Is reading still a geeky habit?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
primrose777
Favorite Author: Chaim Potok
Favorite Book: The Chosen
Currently Reading: The Light Between Oceans
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 4227

Re: Is reading still a geeky habit?

Post by primrose777 »

Gannon wrote:
Fran wrote:I was talking with two elderly ladies yesterday who have been swapping books & book recommendations for over 70 years! They started as children and even though both lived all their lives in the same small town they were never "great" friends just acquaintances (in the sense that everyone in a small town is an acquaintance) with a shared interest in reading & books. Outside of reading they have very little in common both having lived very different lives.

Both have been library members since their early childhoods when the library was their only source of books & both would credit the local library with making their lives bearable at various challenging times of their lives and with the fact that both have 'all their marbles' (as they put it) well into their mid 80's. We had a great laugh as they regaled me with stories of the lengths they went to to get their hands on books banned in Ireland in the 1940 & 50's, and to keep them hidden from parents and the dreaded nuns. Two very interesting, ordinary women who can talk about any part of the world in detail and suggest books on any subject under the sun ... and neither of them ever so much as visited anywhere outside of the island of Ireland.
Great story Fran, it put a smile on my face. :D
I really enjoyed that story as well. I am imagining a life time of book reading, awesome.
There are years that ask questions and years that answer. Zora Neale Hurston.
theSarayiahpost

Post by theSarayiahpost »

If you are not causing harm to anyone else what business is it of anyone's?
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

My mother was an avid reader until she died at the age of 92. She read everything, from Shakespeare to Louis LaAmour to Steven King.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Megan Young
Favorite Author: VC Andrews
Favorite Book: My Sweet Audrina
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-young.html

Post by Megan Young »

I dont feel its geeky at all! Ive never been referred to as geeky for reading either.
Zannie
Currently Reading: Defending Jacob
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: B000FI73MA

Post by Zannie »

Fran wrote:I was talking with two elderly ladies yesterday who have been swapping books & book recommendations for over 70 years! They started as children and even though both lived all their lives in the same small town they were never "great" friends just acquaintances (in the sense that everyone in a small town is an acquaintance) with a shared interest in reading & books. Outside of reading they have very little in common both having lived very different lives.

Both have been library members since their early childhoods when the library was their only source of books & both would credit the local library with making their lives bearable at various challenging times of their lives and with the fact that both have 'all their marbles' (as they put it) well into their mid 80's. We had a great laugh as they regaled me with stories of the lengths they went to to get their hands on books banned in Ireland in the 1940 & 50's, and to keep them hidden from parents and the dreaded nuns. Two very interesting, ordinary women who can talk about any part of the world in detail and suggest books on any subject under the sun ... and neither of them ever so much as visited anywhere outside of the island of Ireland.
That is beautiful and show's what a gift reading is. I wad considered a nerd at school however my love of books and the knowledge gleamed from them have held me in good stead many a time. Now that I'm getting older people from school marvel at my general knowledge and understanding of the English language. Both of which I would not have if I didn't read.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

When I started at my job some people seemed a bit put off about my reading habits...I'd hear hushed voices like " Did you meet her yet?" "Who?" "That old white lady with all the books"...But after people get to know you they admire that. Even if you're a bit scrambled sometimes, they know you have a brain in there because you do read.
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
melakkari
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: Biting Bad by Chloe Neill
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melakkari.html
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by melakkari »

Absolutely not! Lots of people of all ages and walks of life love to read. And the books that have been made into movvies are getting more and more people interested in reading. A lot of the kids that I teach swear that they don't like to read until I find them a subject they like. The Percy Jackson books are very popular as well as The Hunger Games trilogy. No one considers anyone else geeky for reading those titles.
DanBR

Post by DanBR »

I don't think it's geeky: if you've been in the military, you probably noticed that a lot of the men read (especially in subs). It's what you read that determines the "geekiness" of the habit, but that is true also for movies and music.
gsmergss
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gsmergss.html
Latest Review: "My Husband's Request" by Jessika Hensley

Post by gsmergss »

I think reading used to be "geeky" even though I have always read, but what I have noticed is that it has become the "cool" thing to do which is kind of annoying.
Latest Review: "My Husband's Request" by Jessika Hensley
Dphaber
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dphaber.html
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta

Post by Dphaber »

I think that on the one hand it is, but I've long since stopped associating with people who aren't "geeks" so I suppose for me it's a distinction that doesn't really mean much.
Latest Review: "The Icarus Prediction" by RD Gupta
Heather
Favorite Author: Diana Gabaldon
Favorite Book: Outlander series
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather.html
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
fav_author_id: 2373

Post by Heather »

Hmmm... I don't think I've ever really thought of it that way. I love to read. That's just the way it is. Some of my friends love to read. Some don't. It doesn't really matter. Everyone has their own interests, and that's okay. I can't say, though, that I've ever had the experience where someone acted as though reading were a geeky, or loner, thing to be doing.
Latest Review: "Differences" by Cristina Monro
The Bookaholic
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookaholic.html
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill

Post by The Bookaholic »

In high school yes, sadly, butnow people are seeing readers as smart, not nerds.
Latest Review: "Caught Between Two Curses" by Margo L. Dill
x1f4j8k9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-x1f4j8k9.html

Post by x1f4j8k9 »

Perhaps in grade school the avid reader may encounter some ridicule for being a geek, but I don't think it is. When I was in middle school, we had a program called "Read Around the Library", where we had to read a certain amount of books from each section. I think it's a great idea.
Raymy12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raymy12.html

Post by Raymy12 »

I think reading is still perceived as Geeky. It is unfortunate but it doesn't really bother me. I only share with people who have similiar interests.
Ashley Hiddles
Favorite Author: Far too many
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Currently Reading: The Heart-Shaped Box
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-hiddles.html

Post by Ashley Hiddles »

I think it will always be geeky, at least to some extent. Books like 'Twilight' have briefly made reading 'cool', but even then not everyone was into it. At school, I was always singled out for liking to read. In the workplace, people are more open. I often talk book with a couple people in other departments, but not a lot of people. I think that, even though it's more accepted now, it will always had a bit of a 'geek' warning.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”