Books that spill the tears

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater
Bookshelf Size: 0

Books that spill the tears

Post by Syrcco44 »

Is this already a topic?

Well anyway - do you cry a lot when you come to an emotional/sad/horrible scene? What books have made you cry and when did you cry?

I never cry when I read - I'm kind of stone-faced. I almost cried when I read Isabel: Taking Wing but I didn't. The only book that ever made me cry was Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. That was the only one. Probably will always be the only one.
awelker

Post by awelker »

Time Traveler's Wife for me. That is the last book that i can remember bringing me to tears.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
KaeMartyndale

Post by KaeMartyndale »

I read A Walk To Remember on a plane. Worst idea ever.
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

I have a confession... I cry at the drop of a hat. Movies and books certainly make me cry. Music makes me cry. Poetry makes me cry. Toilet paper ads on TV with puppies in them make me cry.

But I have to say, there are different types of crying for me. There's shedding a few tears because something touches me. Then there is crying buckets because something moves me so deeply and just sinks my heart into a story so that the only way to release is through having a good bawl.

Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveller's Wife made me cry so hard I got a migraine and threw up.

The Colour Purple makes me cry (both book and movie) every time.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Hope

Post by Hope »

Jean Sasson's books are definitely tear-spilling. Touches the heart.
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
♥ ♥ ♥
Everything changes.
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

sleepydumpling wrote:I have a confession... I cry at the drop of a hat. Movies and books certainly make me cry. Music makes me cry. Poetry makes me cry. Toilet paper ads on TV with puppies in them make me cry.

But I have to say, there are different types of crying for me. There's shedding a few tears because something touches me. Then there is crying buckets because something moves me so deeply and just sinks my heart into a story so that the only way to release is through having a good bawl.

Audrey Niffenegger's The Time Traveller's Wife made me cry so hard I got a migraine and threw up.

Man! You had to bring up "The Color Purple"....the bond between sisters cannot be broken, when you look at it for the prospective of this book and movie or the unwaving love a daughter feels for her estranged father.
Even Mister made me cry at the end. But I cry at Disney movies...ummm all kinds of books..."real life" events going on in the world makes me bawl like a newborn babe. lol yeah I'm a BIG whiner at times :shock:
On a lighter note though..I love singing R&B...I like to sing Miss Celie's Blues by Shug Avery :wink: haha
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

Let me tell you sister...
You've been on my mind...
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Star wrote:
sleepydumpling wrote:I have a confession... I cry at the drop of a hat. Movies and books certainly make me cry. Music makes me cry. Poetry makes me cry. Toilet paper ads on TV with puppies in them make me cry.

Man! You had to bring up "The Color Purple"....the bond between sisters cannot be broken, when you look at it for the prospective of this book and movie or the unwaving love a daughter feels for her estranged father.
Even Mister made me cry at the end. But I cry at Disney movies...ummm all kinds of books..."real life" events going on in the world makes me bawl like a newborn babe. lol yeah I'm a BIG whiner at times :shock:
On a lighter note though..I love singing R&B...I like to sing Miss Celie's Blues by Shug Avery :wink: haha
ilmao! i'd like to see you singing! i love the colour purple, my mom has that movie, i grew up seeing how women are so emotional, my mom and her friends would sit around having these discussions and some of them would be crying lol it was a big eye opener! my mom was a teen when she had me. my pop left her when i was a baby. i can always understand a woman and the tears she cries. those tears mean something when there rolling down that face. if i cry i won't admit it! lol
KaeMartyndale

Post by KaeMartyndale »

sleepydumpling wrote:But I have to say, there are different types of crying for me. There's shedding a few tears because something touches me. Then there is crying buckets because something moves me so deeply and just sinks my heart into a story so that the only way to release is through having a good bawl.

That is so true. One movie that had me crying buckets was Meet Joe Black. I think I cried for the whole second half of the movie, and then when I was done the movie I still couldn't stop!
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater

Post by Syrcco44 »

It's good to cry. Good for the heart, the mind and the soul. Sometimes I wish I cried more. My sister is like this - only she weeps every time when she sees movies like Pride and Prejudice (the scene when Elizabeth is in the field and Darcy comes walking to her through the fog and the dawn...), A Walk to Remember, Just Like Heaven... she's kind of a mush. But I like that about her - she knows how to have a good cry. I once heard that tears are words that the heart can't say. Quite true, really.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Syrcco44 wrote: I once heard that tears are words that the heart can't say. Quite true, really.
very true i would think, very nice thought.
awelker

Post by awelker »

Hamlet wrote:
Syrcco44 wrote: I once heard that tears are words that the heart can't say. Quite true, really.
very true i would think, very nice thought.
i like that quote or rather expression. i think that it is true is so many ways. i mean look at when you cry, and most of the time when i do, there aren't words to express how i feel so tears are just the best thing. i haven't cried really hard in like a year and half. but i tear up a lot.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

I cry when I look at a big bass swimming in the water and he won't nibble my xcalibur xr50 rattle bait...dang, hate when that happens...ssshhh don't tell no one :wink:
CollegeReader

Post by CollegeReader »

The Pact by Jodi Picoult! Sooo sad, but so beautiful. I read that book every summer ...
"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled 'This could change your life'" ~ Helen Exley

"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures"
clarebear

Post by clarebear »

I have never cried at anything I have read, but I came damn close when I was reading Five Chimneys: A Woman Survivor's True Story of Auschwitz by Olga Lengyel. The most heartaching book ever.

Although, I am ashamed to admit it, I cried like a baby when Ross and Rachel broke up the 1st time in friends.
"There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won't cure, but I don't know many of them." Sylvia Plath

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”