Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
MysticSpade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mysticspade.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by MysticSpade »

I recently got back into reading and my other half of seven years hasn't read a book since high school. Ao to answer your question, yes I can be with someone who doesn't read. If anything, being with a partner who doesn't read helps you get some alone time which is very important for your mental health.
Emilia Sieminska
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilia-sieminska.html
Latest Review: Like a Lily Among the Thorns by Karen S. Bell

Post by Emilia Sieminska »

I believe I could date someone who doesn't read if they are intelligent and have other passions. That could actually keep the conversation going, if I talked about books and he about theatre or psychology or something else.
Katie Blackmore
Favorite Book: The Glass Castle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katie-blackmore.html
Latest Review: The Light of Canopus by Frasar

Post by Katie Blackmore »

Yes definitely. To be honest, this is the only place I discuss books that I read. Most of my family and friends don't read for pleasure at all and I haven't found a disconnection or slump in conversation because of it. If it is interesting people that talk about interesting topics then that is perfect for me :) .
Chilin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chilin.html
Latest Review: Everyone Needs a Companion by Jerry A Greenberg

Post by Chilin »

I think we'll read something, if not our social media timeline, then we're reading our account balance...#smiles. But really, everyone can't be like me. What I do not appreciate is if someone tries to change me into a non-reader. I will not even allow anyone do that.
Elon Gathungu
Favorite Book: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elon-gathungu.html
Latest Review: Red Wave Imperative by Alan Schein

Post by Elon Gathungu »

I would date a person who doesn't read but there would be a downside to the relationship. My work requires a lot of reading and I read for pleasure in my spare time. Basically, I always have a book in my hand or on my tablet. Therefore, if my partner doesn't read we would have very little to talk about.
Rachael S 1
Currently Reading: Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachael-s-1.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr

Post by Rachael S 1 »

I have. It is hard. Most people don't understand the joy that comes from opening a new book or finding a new series that captures your attention. At the same time, I have never found someone who reads as much as I do. As long as they understand space and boundaries (don't bother me while I am reading), we tend to get along just fine.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

I can date a person who is not into reading. The only condition is, she must have a certain standard. All in all, I am looking for quality in my date. It doesn't matter whether she brings quality in herself by reading, writing, playing, music, etc.
Naeema Patel 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naeema-patel-1.html
Latest Review: American River: Tributaries by Mallory M. O'Connor

Post by Naeema Patel 1 »

Nooo, how can you discuss your fav books with a non reader...
Emily Pyke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-pyke.html
Latest Review: The Shade of Highfall by Mark O'Dell

Post by Emily Pyke »

I keep a couple of girlfriends that read heavily like I do. SO much better than trying to talk to my husband about what I am reading.
Abi McCoy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abi-mccoy.html
Latest Review: The Scrolls of the Bonefairy Castle by David Spiegel

Post by Abi McCoy »

I'm married to someone who doesn't read! There are other ways to exercise the mind than reading - we've been together seven years and have never run out of things to talk about and are still learning about each other. I did have a hard time at first, because I would be so excited about a book I finished that I'd try to make him read, but he never would. But it's fine to have different hobbies!
Kyle Hylan-Corcoran
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyle-hylan-corcoran.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Kyle Hylan-Corcoran »

I don't think I could. I think books help people think critically about the world around them. I find that people who don't read are not able to satisfy my need for deep and philosophical conversation. Plus, I want my partner to value reading because I want my children to be active readers, too. Having a partner that reads will reinforce that behavior.
Choky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choky.html
Latest Review: My life uncensored by Cristina Caymares

Post by Choky »

I would not mind at all. But as long as there is some reading. Even reading newspaper is better than reading nothing at all.
Cristina Corui Mihailescu
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Christine M. Whitehead
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: Shadow Song
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-corui-mihailescu.html
Latest Review: What is Autism? by Damien Rist
fav_author_id: 8698

Post by Cristina Corui Mihailescu »

I had, for a short while. When you are young,it doesn't matter much, but later on you would drift apart...Real story!
Crescent Gold
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Crescent Gold »

Well, i can't because i've always envision us discussing about particular books we've read then recommend and visualise some event in the book if it should happen in life.
semira yasin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by semira yasin »

The worst part about dating someone who doesn't read is not just the fact that you do not have common topics to talk about, it is the fact that most non-readers exhibit a habit of not wanting to know more and are self-suffivient, fulfilled. From my experience, I was given some side eyes from our common friends when I pointed out that I couldn't date him mainly because he doesn't even know how to spell, write in English. He basically has not been to a proper highschool or university but yet he had the kindest heart. But I have seen how his limitations in the English language is making him resent me in a way. Anyways, coming to your point, it has more to do with how they think about learning new stuff, having open minds, imagination of a fictional world other than the physical one we are in. If they have those, trust me you have more things to talk about than you can realize.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”