What do you do if a book isn't interesting?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Buttercup0325
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buttercup0325.html

Re: What do you do if a book isn't interesting?

Post by Buttercup0325 »

I always finish what I'm reading. Every single time. I'm a fast reader and so it's usually not difficult for me to just read until I get sucked in, and in most cases that does happen, it always gets interesting at some point, but every now and then I get a book that just doesn't work for me. I can count one hand, with fingers left over, how many books I've started and not finished, but there are also some where I have to put them aside for awhile and read something else, then get back to it later on with a fresh state of mind.
clmartz
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clmartz.html

Post by clmartz »

If I'm terribly bored (still) at the halfway mark, I do seriously consider just stopping there. I recently had that problem with a book that's been fairly popular, and I just couldn't get through it. I tried. After a few months of trying to actually get through this novel, I just decided it wasn't going to happen and picked up the movie--which it then took me two days to finish watching because I kept turning it off.

Usually, I don't have this problem though and will try to stick it out.
SusanR
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susanr.html

Post by SusanR »

If a book isn't interesting, I'll set it aside to try again later. Sometimes I find that the mood I am in, affects whether I like a book or not. I may not like it when I first try it but will love it when I give it a second try. If I still don't like it after a second try, I put it in my donation box. I have a list of favorite authors - if I dislike three books in a row by one of the authors on my list, they are removed from my list so that I don't make the mistake of buying their books again.
SidKayy_18

Post by SidKayy_18 »

I try to read at least the first 5 chapters then if I still can't get into it I stop reading it.
Ama Idim
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-idim.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Ama Idim »

When a book isn't interesting, I try to force myself to read it but when it gets to a point where I can't continue, I skip pages or I drop it to continue some other time.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Sgatev23
Currently Reading: The Interpretation of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sgatev23.html
Latest Review: "Searching For Paradise" by T.L.Hughes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sgatev23 »

Hi Tonya,

Normally, I can tell from the first few pages whether the book is worth reading. If it's a classic book and I am still put-off by it, I will simply close it and give it to someone else who I think will find it more enjoyable.

However, with newly-published authors and books, things are quite different.
First of all, as a part of the industry myself, I would rarely be so harsh as to discard a book after a few pages, because this could be ruinous to the author. I like to give them a chance and try and commit as much as I can.
Secondly, if you are a reviewer, you need to do your best and focus objectively rather than thinking how the book relates to you and your own experiences.
Latest Review: "Searching For Paradise" by T.L.Hughes
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Honestly, it's a struggle these days to read any book with my tight schedule. So, if I'm reading a book that is not interesting, I will not go on; no thank you. I'd rather just look for a more interesting book or return to my tight schedule. Unfortunately, it'll make it very difficult for me to ever pick up a book by that writer, unless it's a writer I already know to be good. Then, I'll just forgive.
Rebecca Henderson
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-henderson.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rebecca Henderson »

I usually try to give the writer/book the benefit of the doubt. I figure that they spent enough time on the manuscript that it warrants at least a look from me. At the same time, if I can't either (1) summarize what is happening so far or (2) come up with a reason to keep reading, then I'll put the book down. Very rarely do I go back to a book that I've attempted to read. Sometimes, every once in a while, I'll be looking for a new book to read and I'll think, maybe I should try this one again. Most often second attempts end up with the same result as the first.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

I'll get through as much as I can stomach, then I'll put it down. Usually, I will pick it up again months later when I'm desperate for something new to read. Sometimes the cycle continues.
Wangare
Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wangare »

When a book is not interested, I will read a little further to see if maybe it can be interested, if not I will leave it.
cherryalakei
Currently Reading: anita blake burnt offerings
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherryalakei.html
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin

Post by cherryalakei »

I am a little compulsive when it comes to knowing how things turn out, so even if I don't have an interest or I'm not really into what I'm reading- most of the time I still have to finish the book to find out what happens.
Latest Review: "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin
ebethina
Currently Reading: Homeport
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebethina.html
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly

Post by ebethina »

I have the tendency to still want to finish it to see how the ending is because I figure, I made it this far I can keep going.
Latest Review: "Temptation Trials Part II" by B. Truly
Henrytbab
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-henrytbab.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Henrytbab »

tonya10057 wrote: 17 Aug 2012, 15:45 What do you normaly do if a book is not very interesting to you?I try to read as much of the book as possible,then decide if I want to read it or not.
If I've read 50 of its pages and still find it uninteresting, I just abandon it.
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
-George Bernard Shaw
Ashley-Osuna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-osuna.html
Latest Review: The Pilgrim Bride by Pilar Cerón Durán

Post by Ashley-Osuna »

I don't like to leave books unfinished so even if I do not like them that much, I will still try to finish them just to see how it all unfolds. There are very few books that I have not finished because of how boring they seemed to me.
Yearly Joy Besoy
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yearly-joy-besoy.html
Latest Review: Beating Death (resubmission) by Sean O’Banion

Post by Yearly Joy Besoy »

If I find the book uninteresting, I read al little bit of the beginning the middle and go to the ending. If the ending is good or had a twist, I go back to read from the last page that I've read in the first part of the story.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”