Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Lauren_Lewis
Currently Reading: Beren and Lúthien
Bookshelf Size: 700
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-lewis.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Lauren_Lewis »

I definitely could: there are ways to persuade someone to read, like encouraging them to find the right book about a topic they love, or to read comics or listen to audiobooks. We could even just tell our own stories, there's loads of methods to try. And even after all of that and they still weren't interested - then it's fortunate I have a lot of other hobbies and interests! :wink2:
Jay Peter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-peter.html
Latest Review: Champagne Widows by Rebecca Rosenberg

Post by Jay Peter »

Nessa Marie wrote: 09 Jan 2007, 18:10 Hmmm Thats a good question. I think I could. I have,granted the conversation is limited ,there are still things to talk about. I won't count someone out because it's just not their thing.
I agree with you
Sonymack
Currently Reading: Praesidium
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Sonymack »

Yes, i could. Everyone reserves the right to choose how they want to live.
Charlotte Marie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-marie.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Charlotte Marie »

Yes, as long as they understand my love for reading and are willing to accept that part of me, I'd have no problem dating them.
Michaela York
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Michaela York »

I could date someone that doesn't read, as long as they're not ignorant and feel like they don't need to read to gain knowledge. They might prefer watching educational videos to retain new things to learn or entertainment. Some people just can't focus on the words and retain them. That is okay.
Courtney-leigh Burgin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-leigh-burgin.html
Latest Review: Jurisdiction Denied by Jack Gold and Marc Debbaudt

Post by Courtney-leigh Burgin »

This is a difficult question that can be answered. There are many people who believe they couldn't because their potential partner may not understand their love for books. On the other hand, you have people who believe that they could because they could learn their partner new things from the books they have read and also separate their free time so that they have time to read (Iprefer to read at night) and also have time to reflect with their partner and do couple things so that they do not feel left out. In my opinion I fall into the second catergory. I think that I could date someone who doesn't read however they must be aware that I read to get away from my daily problems. It is more into my comfort zone and I enjoy being transported into a plot that is fun, fast-paced and engaging. I also like to have someone to discuss what I have read per chapter therefore I believe that I could engage with someone who doesn't read as I would find time to blend both priorities into my life and share my time equally with things that I enjoy the most. Therefore in relation to the original question; I do believe that I could emotionally connect and date someone who does not read.
Fawmi FJumana
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fawmi-fjumana.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Fawmi FJumana »

As long as they have an imagination and can think, I think I'm okay with it. But they would have to bare with me talking at length about books as I tend to do that when I finished a particularly interesting book.
Antonio Mulima
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Antonio Mulima »

As a library, I find myself free to choice who may in to explore, as long if them like to read, they can access me.
Michael Adam Glidden Forteski
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Parable of the Sower
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-adam-glidden-forteski.html
Latest Review: Mindful Screen Time by John and Kimberley Woods

Post by Michael Adam Glidden Forteski »

My wife is as voracious a reader as I am. That said, I'm an easygoing person and could be with a nonreaders.
Nina Vanderbilt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nina-vanderbilt.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nina Vanderbilt »

I could date someone that doesn't read because I think that is not the most important thing that we have to have in common. If he respects me and the things that I love, I will respect his hobbies. And those don't have to include reading or anything that I do in my free time.
Iwa_41
Favorite Author: William Shakespeare
Favorite Book: Soba za razbijanje
Currently Reading: The Illuminati Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 26
fav_author_id: 2482

Post by Iwa_41 »

If there is deep understanding from their side about my passion for reading I could because in my opinion, great relationship is when you have mutal respect, trust and understanding for each others goals and hobbies.
Samina Moiyadi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Unlight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samina-moiyadi.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Samina Moiyadi »

I got married to someone who wouldn't read but he had an appetite for stories. He is actually a movie maniac. Now, he is a reader and I too have become his go-to person for movies.
Violalover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-violalover.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Violalover »

I married someone who'd fall asleep trying to read. Whenever we read the bible together, I'm the one reading out loud. I don't mind. I enjoy reading to him.
Abimbola Oladokun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abimbola-oladokun.html
Latest Review: Diabolus In Musica by Richard Rees

Post by Abimbola Oladokun »

I can date someone who doesn't have an interest in reading because I read enough for the both of us😂
But seriously, I don't mind being in a relationship with someone like that, as long as they understand my passion for reading and respect it.
Jay_shon03
Favorite Book: Butterfly Awakens
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-shon03.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jay_shon03 »

The two most important attributes I watch out for in a potential partner are kindness and smartness. Fortunately for me, all the ladies I have dated have these qualities and the good thing is all of them are bibliophiles.

My experience in the dating pool won't let me date someone that doesn't read because most times I tend to wonder how my discussion with such person will be like.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”