Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
mohamed benziane
Favorite Author: John Green
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mohamed-benziane.html
Latest Review: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life by Lewis Kempfer
fav_author_id: 2072

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by mohamed benziane »

definitely, because reading is a personal trait in someone, not everybody likes reading, and not just because I like to read, then must my significant other like to read as well, I respect our differences because that's what makes us unique.
Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon
Currently Reading: Purges of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ailakhu-yusau-aizhebiomon.html
Latest Review: Advanced Lotto Rotation System by Joseph Z Vlasic

Post by Ailakhu Yusau Aizhebiomon »

In as much as I'd love to date someone that reads, that doesn't mean I won't date someone that doesn't read. Just that we may have to discuss other issues aside from books.
Neelakshi jain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neelakshi-jain.html
Latest Review: Learn to Love: Guide to Healing Your Disappointing Love Life by Thomas Jordan, Ph.D.

Post by Neelakshi jain »

I am married to someone who doesn't read and it doesn't matter as long as they do not disturb you in reading.
Adrian Rondon Salazar
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-rondon-salazar.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Adrian Rondon Salazar »

And why not? it doesn't matter that he or she doesn't read. The important thing is to get along. Most of my acquaintances don't read frequently and I love them all; with your partner you can talk about the weather and enjoy it.
Adego 002
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adego-002.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Adego 002 »

Dating someone who loves to read would be a big advantage but am ok with dating one who doesn't read since he might be interested in something else and I have to love him for who he is. Trying to change his personality would not prove too good.
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

Picture this: You are sitting on the couch reading books, the object of your affections is sitting on the couch reading books. You curl up together and read books. How boring! I love words, I am an avid reader and I write from time to time...but I need someone to pull me away from my novels otherwise I'll never leave those oh-so-addictive textual worlds. It doesn't bother me if he prefers something else to reading. I just need to be able to talk to him.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

Yes, I would. Reading is one of my favorite things to do but not everyone likes it. Actually, my current partner doesn't read a lot, and we still have a lot of things to talk about.
Divya Tamilselvan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-divya-t.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer
Reading Device: B086KCQX95

Post by Divya Tamilselvan »

Yes... I could as long as they are interested in listening to me while I am talking about books.
asteel18
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asteel18.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by asteel18 »

I didn't think I could until I married my husband. He doesn't read but respects the fact that I do. We still send most of our time together, but sometimes doing different things.
ANSHIKA NAVIN
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anshika-navin.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by ANSHIKA NAVIN »

I can date a person if he is not interested in reading as long as he has no problem with me spending so much time in reading and understands my passion towards it.
Shubham Shah
Currently Reading: Bloody Redemption
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shubham-shah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Shubham Shah »

I can date those who don't read as long as he lets me read endlessly. And if possible, I can make him a reader and we will enjoy it together. :lol2:
Marina-S-M1
Currently Reading: The Song of Achilles
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-s-m1.html
Latest Review: Who Says, Women Can't Lead? by James Rondinone

Post by Marina-S-M1 »

I think it's important to have different interests from your partner so it isn't a deal breaker, but my current partner and I are planning library dates and trying to pick books for each other. We also have a list of books we plan to buddy read!! Those things are fun so I look forward to those and it would be nice to have in relationships
Joslyn Holmes
Currently Reading: Legacy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Joslyn Holmes »

Well speaking from experience, I could date someone that doesn't read. I wouldn't force anyone to read but I would try to suggest some of my favorite books to maybe get them into reading. I definitely think I would be annoying talking about books all the time because I do that to my friends and family now. They would just have to put up with it!
+ itzsnowboy22
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by + itzsnowboy22 »

Hmm dating a lover who read will be very interesting to deal with
Maggie MacLaren
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-maclaren.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Maggie MacLaren »

Speaking as someone who does not have a lot of dating experience since I've only ever dated my now husband, he is not much of a reader. We got together in jr high, and while I've always been a reading fiend, he used to care less about reading. Over the years we've both influenced each other's interests a bit so he tends to read a little bit more and I tend to read a little bit less. And although I enjoy listening to him talk about the books he reads (boring political books) if he decided tomorrow to never read another book I wouldn't mind, I'd still talk his ear off about my books :techie-reference: I feel it's important to have different interests than your partner, while still showing interest in their interests. 🙂

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”