Do today's teens read less or more?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Adakage
Currently Reading: Book of Chefs
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adakage.html

Re: Do today's teens read less or more?

Post by Adakage »

In my opinion if you want to answer this question in general then you can say that today's kids read less but. But! If you look at a small group - a group which you quarantine on the basis of intelligence ( might sound harsh but to me it seems legit), most of the children in that group will find something of what they want to know more about and they start reading. As far as I've seen it and experienced it this can easily teach them the joy of reading and in no time they start picking up even more and more literate books as well, just for entertainment. Of course this is just a totally personal point of view, based on my experiences with my limited group of friends. :)
Eric Morris
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Other Daughter
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacnthabox.html
Latest Review: Acts of the Shaddai by Anthony Jones
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Eric Morris »

I believe that teens are reading more, but I've never been a fan of putting quantity over quality. There are books on the teen bestseller list right now that 20 years ago probably wouldn't have even been published. The quality of YA fiction is extremely lackluster on the whole, with a few notable exceptions like John Green and Joseph Delaney. I find myself asking, "Is it actually a good thing that teens are reading more?". Are they really edifying their minds, or are their senses remaining idle?
Tell me something...You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

I think with more options of how to spend time, teens read less. But there really is no way to measure this.
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I think that they read less quality books today than the youth of the past did.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
crazyrussianmaria
Favorite Author: Margaret Mitchell
Currently Reading: Unearthly
Bookshelf Size: 414
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyrussianmaria.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2998

Post by crazyrussianmaria »

Definitely teens are reading much less these days than in the past. For one, there wasn't so much technology back then and books (the paper kind) were a very popular form of entertainment. Not anymore. Now, there are so many technological devices that reading is not popular anymore. Sure, there are devices for reading books that make them accessible but unless the kid is a natural reader, they don't usually pick it up later in life either.

I really want my daughter to be into reading so I'm hoping that by setting an example and reading daily to her, she will pick it up and do it on her own when she's old enough. Also, I think that I will only allow her access to games on the weekends. I just know how addictive they can be and school is so much more important. I wish they taught more classical books in American schools, like they do in Russian ones. That knowledge is priceless and would turn more kids into long-term readers.
"You still think love can save us. It's more killing than hate. Hate is so clean, so simple, like being in the ring. With hate, you just keep hitting; you hit until they stop hitting back. With love, they never stop."--- Colleen McCullough
V_bansal2912
Favorite Author: Ayn Rand
Favorite Book: Atlas Shrugged
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-bansal2912.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 2597

Post by V_bansal2912 »

Kids today are unable to sit in one place for more than 10 mins...how in the world are they suppose to enjoy something like reading a book.
Melodybold
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Melodybold »

I am almost positive teens read less than before because there are too many distractions now, such as social media, TV shows and all sorts of other activities in between.
NovelT81
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelt81.html

Post by NovelT81 »

I'll agree with kg on this. Teens are wrapped up in their electronics. Between numerous tv channels, the ability to record television shows and movies that play instantly. Let's not forget the handheld electronics and video games.
Also, look at our public libraries. They are transforming into a video rental outlet. Many people only goto the library for the sole purpose of free rentals.
Sarah Penney
Favorite Author: Tom Clancy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-penney.html
Latest Review: The Immigrant's Lament by Mois benarroch
fav_author_id: 7289

Post by Sarah Penney »

I think teens are reading less physical books. As someone who is just barely out of her own teenage years, I have to say that most people I knew in high school did read. They just didn't read physical books or even published books. Instead, teens are reading ebooks or books on Wattpad or they're reading fanfiction. So they are reading. They just aren't reading physical copies of published novels.

I suppose you could take that as either a good thing or a bad thing. On the one hand, at least they're reading. On the other hand, they probably could be reading much higher quality work than they currently are.
"My best friend is a person who will give me a book I have not read." -Abraham Lincoln
BreannaCamp9413
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-breannacamp9413.html

Post by BreannaCamp9413 »

They definitely read less. I remember in high school (4-5 years ago for me) about two kids who always had a book with them. They were always picked on for it, even by teachers!!! I only started reading for fun two years ago so I never understood how great books were back then. I think part of it is school, at least for me, it seemed like reading was a punishment. Never for fun. Which is so sad because I think of all those years I could have loved books. Instead of the years I spent annotating textbooks. This is from the perspective of a 20 year old.
BookCross
Currently Reading: Listening to God
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by BookCross »

I'm positive teens read way less than they used to. I'm still in my 20's but I know that every teen and young adult I know hardly reads anymore. I think other activities like video games, TV, internet, and social media have nearly replaced books and reading. It really makes me sad that reading has become such a rarity. I learned so much by reading when I was growing up. I always was found with books and in a library. To me, reading is relaxing and educational. Kids these days see it as just an obligation in school now, or a complete bust of time. I wish that more teens would get involved in reading instead of so many mindless and unproductive pass-times.
rainyday
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by rainyday »

I've heard far too many youth say they hate reading. It saddens me. I'm not saying that all teens hate reading - I just think avid readers have dwindled into a sort of subculture.
readingnation
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readingnation.html

Post by readingnation »

I think that they read less with all the other forms of entertainment. It's sad. I'm 22 and I have always loved to read.
saturday+deviant
Favorite Author: Riley Hart
Favorite Book: The Virgin Suicides
Currently Reading: Entice
Bookshelf Size: 744
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saturday-deviant.html
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Reading Device: B00OTWQXSI
fav_author_id: 30187

Post by saturday+deviant »

I would say that compared to when I was in school to what I see now as a substitute (specifically long-term) teens are reading just as much. There are the kids that never entertain the thought of opening a book, but there are also a lot of teenagers that read quite a few books throughout the school year. It's also hard to gauge how much they are actually reading with e readers and apps providing a less obvious form of books and magazines than their physical counterparts.
Latest Review: "The Kiss" by Michelle Bolanger
Toria_Hudson
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Toria_Hudson »

I think today's teens definitely read less. They have technology rapidly advancing in front of them giving them the opportunity to learn more, read more, and become more knowledgeable but instead they use it for superficial things. The teenagers today are more concerned with fight videos, social media, celebrities, and materialistic things. I've even heard some of them making fun of people for reading as if it's just so repulsive. It's really sad because it seems like the more technology advances the more younger generations are becoming dumber and dumber and losing the value of knowledge and excitement of simple things such as getting lost in a good book.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”