have a website now!
(I would have posted the link but being a new member constrains my ability to do this) :)
klaren2k2

Post by klaren2k2 »

I have loved reading books ever since I was a kid. My first favorites were Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew novels! I remember myself borrowing those books in the library, like that day I'd take home two books, then three books on the following day, and the next day again until I finished all Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books in the library (lol). I got addicted to reading them, and I can say that it was kind of my "stepping stone" to reading lengthy books. Then came the Harry Potter series...and those were my happiest childhood days. :)
Jas12

Post by Jas12 »

"Follow My Leader" by James B Garfield, I cannot even remember how old I was when I first read this book but, I loved it.
The story is about a boy who is blinded from an accident with firecrackers, and all he went through to continue on in life as a blind person. Eventually he is given a leader dog, one that he learned to work with, love and almost lost.
I remember this book so well and especially around the fourth of July. I think the story stuck with me all these years because I am an avid animal lover and advocate against bullying.
I believe it to be a great read for all just because of the life lessons taught and learned.
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Post by Timea »

My dad used to read me "The Thin Man" by Dashiell Hammett before I went to bed, and I remember that he did not finish it, so yeah... this one stands out.
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini
nonnie+

Post by nonnie+ »

My Side Of The Mountain rocked my world at 7 years old!
ttuso22
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ttuso22.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by ttuso22 »

I always loved the magic treehouse! I could read those books for days. I was always a big fan of series too so the series of unfortunate events was another good one!
If there’s a book you really want to read but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison
Hannaa_Campbell
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: The Fault in Our Stars
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannaa-campbell.html
fav_author_id: 2072

Post by Hannaa_Campbell »

I can't quite remember the name of it, but it was about Coyote's and I remember reading it and feeling so warm. I wish I knew it's name.
"Pain demands to be felt" - John Green
suedidit
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suedidit.html

Post by suedidit »

Yes there is! I am 55 years old. I remember when I started to read for pleasure, and not just because I had to read a book from school! I was 16 years old and got my hands on a Catherine Cookson book, THE GIRL. I stayed up all night reading it and was late the next day getting up, from there, I read all her books until the day she passed
SidnayC
Favorite Book: I am yet to read a book worthy
Currently Reading: Inescapable by Amy Bartol
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sidnayc.html
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp

Post by SidnayC »

Sleepover club by Jacquelin Wilson. Even though it was like thirteen years ago I still remember the day my mum bought it for me and the excitement I felt reading it!
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you - Maya Angelou
Latest Review: "Vampire prince" by Iris van Gorp
Titanoboa92
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-titanoboa92.html
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim

Post by Titanoboa92 »

I really liked The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum.
Latest Review: "Aim For The Moon" by Gladys Lim
salberson 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salberson-10.html

Post by salberson 10 »

Nancy Drew, Harry Potter, and A Wrinkle in Time
Debbie74
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debbie74.html

Post by Debbie74 »

"Goodnight Moon". My Mom read that book to me until it fell apart, and I still love it even today!
Ekta75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta75.html

Post by Ekta75 »

I got Harry Potter books still with me.. like the series... some famous five and Goosebumps too..
Dolliebaby77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolliebaby77.html

Post by Dolliebaby77 »

There was one book that I only remembered part of one short story out of the book it took me forever to find the book but I finally did.

Uncle Arthur's bedtime stories volume one

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”