Books so good you just couldn't put down

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Books so good you just couldn't put down

Post by Artizi »

I'd love to know if this is something that happens often to other people in this forum?
I'm sometimes so captivated by a book I just can't seem to put it down!

The last time this happened to me was during Christmas. I traveled to my mother's hometown to spend the holidays with family and bought a copy of "The Shining" to read during the break. Problem was, I couldn't stop reading it, and had to be reminded to come help with Christmas dinner!

I'd love to hear about your experiences! :D :D
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

The most recent 1984, can you say absolutely gut wrenching, I can't believe this, you have to find a way, and I can say no more about it.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
BrittaniDJ
Currently Reading: The Heart Has Its Reasons
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanidj.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by BrittaniDJ »

So many. Anna Karenina: romance, social conventions and pressures, elite Russian morality vs philosophical inquiries into religious ethics.
Night Circus: would make a fantastic movie of innocence, charm, intrigue, coming of age, romance and the fantastical mystery of circus life.
All the Hunger Games.
The Mysterious Benedict Society: precocious children are invited to take a test of intellect and puzzle skills to help save the world from an evil inventor bent on destruction.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The last Harry Potter book was the last time that happened to me, I think. I was so deeply enthralled by it that I had to finish it as soon as I could.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
luz0928
Currently Reading: World Without End
Bookshelf Size: 443
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luz0928.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by luz0928 »

That happened to me with "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet, also with "Misery" by Stephen King and "Lazarillo de Tormes"

I know there are a lot more, but those are the first ones that come to mind
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

Dragonsend wrote: 20 May 2019, 17:40 The most recent 1984, can you say absolutely gut wrenching, I can't believe this, you have to find a way, and I can say no more about it.
It's an amazing book! I absolutely agree with you on this one!
beccabecky

Post by beccabecky »

luz0928 wrote: 01 Jun 2019, 17:33 That happened to me with "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet, also with "Misery" by Stephen King and "Lazarillo de Tormes"

I know there are a lot more, but those are the first ones that come to mind
Those are all great books! So hard to put own indeed, especially Misery in my opinion! So I agree!
beccabecky

Post by beccabecky »

Nisha Ward wrote: 20 May 2019, 18:55 The last Harry Potter book was the last time that happened to me, I think. I was so deeply enthralled by it that I had to finish it as soon as I could.
I remember being kid and that happening to me with the first Harry Potter book. I couldn't put it back no matter how late it got!
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

beccabecky wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 20:52
Dragonsend wrote: 20 May 2019, 17:40 The most recent 1984, can you say absolutely gut wrenching, I can't believe this, you have to find a way, and I can say no more about it.
It's an amazing book! I absolutely agree with you on this one!
This really brings to light what some countries were like to live in, Soviet Russia, Nazi Germany, and Sudam Hussien's ruler ship. I cannot imagine what it is like to have to do without basic human rights, well actually I can, and then be fed lies to cover more lies. It's like living with an abusive super ego, or person with "little man syndrome" who even when they have their normal face on it's just a lie. Arrgh!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
han87
Favorite Book: When I find it I will tell you.
Currently Reading: Dune
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-han87.html
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by han87 »

The Naturalist series by Andrew Mayne. Riveting murder mysteries about a computational biologist tracking down serial killers using obscure data points.
Grass by Sheri S.Tepper stayed up til the wee hours of the morning to finish.
Second The Night Circus. Loved that book, reading it was like a lucid dream experience.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. - Bruce Lee
Latest Review: "Angel Guides, love communication" by Jan Porter
Kister Bless
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kister-bless.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Kister Bless »

I have read so many books that were so interesting that it was hard for me to put them down. Books written by Beverly Farr, for instance, roses from a billionaire and many others. Also, everyone has a story by Savi Sharma. I can read it over and over without getting tired.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies . . . The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R.R. Martin.
melel_jo
Currently Reading: Rebecca
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melel-jo.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by melel_jo »

East of Eden, Rebecca, and A Storm of Swords (asoiaf #3).
“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.” ― A Game of Thrones
Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-but-not-kaitlyn.html
Latest Review: Letters to Sis by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Post by Kate_But_Not_Kaitlyn »

I could not put down A Handmaid's Tale. I finished it in two days because I was reading it every chance I got. Didn't matter if I was eating, playing with my sister... I had to know what was going to happen next.
Sleipnir_Drew
Favorite Book: Oathbringer
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Sleipnir_Drew »

The last book that I couldn't put down was, if not mistaken, Oathbringer from B Sanderson's Stormligh Archive. The first one I'm sure it was all three of His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman. I read the three of them in one week at age 12, and have been an inveterate fan ever since. It has happened to me with so many books I couldn't list them all. However, I think those are the most important ones. They are at least two of my favorite readings for sure.
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

There are times that it is impossible for me to put a book down. The Throne of Glass series is extremely captivating (but also extremely long) and I could not stop reading it. I was absolutely fascinated.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”