Did you grow up reading?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
stylesreview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stylesreview.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Re: Did you grow up reading?

Post by stylesreview »

Mostly school work. But as I approached teenage-hood I started to gain interest in short stories and novellas. After that, it just grew on me, and I found myself wanting to read more and more with every book I found.
Oluwatosin Balogun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwatosin-balogun.html
Latest Review: Musings of an Autistic Mind by Darryl Jefferson

Post by Oluwatosin Balogun »

I grew up reading although, I am not from a family of readers. I picked up the habit because my elder sister always had these fancy English textbooks in her bag every time she came back from school (she said she borrowed them from the school library for her assignments.) I was in preschool and couldn't read without an adult's supervision at that point. The pictures in the textbooks always drew my attention so I would try to pick the books and read them. One day, she told me not to touch the books because I could never understand anything in there and that statement, stuck with me to date. I guess it was my revenge at proving to her that I could do it, but, I found myself sneaking books out of her bags to read on my own. It was a struggle but here I am!
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Yes! I grew up reading books. I checked out books from the public library every week. One of my favorite parts of school was getting the order form for books once a month! When the box arrived, I waited anxiously for the teacher to sort them out and deliver them to the children. Right after my homework was done, I'd start a new book. The best week of all was when the Book Fair came to school!
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

Yes. I had an uncle who read a lot and we were close
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

I envy and admire you guys that grew up reading. I had to will myself to read as an adult—you probably can’t imagine how difficult it is. I’ve not developed a full-blown passion, but I’m making exciting progress .
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acalauejo-o.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

I didn't grow up reading. I stared reading at the age of 10 but I only began to reading complete books at the age of 16.
ZhanLu
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhanlu.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by ZhanLu »

I can confidently say yes. My friends used to lament on the fact that I would study at school and run off to read a book whenever I am free. Obviously, for them I was reading already when I was studying, why would I go out of my way to read again? XD They wouldn't understand anyways. ;) That is studying, and this is reading! I am escaping to a different dimension but you can see me sitting beside you reading when I am actually not there! Shocking, right? Hahaha- XD
Betelhem Demsie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-betelhem-demsie.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Betelhem Demsie »

I'm not from a reading family but they encouraged me to read. So I grew up reading. There was some time I stopped by the influence of social media. But now I back!
Henry Patrovic
Favorite Book: A Touch of Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henry-patrovic.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Henry Patrovic »

I started when I was around 12 years old.
Jay Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-peter.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Jay Peter »

Yeah! I grew up seeing my older brother reading too much. My love for also developed from that time.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

My mom always encouraged us to read. I think I have had been truly reading since age 5. I always have a book in process somewhere.
Hannah Oakey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannah-oakey.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B09BFPTTV4

Post by Hannah Oakey »

I loved reading from a young age and it helped that my cousins loved reading too. We would often stay up late during sleepovers reading. They would lend me books that they loved and I would reciprocate. Our love of mutual types of books really helped to cement our bond growing up.
Wisely Time
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Wisely Time »

I loved to read stories since I was a kid. Then later I shifted to non-fiction books. And these days I am in love with poetry books.
Scott Fling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott-fling.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Post by Scott Fling »

Yes I grew, up reading because my family is all about reading and I rather enjoy it. It has helped me to broaden my vocabulary now I find it easier to express myself. It all began with bedtime stories
Haajra
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Haajra »

Yes, I grew up reading. It was actually my father who introduced me to reading, thinking that I would need good vocabularies for essay at school (grade4). I started by Enid Blyton's books. I was awestruck about magic, witches, the talking toys and so much more. I gradually moved to adventures and at the age of 14, I fell in love with Nora Roberts' books. The cliffhangers, the plot, the killings and the details were too good. I should say that some individuals among my relatives are avid readers and now I can proudly say that I am one among them.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”