What do you do if a book isn't interesting?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Booklover97
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklover97.html

Re: What do you do if a book isn't interesting?

Post by Booklover97 »

I read it a little more then if I am not interested, I just stop reading it. There are so many better books waiting to be read.
scorp0111
Favorite Author: Khaled Hosseini
Favorite Book: To Sir With Love by E R Braithwaite
Currently Reading: Kill List by Fredrick Forsyth
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scorp0111.html
fav_author_id: 2454

Post by scorp0111 »

Hmmm... as a book lover, I really try hard to finish the book even if I don't find it interesting. But unfortunately sometimes just need to dump the book especially if it is a very long one.
AmandaLMcCormick
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandalmccormick.html

Post by AmandaLMcCormick »

I try to always read at least the first 100 pages. Sometimes books take that long before they really get in depth. If I can't go on after that, I read about 20 more pages and then skim through to finish the story so that I can do a proper review.
latest

Post by latest »

It is very interesting a novel book. I read a book for more and more knowledge .
Eve-Olsen2005
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eve-olsen2005.html

Post by Eve-Olsen2005 »

I always try to give it a good go, and I will still skip ahead to see if it gets better or at least what happens to the characters. I guess at that point it feels like a Choose-Your-Own-Destiny books. Did any of you read those too?
Embracing_Madness
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-embracing-madness.html

Post by Embracing_Madness »

If I can tell that it's going to be uninteresting right off the bat (and I usually can), then I have no problems dropping it like a hot potato. It's the rare occasion when the middle or, god forbid, the ending goes flat that things get tricky - I generally try to plow through it anyway since I'm already half-way invested, but I'll be a little grumpy and vicious in my book reviews after.
bookstorm
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookstorm.html

Post by bookstorm »

In short i decide if what i have read could have any decent outcome then choose to read more or not
Mickaila
Favorite Author: Edgar Allan Poe
Favorite Book: The Iliad
Currently Reading: Most Evil by Michael Stone
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mickaila.html
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
fav_author_id: 4642

Post by Mickaila »

I give it a 30 page test, if I don't like it, I generally avoid the author (sometimes I give second chances, but I mostly don't), or give the book away to someone who might.
Latest Review: "Liar Lindly Brandt" by Aften Brook Szymanski
booklovingolfer
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklovingolfer.html

Post by booklovingolfer »

I will always try my best to finish a book even if it is not any good. There have been a few books that I couldn't tough out, but all I did was stop reading the book. I typically will not read any other books by the author.
Pandanian101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pandanian101.html

Post by Pandanian101 »

If it's a borrowed book, I return it. If it's an owned book, I put it in box. Eventually, when I get over five books I don't like, I take them over to a local library and donate them.
milliethom
Favorite Author: Dorothy Dunnett
Favorite Book: Game of Kings - and numerous others.
Bookshelf Size: 15
fav_author_id: 27343

Post by milliethom »

I usually choose what I want to read carefully, taking the author, genre and blurb into account in particular. But there have been a few times when I've soon realised I've made a bad choice! I persevere for as long as possible but, inevitably, I abandon it. I really hate doing that - it seems so defeatist - and fortunately it's happened very rarely.
CorkyReedWatt
Favorite Author: John Irving
Favorite Book: A Prayer for Owen Meany
Currently Reading: The Hunger Games
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corkyreedwatt.html
fav_author_id: 2417
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Midlife Fairy Tales and Murder

Post by CorkyReedWatt »

If I picked the book, I try to get far enough into it that I get interested; however, if after an hour of reading, I am not satisfied, I quit. Life is too full of books to get tied into one you don't like.
luvnatalia555
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-luvnatalia555.html

Post by luvnatalia555 »

Normally, I would fight the urge to put it down and just finish it. I know this may be tiresome and annoying when you have books that you are excited for on your shelf, but I have a "always-finish-books" rule with myself. I've only broken that rule once, with "I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have To Kill You" because that one was just SO bad. Other than that, I feel more accomplished and proud once I finish a book that was boring.
PluviophileReader
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluviophilereader.html
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan

Post by PluviophileReader »

If I've started a book, even if I'm not enjoying it, I attempt to get through it. I have to finish it for whatever reason. I just can't not finish a book!
The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Demiurge" by Michael Hagan
ElectricSheep

Post by ElectricSheep »

I try to get through it but if I can't get I put it on the shelf to try and give it a read in the future.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”