How Many Books Do You Read At The Same Time?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Re: How Many Books Do You Read At The Same Time?

Post by ALynnPowers »

I just recently tried reading only one book, but I couldn't do it. I had to pick up another one to read at the same time, and even then I feel like I need another one to even it out properly. 8)
alyssaemerson
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssaemerson.html

Post by alyssaemerson »

I usually have 2. One to read at home and one ebook to read while I am out. Sometimes I will throw a third one in there to read in the morning if my first one is too much to handle right away when I wake up.
mathias
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mathias.html

Post by mathias »

I usually don't wait too long to begin a book I wanted to have once I have it, and I usually have more than one book interesting me. And since I'm a slow reader there are many intervals, so it doesn't in any way "distract" to read many. In the opposite I find I read more vigorously when there is not just one book and that they tend to complement each other. For university, of course, it is necessary to look into any number of books without necessarily "reading" them all completely. But I guess my practical upper limit of being able to read books from start to finish would be somewhere around four, not counting those on hold.
Duende Knocking
Favorite Author: Albert Camus
Currently Reading: Too lazy to update this every day
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duende-knocking.html
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
fav_author_id: 2688

Post by Duende Knocking »

Maximum 3, but only if they fall under different categories:

1) School assignment (if nonfiction)
2) Nonfiction for fun
3) Novel for fun

I generally don't read 2 novels at the same time. If I have one assigned for school, I won't read a novel until it's finished. I am a pretty fast reader so this has never been an issue before.
"Everything is a dangerous drug except reality, which is unendurable."
- Cyril Connolly
Latest Review: "A World Within Our World" by J. M. Parker
KatKillsZombies
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katkillszombies.html

Post by KatKillsZombies »

Sometimes 5 or 6, but I'm trying to stick to one right now.
celticrose11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticrose11.html

Post by celticrose11 »

I try to keep it at two, one fiction and one non fiction but sometimes it can get out of control and have five on the go!
perphila
Bookshelf Size: 37

Post by perphila »

I have four in house for each room: bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchen. Yes, I read in the kitchen. I have a book clip that props it open while I do dishes or for cooking. I also have one audiobook for when I am walking and one ebook for my tablet and laptop. So that total is 7 at one time. Each is different for different moods. One is usually a book club book. Another something I am reading to my daughter, currently Harry Potter. One is usually something my son has recommended so I read it to discuss with him later. One is an old school classic, another is something to review for possible purchase for my library. At least one nonfiction and the rest whatever has caught my interest at the moment. Oh, but one has to be pure fluff, maybe even a bit racy. A girl has got to relax.... :)
okbutfirstbooks
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okbutfirstbooks.html

Post by okbutfirstbooks »

I read one book at a time because I feel like if I read multiple books I get confused on which world I'm in. I like to enjoy the one world I'm in instead of jumping book to book.
sschro12
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by sschro12 »

Just one. I find it hard to focus if I read more than one at a time.
cjohns105
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjohns105.html
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Post by cjohns105 »

Between school, research, other projects, ebooks, requested, and casual reads? I think right now I have about 23 books that I could pick up and start right in where I left off. I wouldn't have it any other way though. I'm easily distracted. Also, if a book is getting to a very suspenseful or exciting part I usually can't handle it, and I have to find something else to calm me down for a few days or weeks until I can get myself to come back to it.
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali
duckwood1092
Currently Reading: Epic Excellence
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-duckwood1092.html

Post by duckwood1092 »

I normally read 5 unrelated books at a time. I may be reading several books at one time on the same subject for research purposes.
DiverseSpirit
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diversespirit.html

Post by DiverseSpirit »

When I was in middle school, I had trouble focusing on more than one book. Regardless if I read along with my peers or alone, I could not transition from one book to another. I made it a rule - for the benefit of my reading skills - to read only one book at a time. This has helped me tremendously throughout English courses in college. Honestly, if I did not enforce this rule upon myself, I would have probably made it a rule to never read again. Fierce, I know.
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

No more than 2. Any more than that, I start getting plotlines and characters confused.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
Booky_BettyC
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55482">Hex Hall</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booky-bettyc.html
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel

Post by Booky_BettyC »

Usually I like reading just one. However, lately I have been reading one on my kobo and I also have one going on my kindle. I leave my Kobo in my bedroom for a good read before bed and use my Kindle for during the day when I have the time.
Latest Review: "Undead Redhead" by Jen Frankel
Kdsfae84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdsfae84.html

Post by Kdsfae84 »

At most maybe 2. Typically I only read one at a time because I tend to read fast anyway.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”