Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

Of course I can. It doesn't matter because we all have interest in various things
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

Of course I can. It doesn't matter because we all have interest in various things
losTcHild50
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by losTcHild50 »

I did date and marry a non-reader. We were together 15 years. We had a spiritual connection. In the last year, it was like we were on 2 different frequencies/wavelengths. We just stopped getting each other. It was a very frustrating year. The not reading during all that time didn't bother me. Although I was a bit insulted that she wasn't able to read the book I wrote! Even though she seemed to enjoy it - (she'd discuss what she thought after each chapter). She didn't have the disciple to get through the whole book.

The only time my reading seemed to bother her was when we were on holiday at the beach. Sometimes she'd feel neglected, and didn't know how to entertain herself whilst I was reading
Maslina
Currently Reading: DentistryXposed
Bookshelf Size: 1035

Post by Maslina »

Though my husband's disinterest in books makes me sad at times...I feel he's missing out!...he has many other excellent qualities and interests. He appreciates and respects my passion (obsession!) as I respect his.
I often wish we could discuss books together but all of my siblings and my mom love similar books so we have wonderful discussions I crave.
Carlos Mata Saenz
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carlos-mata-saenz.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Carlos Mata Saenz »

I could. And I have done it indeed. My wife reads a lot as well but for example she doesn’t play games, and I don’t have an issue with it neither.
There are other things we have in common and that we can talk about, and things that each one of us likes to do when on our own.
Prosper Chukwuemeka 1
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by Prosper Chukwuemeka 1 »

No, because we can't think alike.
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

tricky one. my partner is dyslexic so he cannot read, however when I have a particularly good book, he does enjoy me reading it to him. I think it brings real closeness and intimacy to our relationship, so I can't imagine dating someone who has no interest whatsoever.
mrmadam
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mrmadam »

Yes I Could.
In fact, I dont want my spouse to read my books.
Ellie Greenberg
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ellie Greenberg »

My partner isn’t a reader but it’s still something that brings us together. When I finish a book I always want to talk about it and he loves to listen to me tell the story. He says my eyes light up and he feels immersed in the story and my passion for it in a way he just never gets while reading. So reading is my thing and listening is his. It makes us both happy
Autumn Barbur
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: When We Had Wings
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-autumn-barbur.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Autumn Barbur »

I have been married to a man who doesn't read for almost 12 years. Sometimes I find myself wishing that we could spend down time reading side by side and discussing what we're reading, but I tell him about the books I read anyway (and he listens). I have other friends and family who I can discuss books with, as well as other book-lovers on sites such as this and Goodreads. Reading may not be a passion that my husband and I share, but it is not detrimental to our relationship.
Kelly Tunstall
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelly-tunstall.html
Latest Review: Grand Slam Life by Milton Haber, M.D.

Post by Kelly Tunstall »

I would much prefer to date someone with an interest in reading as I enjoy discussing and debating different topics. Reading books is a completely different understanding from reading blogs and social media news. I think I would switch off too often if I wasn't able to discuss the books I am reading with someone who understands why they are so essential.
Vanjikkodi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Vanjikkodi »

I think although there could be other things in common such as a sport or cooking or watching a series together and we can talk about them, it is difficult to get each other well when one of us reads and the other never does. Even if not entire books, it would be nice if the other person can read some articles or quotes. It makes me sad when I have been so much moved by a book and I want to talk about it with my partner but they simply cannot bring themself to do a little reading.
However, my answer to your question is yes, it wouldn't stop me from being with them.
Hee Via
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hee-via.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Hee Via »

I would say it depends. I mean they don’t necessarily have to be a book lover as long as they’re re fine with me just going on about an exciting read. Although it would be really nice to be with someone who shares the same interest.
AlexGrav
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexgrav.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by AlexGrav »

I've always considered dating a guy who read to be a fantasy. I only meet a few who do read for pleasure, and they don't turn out to be the people that I have chemistry with. So to all of you who can't imagine any other way... I am jealous. :)
Catalaya1_
Favorite Book: How to be Stoic
Currently Reading: Emotional Intelligence
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catalaya1.html
Latest Review: Individual Influence by Brian Smith and Mary Smith

Post by Catalaya1_ »

I once dated someone who reads a lot and reads pretty widely too and to be honest, I don't think I can turn back. Non-readers do not provide the same depth of conversation and in my experience they have been less emotionally intelligent, logical and were not very good at communicating. My reader ex brought a lot of fresh perspectives and challenged the way I reasoned and I developed an appreciation for not only my opinions but for others' as well.

Being with a reader truly opened me up to other genres. I have been introduced to different ideas and thoughts and that has really been a game changer. And it doesn't hurt to have someone to discuss these new ideas and thoughts with and the icing on the cake is when they can relate or share their cautions about a thing.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”