Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Beata hoff
Favorite Book: Acheron (Dark Hunter series #20)
Currently Reading: adrift
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beata-hoff.html
Latest Review: Don't Mind Me, I'm Just Having a Bad Life by Lewis Kempfer

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Beata hoff »

From the point of view of another woman who married a non-reader and who has been married for almost 11 years now (he’s a vlog and news fan but really we rub along quite well :P) the important thing should be that you have something in common with your SO that you can share and talk about. For us it is our mutual love of *bad* action movies and all kinds of music that keeps us together. Also, my husband has no problem with me telling him the entire plot of whatever I’ve read because he won’t be reading it himself!

The only time this did cause strife was during the GOT tv series - he got tired of me explaining what they got wrong and by series three I was no longer allowed to speak during episodes :D :D

I think it has more to do to with respect for the other person than anything else. It is also not fair, I think, to say that non-readers are close-minded just because of a proclivity for staying away from pages. Plenty of readers are pretty dense too.
Dida Stergiou
Favorite Book: The Dark Heroine: Dinner with a Vampire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by Dida Stergiou »

Well... I can't imagine how my life would be without books, but this is just me after all. The unsaid truth for us readers is that not everyone is keen on reading( at least my 3-years old boyfriend isn't :lol2:) and that's totally fine by me. :romance-heartsfade: :romance-inlove:
CaroloftheOldOnes
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroloftheoldones.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by CaroloftheOldOnes »

I'm pretty sure I could. As mentioned above, the conversation might be limited at first, but over time, maybe I could convert him to the wonders of literature...?

What about a person who might not date someone who doesn't do, say mountain-climbing or origami? ;)

Carol
BrandonEllrich
Favorite Book: Tell Me No Secret
Currently Reading: Like A Mousetrap
Bookshelf Size: 4
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Like A Mousetrap

Post by BrandonEllrich »

I am a writer, so books are a big part of my life; however, to some extent, I believe the saying that opposites attract. I would certainly date someone who would choose not to read. There are so many other ways to connect, and a relationship should not be determined by one particular interest.
MOONTRAVELLER007
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moontraveller007.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by MOONTRAVELLER007 »

I would if he gives me time to read in peace. I don't mind a non-reader. It's a "let's see'' kind of thing.
Themysteriouskitten
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themysteriouskitten.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

Post by Themysteriouskitten »

I could bring myself to not care for a specific amount of time given that they donot do something about my unhealthy obsession with books but if they do all bets are off. Also I can't bring myself to imagine a person who is consiously making a choice of not enriching their experience or gaining knowledge.
All your scholarship, all your study of Shakespeare and Wordsworth would be vain if at the same time you do not build your character and attain mastery over your thoughts and your actions.
Mahatma Gandhi.
angelanikkicea
Favorite Author: Haruki Murakami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelanikkicea.html
Latest Review: Sex and the Sixty Something Guy by Mr. X
fav_author_id: 2566

Post by angelanikkicea »

Don't think I could. I love reading books and want to share my love for it with the one I end up with.
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

For me, there is so much more to life and intellect than books. I have met some really cool dudes who are not "bookies". So yes I would
kirismy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirismy.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by kirismy »

I think I could date someone who doesn't like reading, but they would have to have something else in common with me. This isn't much different from having friends who don't read much or even dislike reading, and I am friends with such people. However, I think the relationship would be more successful if he did enjoy reading. Enjoying books together sounds like a pleasant pastime and a good conversation starter.
gab_variable
Currently Reading: Shifting Sands
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gab-variable.html
Latest Review: Valoria by Tayma Tameem

Post by gab_variable »

Mmm. Honestly, it depends? There are a few other mediums to get educated now aside from reading, so if they aren't a fan of books but seek out learning through other ways, then sure! I doubt I'd hit it off with someone who had no love for stories, though...
Aaafrank
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaafrank.html
Latest Review: Facing the Darkness Within You by KH Robertson

Post by Aaafrank »

Understanding that not everyone will have the same interests is important to the relationship. Of course, there are some people who choose not to read because they would rather be doing something less strenuous to the mind, or they don't have that reader sense of imagining the story as something above words on paper. Most people who despise reading simply haven't encountered a genre they like, or they have PTSD from a strict, 50-pages-a-day English class. I think I could manage. There's more to a relationship than having common interests--though they be important.
Gothic_Book_Lover88
Favorite Book: Void
Currently Reading: Shattered
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Gothic_Book_Lover88 »

I've been with my partner for nearly 9 years and he never reads a book, magazine, newspaper etc.
Hasnt affected us so far lol xx
AngelicG
Currently Reading: Mindset
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angelicg.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by AngelicG »

Part of navigating a relationship is be able to respect any differences in opinions and tastes. While I can't imagine living without books, I hope I have developped the ability to appreciate that not everyone shares the same interests or views as me. It would be more important to me whether they had an interest in learning/curiosity about the world - I think I would struggle more if the person I dated had no interest in expanding their horizons (although it wouldn't have to be via reading per se).
JinBin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jinbin.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by JinBin »

Every time I learn that someone doesn't read or goes so far as to say they've never even picked up a book to read recreationally, I immediately find that person less attractive.
I know this will come off as highly judgmental, but I tend to think people who don't read use their brains less. Or at least are less creative or imaginative as those who read for fun.
And yes, I definitely count comics and graphic novels as books.
alisoncprater
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alisoncprater »

ooo an interesting question. It is hard to decide because I don't think I know anyone who just simply doesn't read. So, this is a difficult concept to wrap my heard around. I think I would say yes, but hope that they would be wiling to hear about all the books I read! :D

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”