Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Cheryl Erickson
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

Of course you can date a nonreader! There are so many other things in the world to do and to discuss! I dated a nonreader for four and a half years. We've been married for twenty-nine years now! In the beginning, I did try to get him to read more. He has read a book series, a handful of novels, and some autobiographies. He gets tired and falls asleep. However, he has other interests that he is more passionate about. He is a very busy person! Just because someone does not read does not mean that they are not smart or interesting. He has so many other gifts and talents! My husband is a very intelligent chemistry, biology, and biotechnology teacher. He tutors struggling students. He is the president of a local school board. He coaches football and baseball. He is an avid sports fan. We love to have game nights with friends. He sings in the church choir, leads the praise band vocals, and plays the trombone. We love to listen to all types of music and sing aloud in the car together. We attend concerts, musicals, and plays. He works in the yard, helps clean the house, and we also like to cook together. He is a wonderfully well-rounded person. He can talk and talk and talk until the cows come home. You might be missing out on meeting some terrific people out there. Don't limit yourselves!
Vusumuzi Dube
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vusumuzi-dube.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Vusumuzi Dube »

Listen to your heart. Date whoever your heart connects with.
Vusumuzi Dube
Currently Reading:

Post by Vusumuzi Dube »

As I said previously, listen to your heart. Date whoever your heart connects with.
n3stl3y_
Favorite Book: Randy the Irresistible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n3stl3y.html
Latest Review: New Perspectives and Laws Of The Universe by Cody michael struckhoff

Post by n3stl3y_ »

It wouldn’t be a dealbreaker but it would be lovely to have someone I love romantically share the same passion that I have for books.
Vusumuzi Dube
Currently Reading:

Post by Vusumuzi Dube »

Cheryl Erickson wrote: 08 May 2022, 17:40 Of course you can date a nonreader! There are so many other things in the world to do and to discuss! I dated a nonreader for four and a half years. We've been married for twenty-nine years now! In the beginning, I did try to get him to read more. He has read a book series, a handful of novels, and some autobiographies. He gets tired and falls asleep. However, he has other interests that he is more passionate about. He is a very busy person! Just because someone does not read does not mean that they are not smart or interesting. He has so many other gifts and talents! My husband is a very intelligent chemistry, biology, and biotechnology teacher. He tutors struggling students. He is the president of a local school board. He coaches football and baseball. He is an avid sports fan. We love to have game nights with friends. He sings in the church choir, leads the praise band vocals, and plays the trombone. We love to listen to all types of music and sing aloud in the car together. We attend concerts, musicals, and plays. He works in the yard, helps clean the house, and we also like to cook together. He is a wonderfully well-rounded person. He can talk and talk and talk until the cows come home. You might be missing out on meeting some terrific people out there. Don't limit yourselves!
Wow @ Cheryl Erickson. Powerful message. Thank you for sharing these wise words. God bless you and your family.
Superlemon
Currently Reading: Taste: My Life in Food
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superlemon.html
Latest Review: When Brothers Kiss by Rand Marsh

Post by Superlemon »

This is such an interesting question for me because my immediate answer is aw, hell no. And yet I am married to someone who does not read. We have been together our entire adult lives, 25 years, and he has never read an entire book that wasn't required for school. And its okay. I am in 6 different book clubs, each with a different focus, and I read an absurd amount. Sometimes I share with him- I have read all of Harry Potter out loud to him, and recently read the James Lapine book about Sunday in the Park with George to him because he works in theater and I knew he would find it fascinating. He is still a cultured, interesting person and we have a great deal in common. I wish he read because it would be a powerful example for our children. I absolutely check out someone's book shelves when I first visit their house. I hope my kids grow up to be readers, mostly because I find such power and joy in reading.
Ola_Elise
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ola-elise.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ola_Elise »

Reading is an integral part of my life. It's more than a pastime. It's what I enjoy doing, so I devote my time to it. I can date him even if he doesn't read, but he has to be a great listener because I enjoy sharing what I've learned and found fascinating in a book with others.
Books are a unique form of accessible magic. Reading is required for those who wish to rise above the mundane. If you dislike reading, it's most likely because you haven't found the right book.
Frank Mutuma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frank-mutuma.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Frank Mutuma »

Yes I would. Dating a person depends on variety of issues. If person has other good qualities a would date them
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

Well, it would be great to date an avid reader—I am already smiling at the prospect. However, I can still be with someone who doesn't read. There should be many other things we can talk about. Even silly topics can be interesting once there is mutual interest.
Vusumuzi Dube
Currently Reading:

Post by Vusumuzi Dube »

Vusumuzi Dube wrote: 27 Apr 2022, 12:50 Absolutely not. Code Red!
I had to review this response. I have seen the so called non readers making it in love and vice versa. Loving each other unconditionally is the key.
Shillah Andeso
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-andeso.html
Latest Review: On the wings of a prayer by Kola Kupoluyi

Post by Shillah Andeso »

I am currently dating a person who loves academics. I don't know if I can classify him as a person who reads since he rarely reads novels. I love that we have a lot to share since he also loves movies and football. It is like creating a group with different interests.
Emidio Inocencio
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio-inocencio.html
Latest Review: Diamond J&G Manor Parlay Gambling House by Sylvie L Gionet
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 2%

Post by Emidio Inocencio »

It would be hard to connect with someone who doesn't read. There would be a shock of two completely different people with different interest and that would kill the relationship.
Vusumuzi Dube
Currently Reading:

Post by Vusumuzi Dube »

Superlemon wrote: 11 May 2022, 10:21 This is such an interesting question for me because my immediate answer is aw, hell no. And yet I am married to someone who does not read. We have been together our entire adult lives, 25 years, and he has never read an entire book that wasn't required for school. And its okay. I am in 6 different book clubs, each with a different focus, and I read an absurd amount. Sometimes I share with him- I have read all of Harry Potter out loud to him, and recently read the James Lapine book about Sunday in the Park with George to him because he works in theater and I knew he would find it fascinating. He is still a cultured, interesting person and we have a great deal in common. I wish he read because it would be a powerful example for our children. I absolutely check out someone's book shelves when I first visit their house. I hope my kids grow up to be readers, mostly because I find such power and joy in reading.
Thanks for sharing this. It's inspirational.
Sanduni Himasha
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanduni-himasha.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Sanduni Himasha »

I would - it's completely okay to have different interests. However, reading does give us something in common to talk about but as long as they respect that sometimes I will recede into a corner with a book and lets me have my space and lets me enjoy my books its completely okay.
Vusumuzi Dube
Currently Reading:

Post by Vusumuzi Dube »

My uncle was complaining the other day that his wife reads too much novels to an extent of her being unaware if someone is talking to her or giving her something when she is lost in the story. Lol...it was all love though. I just had to share this I found it hilarious. :lol:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”