What do you do if a book isn't interesting?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
serenity01
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What do you do if a book isn't interesting?

Post by serenity01 »

booklvr62 wrote:I stop reading it and move on to another, "too many books,too little time' to waste my time with a book that I am not enjoying.
This is how I feel. :)
Ilovecatsandbooks
Currently Reading:

Post by Ilovecatsandbooks »

Return or give to the library.
starla1781
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starla1781.html
Latest Review: "Full Circle" by Michael hawk Spisak

Post by starla1781 »

I get really silly about insisting on finishing the book, like I'm going to hurt the book's feelings if I don't! Ridiculous, I know, but more often than not, I usually end up being pleasantly surprised.
Latest Review: "Full Circle" by Michael hawk Spisak
Barbara Brown
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-brown.html

Post by Barbara Brown »

If it isn't interesting enough then i don't finish it, unless i am reviewing it then for the sake of being fair and empathetic to the author i will finish reading it only because i promised i would. However i would never ever give a bad review where it insults the author, i would give my honest opinion in a nice manner, without being overly critical.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Well, I've learned that in Romania the ritual would include hurling the book across the room while shouting, "I break with thee, I break with thee, I break with thee !!!" .... and then throwing dog poop at it.

It works too. I usually feel much better after I do that.

Although, I suppose a simpler thing for most people to do would be to just stop reading the book.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

LMAO!

Well, while DATo's Romanian approach is certainly entertaining...mine is to toss the book back into a bookbag while muttering something along the lines of "...life is too short for lame books..." and moving on to another book.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html
Latest Review: "Bodies and Beaches" by Don Yarber

Post by asmaahsan »

DATo wrote:Well, I've learned that in Romania the ritual would include hurling the book across the room while shouting, "I break with thee, I break with thee, I break with thee !!!" .... and then throwing dog poop at it.

It works too. I usually feel much better after I do that.

Although, I suppose a simpler thing for most people to do would be to just stop reading the book.
Hmmm...so in addition to the boring book, you need to have a dog, to do the honors, choose the place where the offense will take place, and then clean up the mess later. Sounds like a lot of work to me. :(

I always finish a book no matter how boring it is. I just skip through some lines to finish it quickly. I also try to read it's summary online as most books are reviewed on the Internet some place or another, so I just have to find the right web address to get the info so I don't have to read the whole thing. I don't think I will review a book that didn't fit in well with me or I felt I was not able to do justice to it. Just doesn't sound honest so I excuse myself.
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
rishabhsachan

Post by rishabhsachan »

I just stop reading that book and go for a place were my all frnds met and than after we discuss and get a new interesting book
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

rishabhsachan wrote:I just stop reading that book and go for a place were my all friends met and than after we discuss and get a new interesting book
I agree.
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Maud Fitch wrote:
rishabhsachan wrote:I just stop reading that book and go for a place were my all friends met and than after we discuss and get a new interesting book
I agree.
I would love to be able to do that but unfortunately I'm in the "I've started so I'll finish" camp .... but I will lash through it at high speed & then consign it to the Oxfam box & never mention it again. The upside is that it makes me more careful and discerning about what books I select and I am ultra careful about random recommendations. :)
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
asmaahsan
Favorite Book: A Flicker in the Dark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asmaahsan.html

Post by asmaahsan »

Fran wrote:
Maud Fitch wrote:
I agree.
I would love to be able to do that but unfortunately I'm in the "I've started so I'll finish" camp .... but I will lash through it at high speed & then consign it to the Oxfam box & never mention it again. The upside is that it makes me more careful and discerning about what books I select and I am ultra careful about random recommendations. :)
Me too. I also finish what I start, never listen to recommendations, but I don't lash through stuff. I just calmly read through, at slow speed, just incase something good does come out of it, giving it benefit of doubt, and once done, I just give it to someone, or give it to charity or something as I don't keep a book in my home that I have no respect for.
:techie-reference: I am not a life coach; life coaches me ~ Asma Fikri.
Gannon
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

I am also one of those people who cannot give up on a book. Even if I am not enjoying it I will struggle through, because it may get better or you may learn something new. If a book is really bad, I may put it down and read something else, but I will always go back and finish it eventually.
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa
epr0se

Post by epr0se »

Cast aside and onto the next. Life is alarmingly short.
MelMariah
Currently Reading: A Head Full of Ghosts
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MelMariah »

What about if it's a book in a series!?
Back in the day when I was reading 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' I was absolutely loving it until one book.. I can't remember the title but it had a lion on the cover. I just couldn't get into it so I was thinking to myself "Oh my god I can't read this, what do I do? Give up on the series, skip the book and guess what happens in the next?! Or just push through..."
I ended up reading half and skipping it hahah
abcpune_2012

Post by abcpune_2012 »

Depends on mood. But i would like to give up and start another one.

Jyoti
ABCPune

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”