Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Mailab
Currently Reading: Worldmaker of Yand - Eltanin
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Mailab »

Yes, that's not problem for me, I think he can learn a lot to me about, all my knowledge and understanding of all book I read.
Mailab(⁠✿⁠ ⁠♡⁠‿⁠♡⁠)
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Well I am married to an Austrian man and although his spoken English is good, he cant read it very well. He is a very busy man and just doesnt have time for reading. I sometimes do wish I could discuss books with him as they are such a huge part of my life and I would like him to share in it but unfortunately he just isn't interested.
Sweetyanzy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sweetyanzy »

That depends if that person is sincere and knowing he/she also fit in with your world or life that you would also be able to feel to that person that he/she is making you happy whenever your with him/her.
mark liu
Currently Reading: If Time Stood Still
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mark-liu.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by mark liu »

Whilst I probably could date them it would be a question of whether I want to date them. Reading brings so many people together so at the very least it would be a shame to not click in that way with a partner.
Daniel Lopez 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-lopez-10.html
Latest Review: Let it Be by Thomas Grady

Post by Daniel Lopez 10 »

No problem, I mean , this way I can talk about my reading experiences and she maybe will be interested, Besides maybe this person likes films and I can recomend some adaptations, I don't know, the point is that we should have more in common with a person we are starting a relationship than reading books.
maggie hong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by maggie hong »

well, as one who did - could I? yes.
would I again? ...no.
I found that in the first year or so of dating someone, we would be so busy dating, eating out, meeting and introducing our friends to each other, and doing a bunch of activities we had in common together (i.e., video games, hiking, etc.). Reading however, was not a hobby we had in common. Naturally, I would slide away from my favorite books and go hang out with my new partner. There was a point I tried to take him to a Barnes & Noble to sit down and reach a new book together, but he would start sighing and get fidgety after five minutes of flipping pages.
Keep in mind, I had asked him what his favorite books were when we first began dating, and he said "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and "Hatchet". During our bookstore date, I quickly realized reading was not his thing and he probably hadn't sat down and read a book in years.
I do think the lack of reading also displays itself in other various extensions of his personality - for example, his lack of patience, and he was very pushy and quick to make decisions without much forethought or afterthought. For me, I would stress every single detail before making a big move to a new city, but he was the opposite. I like to think those character differences also come from a lack of reading, a willingness to sit down and reflect, or critical thinking and wanting to conflict-resolve or discuss.
Ultimately, it did not end well for me. So yeah, probably won't do that again. LOL.
Nancy004
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Nancy004 »

I believe it's possible to be in a relationship with someone who doesn't read, as long as they show genuine interest when I talk about a book. They don't have to read the book or know the story, but being an attentive listener to my thoughts and opinions is important. Sharing my thoughts on the books I read is a vital part of who I am, and having a significant other who is interested in what I have to say is similar to someone playing football and their partner cheering them on at every game, even if they don't understand the sport.
Chrystal Paris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-paris.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Chrystal Paris »

I definitely could. I understand that we all cannot be the same. We all cannot love reading. There are definitely some things my partner does that does not interest me. So..
Ajiferuke Ajibola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajiferuke-ajibola.html
Latest Review: The Prison of Power by G Michael Smith

Post by Ajiferuke Ajibola »

Yes, I could, and I will - provided we both reach an agreement that my reading time will not be eaten into.
Nasaka J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nasaka-j.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Nasaka J »

For me I would. In a relationship as long as there is mutual love and respect and everyone is playing his own role it is fine with me. I wouldn't rule someone out just because she might not be interested in what I like.
Nkem Blessing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkem-blessing.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nkem Blessing »

Reading is optional for most. Although it's not that funny to read most times. To me i will date someone who doesn't read so long as he doesn't interfer in my reading times
danielle kirk

Post by danielle kirk »

My husband is not a reader. Actually, he is a reader he just reads slowly, because he gets easily distracted. He loves the idea of reading, but the act of reading…too slow for him. Though he does love a podcast. Which I hate. But we make it work. Because love is based on choice and commitment, not shared interests. I don’t expect for him to fulfil all my needs. I just expect for him to see me, understand me, and support me. Which he does. So reading, isn’t our thing. Love is.
Delight_01
Currently Reading: Empire of Storms
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Delight_01 »

I personally can date a person who doesn't read books, the problem is when the person doesn't read anything at all. Reading a few articles here and there or some documentaries about different topics is good but a person who doesn't read at all makes me feel like intelligent conversations can never be a thing.
Chanellock

Post by Chanellock »

I have never dated a reader. In fact, I married a non-reader. We balance each other out and he always makes sure to keep the kids occupied to let me read at least 30 minutes per day. Does not bother me in the least that my hobby is not the same as his, if we were both trying to read, it wouldn't be the same type of book, and the kids wouldn't allow it either lol
Tanvi Pise

Post by Tanvi Pise »

I could date someone who doesn't read but he'll have to know that I do and respects it. Even if he is not interested in reading he should be okay with listening to me ramble about the book I just read. It just shows that he respects my hobbies and choices.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”