Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
MnRen91
Currently Reading: Crescent City
Bookshelf Size: 30

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by MnRen91 »

I gravitated to this topic because I actually married someone who was not a "reader." I have always loved reading and I am a pretty fast reader so I get through books relatively quickly. I love discussing books with others and recommending books to people. It is like my way of getting to read an amazing book for the first time all over again through them.

My wife has never been a reader and I do not think it has effected our relationship at all. We have other things we can relate to about and enjoy doing together. One cool thing that has happened recently though is my wife started reading! I would always tell her about the books I was reading and one finally sparked her interest! She has read a lot of books over the past few months and it has been so cool to witness someone become a "reader."
Brooke coleman 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Brooke coleman 2 »

I don't think I could but we don't have to be into the same type of books. I love going to parks, coffee shops or just chilling at home with my books. If that is not sometime you also enjoy doing I'm not sure we will have much in common. Also I love to talk about the books I'm reading and what you to be interested in it as well.
GsMike645

Post by GsMike645 »

The answer is a definite NO!!
For me, someone that doesn't have a reading culture established into their daily routine is like a dry well that has almost nothing to offer to me. And I wouldn't want anything to do with such a person.
Queenelene
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Queenelene »

So long us they could listen to my narration then yes I would date one. It feels nice to narrate ua point of view to someone.
lpedersen1498
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lpedersen1498.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by lpedersen1498 »

My husband is definitely not a reader. I've tried to find books he'll enjoy, and in the occasion that he decides to humor me, he flies through a book. His response is always, "It was ok. It's a book."
He loves bragging to others about how much I read, buys me books, and even built me a free library for our yard. He also humors me by pretending to listen to me talk about books I'm reading and asks for summaries. I like talking to him about what I read because he'll never get mad at me for spoiling something!
I figure it's good for us to enjoy different things and then share in the other's enjoyment. It works just fine for us!
Limpho Mojakisane
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-limpho-mojakisane.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow

Post by Limpho Mojakisane »

Chi som wrote: 20 Nov 2022, 00:59 I can but they have to understand that I'm gonna spend most of my time reading.
I share the same sentiments. As long as they don't interfere with my reading habits.
Ashna_Tibrewal_7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal-7.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Ashna_Tibrewal_7 »

I am dating someone who doesn't read but it's okay. He listens to whatever I have to say and my fangirling on any book. I would love it if he were a reader too, but he is good in other ways. In the end, I think his listening and participating in my mindless chatter is perfect.
Vicky Moody

Post by Vicky Moody »

My husband is a non reader even though he will tell you he loves books and asks for them. When we got together, he mentioned an amazing (his words) series of books that he would love to read. I brought them for him, to this day they are still unread by him!
He gets that I love books and can loose my self in one for hours at a time. So yes I could date a non reader.
KATHYmn
Favorite Book: These Sacred Lands
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kathymn.html
Latest Review: These Sacred Lands by James Harold Kelly

Post by KATHYmn »

No, I could not. I would want someone who loved to read and explore new interests and hold an intelligent conversation.
Elmien Sinclair 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmien-sinclair-1.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Elmien Sinclair 1 »

Yes, definitely. As long as one's partner respects the time we spend with books.
Tracy Harris 1
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Terms of Service
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy-harris-1.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Tracy Harris 1 »

I have dated people that don't read books often and it hasn't worried me to much. It also gave me a chance to retell the stories without worrying about potential spoilers. In saying that I have had a partner that was an avid reader and it was far more enjoyable discussing the book, sharing our perspectives and getting recommendations.
Donna Walker
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vitality System
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donna-walker.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Donna Walker »

Haha!! This is a very quick "HELL NO!"

Reading is so important to me. It is literally an exercise for the mind. I love having deep conversations with my partner, and that would not be possible if he did not read extensively. I'm just imagining the limited conversation topics due to the lack of intellect. It's a hard pass for me. 
Shane Lucey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shane-lucey.html
Latest Review: The Freedom Building by Martin Kendall
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Shane Lucey »

This was not a dealbreaker for me, but fortunately my wife does enjoy reading. We don't always read the exact same books since there's no need for us to do the exact same thing all the time.
Cherrie Rosaldo
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Favorite Book: David's Sling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrie-rosaldo.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Cherrie Rosaldo »

I think I could if we have another mutual interest
KONEKO93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by KONEKO93 »

I did date someone who didn’t read books,
Let’s just say I learnt my lesson, readers have very desirable qualities which people Who don’t like reading lack.
Intelligence is sexy.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”