Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Nevada Shriver
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nevada-shriver.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Nevada Shriver »

I think a very particular hobby such as reading is kind of a harsh expectation to put on a future partner. You don’t like baseball? No? Goodbye! You don’t like to bake cookies? No? You’re out of here! I understand the desire to share interests with a partner, but there so many more important things to look for in a future spouse, like being on the same page about finances, moral standards, and how you’ll raise your kids (if you choose to have them).

I’m an avid reader, and I’d love it if my husband shared that interest. But we have other interests we share together and reading is something I do on my own time while he does something he likes. I’m lucky to have a husband who is a great listener and will listen to me babble on about the books I’m reading.
Kaitlin Bryant
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlin-bryant.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Kaitlin Bryant »

My very first conversation with my husband was about books! I think I would have a hard time if I hadn't been able to find a life partner who loves books too. We sometimes read the same books together, it is so nice!
Naushin Moledina
Favorite Book: The Canterville Ghost
Currently Reading: Boundaries
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naushin-moledina.html
Latest Review: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless by Mitzi Perdue
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 18%

Post by Naushin Moledina »

It's kind of okay with it. But it would be more fun to date someone who reads too. We both will have our different worlds and new stories to share every day. It's like having that book friend whom you can recommend your favorites and get their opinion after they finish. According to me it will be more romantic to date a book reader.
To hate is an easy lazy thing, but to love takes strength everyone has, but not all are willing to practice
Esther Deekor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther-deekor.html
Latest Review: Risky Business In Rising China by Mark Atkeson

Post by Esther Deekor »

This is a hard one for me, because I love reading and even if my partner doesn't love reading, I would prefer he reads once in a while and doesn't have to read as regularly as I do. So I don't think I would be able to date someone who doesn't read.
Lunar gate
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunar-gate.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by Lunar gate »

While reading is a wonderful hobby that can bring intellectual stimulation and personal growth, it's not necessarily a dealbreaker for everyone.It's important to consider that relationships thrive on mutual understanding and respect for each other's choices. If reading is something that holds a significant place in your life, it may be worth having an open and honest conversation with your partner. Understanding their perspective and finding common ground can help you navigate this potential difference in hobbies.
Maria Lepre
Favorite Author: Umberto Eco
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-lepre.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
fav_author_id: 3190

Post by Maria Lepre »

No, I would never do that to me. A reader has an open mind, is ready to imagine worlds without even leaving home. I prefer these kinds of people.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Fatola Fatai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatola-fatai.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Fatola Fatai »

Well I can. Though reading is great. Reader are always vast in information. Those who dont read are like those in hermit kingdoms
Honesting Waleng
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Honesting Waleng »

I could not do that actually I have to make someone love you I ven if she had no hobby with you can make her to think about you!
Adriana Ortencio 3
Currently Reading: Positive Dog
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Adriana Ortencio 3 »

I could definitely date someone who isn’t passionate about reading like I am as long as they understand that I really do like to read a lot and will read almost any opportunity that I get. I would like them to listen to me talk about the books I’ve read and my takeaways from each book, just as I’d listen to their interests and activities that aren’t the same as mine. As long as they let me read as I want and don’t judge me, I would be fine with that because I have other friends that I discuss books all the time with.
Chris Konstantine
Currently Reading: Apocalypse Reckoning 2.0
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-konstantine.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph

Post by Chris Konstantine »

Sigh...

I'm not big on absolutes in life, unless we're talking math of course.

For me the question isn't so much that the person I'm dating doesn't read books, but rather how she feels that I do. My better half for example isn't into reading at all, yet has the ability to spin a yarn that would put some published authors to shame. At the same time, she not only doesn't mind that I have a voracious appetite for books, she's proud of it.

I can only answer for myself then, but after so many years on this floating rock we call Earth, I've learned that too many people out there that one might consider uneducated or illiterate, are a wealth of wisdom and knowledge. They have experiences and backgrounds, more importantly they have character. Seldom is this character defined by their preference to read or not.
Cristiano Bellucci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristiano-bellucci.html
Latest Review: Pioneering Nonprofit AI Initiatives: A Guide to Generational Diversity, Ethics, and Collaboration by Ainsley K. Hines
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 440%

Post by Cristiano Bellucci »

Yes. The question can go further and think what type of person is. Reading is often a way to learn, to improve and be a better person. In this sense, I prefer people who read.
Book allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. Mark Zuckerberg.
Pranav Dewangan
Currently Reading: The Science of Storytelling
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pranav-dewangan.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Pranav Dewangan »

Earlier in my life I could have dated but as I grow older my affinity towards reading books is increasing. Hence, now I cannot imagine dating someone who does not read at all. But life has a way of surprising us in many ways.
Lizzie Mustard
Favorite Book: The Moonstone
Currently Reading: Lessons in Chemistry
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzie-mustard.html
Latest Review: Bitcoin Answered by Jon Law

Post by Lizzie Mustard »

Books are an essential part of who I am. I don't think I could date someone who doesn't read as they would not be on my wavelength.
Leslie McKinley King
Currently Reading: The Rose Code
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leslie-mckinley-king.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Leslie McKinley King »

If I were dating again, my goal would be to avoid some of the superficial checklists that I created, in my younger days, regarding who I would and would not date. I would throw things to the wind and let my heart be the guide, within some reason. With that said, I’m attracted to intelligence and life-long learners. Reading stimulates the brain and is part of life-long learning. However, if this person was throwing themselves passionately into learning by another means perhaps I could overlook the reading.
Grace_Crier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-crier.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg
2024 Reading Goal: 10
2024 Goal Completion: 90%

Post by Grace_Crier »

Of course. My preference regarding love doesn't include being a book lover. But, it may give a hint to their personality when someone doesn't like to read like someone all logical and I don't think we would be a march

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”