Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Alice Fu
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: What Every Teen Should Know About Money, Accumulating Wealth and Becoming a Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-fu.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Alice Fu »

I think it depends on how they feel about reading. If reading isn't their top priority, I can completely understand that. However, reading is an extremely big part of my life and its one of the things I care about the most. I am a fan of so many different stories around, and I have to be able to actively discuss things, or have them read something when I ask them to.
Emmah Achieng 1
Currently Reading: Low Flying
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmah-achieng-1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Emmah Achieng 1 »

Yes, I could because everyone has their interests in life.
Joy116
Currently Reading: Harbinger in the Night
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy116.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by Joy116 »

I could date someone who doesn't read but it's just that it puts a limit on the scope of conversation we could have.
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

I don't think I can date someone who doesn't enjoy reading. It is an important aspect of my life. I will long to have a partner with whom I can share, discuss, and exchange books. Books are a huge part of me! I will need someone who respects books for sure!
Superglace
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-superglace.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Superglace »

Yes. As long as they don't stop me from reading and doing other things that I want to do.
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

Has anyone that does not read might not be a critical thinker. Reading expands a person's mind. Personally I can't date someone that doesn't find reading a hobby. I love people that think critically. And a person that reads is more likely to think critically
Viking_Mama25
Currently Reading: The Winemaker's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 137

Post by Viking_Mama25 »

I couldn't date anyone who didn't read personally. Reading to me, is something that opens the mind. I wouldn't care what genre of books said person would enjoy reading, but reading is a "must". If someone didn't read, even on a small scale, what in the world could they possibly be doing with their time? How could they discuss any sort of topic? Reading gains knowledge and knowledge is the plague of the human condition.
Maria Tsarouche
Currently Reading: Doyle's Law
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-tsarouche.html
Latest Review: The Stolen Heir by Tayma Tameem

Post by Maria Tsarouche »

I think I would, if that person didn't refuse to listen to me talk about a book I read and liked. I mean that I sometimes tend to ramble for a while if I'm really passionate about something. So a person who absolutely hates books is a no-no for me. If that person just doesn't read a lot or not at all, but is willing to engage in conversation, I would certainly consider them.
Cindakins
Currently Reading: When Comes the Spring
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindakins.html
Latest Review: Unsilenced by Martins Agbonlahor

Post by Cindakins »

I have been with the same guy going on 13 years and he does not read. I feel that if you both have your own hobbies it works. He is a big computer nerd and gamer. I do it sometimes with him, but honestly most of the time I read while he games. It just works out. I think if you find the one it just works. And after all the lovey dovey first stage stuff goes away you don't want to be doing the same stuff 24/7.
DebiMabel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DebiMabel »

As for me, I wouldn't mind dating someone who doesn't read. Reading is just one of my hobbies it's not one of the criteria for having a romantic partner. My partner can have other things that bring him joy part from reading. So Yes I can date someone who doesn't read
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

I think it depends on what other interests the person has. If they don't read, but they have other passions that are engaging, that is fine with me. However, I must say that when I read online dating profiles, I'm immediately curious to see what books that person is reading. If they are reading something that I read or am interested in, they seem to somehow become more attractive. Ha!
Meenahhhh
Currently Reading: How to Live a Life of Hope
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meenahhhh.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Meenahhhh »

Could I date a person who doesn't read at all? Well it would be difficult. Reading is one of the ways we learn and I believe it unconscious refines the mind of the reader. So no, I don't think a person who doesn't enjoy reading would make a great match for me.
Cece Maina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cece-maina.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Cece Maina »

I could date someone who does not read books because that's not what makes them. In short, you won't be interested in everything your significant other does and vice versa.
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

I definitely would. It's not a prerequisite for me. They would also have things they're interested in, and so it all comes down to mutual respect.
Lindzy Herbrand
Favorite Author: Ken Follett
Currently Reading: A Wrinkle in Time
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindzy-herbrand.html
Latest Review: the REMF, Hurry Up and Wait by Ray Dyer
fav_author_id: 3559

Post by Lindzy Herbrand »

Reading is a hobby and a way to learn, but it is not the only way. My husband reads a occasionally, but not as much as I do. If I recommend a book to him I’m usually 10 books ahead of him hahaha.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”