What do you do if a book isn't interesting?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Sonie Daniel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonie-daniel.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Re: What do you do if a book isn't interesting?

Post by Sonie Daniel »

I keep on reading but it will take me a longer than usual time to finish it.
Ash Subra
Favorite Book: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ash-subra.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Ash Subra »

I try to finish the book. Sometimes I read another book. Than I come to the unfinish book. Somehow I try to finish reading. Still I can't read means I will leave the book.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I use to give it a really good try, sometimes authors want to give it a good introduction before things happen. Usually, I wait at least until half book to think about stopping. Only once I did it earlier.
McAlpine
Currently Reading: The IHOP Papers
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by McAlpine »

I can read only so many books in my lifetime. Therefore, I am very selective about which books to read. I use my experiences from selecting books to select the next one. However, I sometimes take risks. I might want to read a book that came from an eccentric author or a narrow genre. There are times when I want to read a bestselling thriller, too.

I always read at least 50 pages of a book before I make a judgment about the book's quality. When I do not like the book after 50 pages, I rationalize what to do with it. I try to learn from the mistake and increase my expertise to select books. Sometimes, I discover that I am being judgmental. If so, then I continue to read. Other times, I find that I really do not like the book.

I try to discover what happened. Was I ripped off by advertising, or was I fooled by the beginning of the story? Was there an even deeper flaw? Unfortunately, there have been books that I had to stop reading. I was not getting what I had expected from the stories.
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

The minute I find a book to be boring, I give it the entire next chapter to become good. If it doesn't, I stop reading it.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”