Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3049
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Kibet Hillary »

People have different hobbies and reading is not something is always shared by all. As someone who deeply appreciates the diversity in humanity, I can date someone who does not 'read', though I find it hard that someone does not read. It could be that they do not read as much as another one does, but everyone eventually reads something.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kaitlin Bryant
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-bryant.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Kaitlin Bryant »

My husband and I started our first conversation about books. We even buddy read books together. I think I would be sad if my partner in life didn't share a love of books!
Gina Szum
Favorite Book: What Lies Between Us
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by Gina Szum »

I didn’t think I’d be able to be with someone who doesn’t read but I’m married to none reader lol. He understands my passion for reading and I read at night while he’s working. He’s a partner for an accounting firm.
Tomy Chandrafrost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

Nope, I think that would be a nightmare for me. Maybe initially I can, but then I would experience intellectual loneliness in the long run. Publicly stating that I am a book reader and introvert has become my rule of thumb for filtering potential partners.
Dana Lawrence Lohn
Favorite Book: The Upstairs Delicatessen
Currently Reading: Shades of Rust and Ruin
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dana-lawrence-lohn.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
2024 Reading Goal: 125
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Dana Lawrence Lohn »

SUCH a great question. I never thought I could! I mean, i was nose-first in books from the time I was three, maybe four … I imperially looked down on those who didn’t read … then I found a man who fixed. For every hour I spend immersed in books, he’s building us something, enhancing something. That is sexy as * and now I am squarely in the camp of, I am perfectly fine if he’s not a reader, so long as he’s contributing functionally!
Loretta Morris 1
Currently Reading: First Survivor
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loretta-morris-1.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Loretta Morris 1 »

I love to read. I could not date anyone who does not choose to read. To read you gain knowledge about others and the world. We would have nothing in common. I would rather date a person that does not know how to read. They can learn to read, if they choose.
David Medinas
Currently Reading: Gone Girl
Bookshelf Size: 19
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 8%

Post by David Medinas »

Absolutely! Reading is just another way of consuming media. Some people don't enjoy it, and that's ok! That doesn't diminish them as potential partners.
Darya Pogromska
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by Darya Pogromska »

Hi! In my opinion, if the person doesn't read books, that is fine. I get that reading might come off as uneventful and boring for some people, which is totally valid. However, if the person doesn't read at all, such as news, articles, etc. and they're not informed about general topics that are important in the present, I couldn't be with them. People who have the ability to live under a rock willingly are not people I see myself with in the long run.
Do you agree with me?

:tiphat:
Miracle Kingss
Currently Reading: Delightful Hands
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-kingss.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Miracle Kingss »

While I have not done so before, I believe I can. When it comes to relationships, reading should not be a deal breaker. My partner and I must not share all of the same interests. He may enjoy and engage in activities that I will not partake in.
Marygrace Lerin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marygrace-lerin.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Marygrace Lerin »

It depends I guess, if there are other interests between us that aligns. My love of reading and his love of video games might seem different, but it is similar in a way that it has storylines. In the off chance his hobbies are nothing similar to mine, but I still liked him for him, then I guess it'll work.
Termi Adeniyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-termi-adeniyi.html
Latest Review: Purpose by Gina Bianchini

Post by Termi Adeniyi »

No, I can't. It's going to be extremely boring!
Cari_no
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cari-no.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Cari_no »

I would, they however have to be okay with the fact that i enjoy reading and perhaps be goid listeners if they cant read. Thats coz I love explaining a book after ive read it.
Ronky Ehinmitan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Ronky Ehinmitan »

No. Because why aren't you reading? How are you going to understand why I like a book?
Ludovica Peruzzi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ludovica-peruzzi.html
Latest Review: 2084 by Kadon Landon Peterson

Post by Ludovica Peruzzi »

Depends. I've got a lot of interests apart from reading, so we'd still have something to talk about. But it all hinges on /why/ they don't read: do they just not have the time? Do they not like it? That's fine. But if they refuse to read because of anti-intellectualism or anything like that, and then prove they have no critical thinking, that's gonna be a no for me.
Joe Muriuki
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-muriuki.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joe Muriuki »

What a question! But it's a good one to think about. Well, interests vary and unless you require someone who'll be sharing books with, yes, I can date a non reader.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”