Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Somtochukwu O Ezeme
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somtochukwu-o-ezeme.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Somtochukwu O Ezeme »

In another answer, I can not date someone who does not read. reading in improving and improvement is progress. I don't see a reason why someone would not like to grow and improve.
Somtochukwu O Ezeme
Currently Reading:

I may not like to date someone who does not read, but I can't also date someone who reads too much. A relationship is about creating time or investing time with each other. It is amazing to love. for me, love is more than reading or not reading.
Somtochukwu O Ezeme
Currently Reading:

The relationship is not all about reading books. Reading books will not make me decline a great chance to love a beautiful soul.
Somtochukwu O Ezeme
Currently Reading:

I can date someone who does not read, I will teach the person how to read. it is very easy, when there is love, everything is possible.
Somtochukwu O Ezeme
Currently Reading:

No, we are not compatible. although my yardstick is heavy on intelligence if you can make an intelligent conversation with me. we can go along
G Duda
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-duda.html
Latest Review: From Burnout to Belonging by Kimberly Carozzi

Post by G Duda »

Could I? Maybe, if we shared other hobbies. Would I willingly get into such a relationship? Probably not, no. I'm both a reader & a writer, so I need a rubber ducky to bounce ideas off of, & the best rubber duckies not only squeak, but also talk :lol2: having someone that I can discuss books with, language & linguistics, storytelling, prose & poetry, is very important for me. I don't care if the books are digital, audio, or if I'm the one reading it to them, just being able to discuss something with someone else is what I find to be very important
Zanne Crystle
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Zanne Crystle »

For me, my partner doesn't need to read, but it would be nice if they did. However, they must respect my passion for reading and books.
Somtochukwu O Ezeme
Currently Reading:

I can date someone who does not read because of their schedule. Wait... can someone live their life without reading? Reading is in everyday transactions; you can't sign a document without reading the content or purchase goods without reading the label's description. Can someone live without reading? It is a great question, and I would appreciate any answer.
Somtochukwu O Ezeme
Currently Reading:

On the other hand, I cannot date someone that does not read. If you don't read, you will not interest me. Our level will not be equal; the discussion will hardly flow well. So I can't date such a person.
Beet
Currently Reading: ChatGPT: Mastering AI Conversations for Beginners
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Beet »

People have diverse interests and qualities that can make them compatible partners. While a shared love for reading can be a meaningful connection, it's not the only factor that determines a successful relationship. Other qualities like communication, shared values, and mutual respect also play crucial roles in fostering a strong and fulfilling connection with a partner.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3050
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Duck Blinds I Have Known by Donny McElvoy

Post by Kibet Hillary »

There are some traits that I would place more emphasis on than hobbies (non-negotiables). What's more interesting is that I would even appreciate it if our hobbies were different. A person who loves staying indoors could learn a lot from one whose interests and hobbies involve activities that require going out.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Marika Pontillo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marika-pontillo.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Marika Pontillo »

I dated someone who did not read, and I found myself i implicitly trying to force him to read something. As wrong as that may sound, he spent his time bored and passively scrolling on social media, so the only thing i thought could fill up his time was reading. Nonetheless, my attempts did not elicit a response from him, and I soon realized how much knowledge he did not have, just because he chose not to read. So if someone doesn't read, it comes as a consequence that the degree of knowledge they have, on whatever field and on whatever topic, is restricted to a small pool of picked up opinions and know how. It's like accepting to be with someone who gives you the bare minimum.
Marika Pontillo
Currently Reading:

I dated someone who did not read, and I found myself i implicitly trying to force him to read something. As wrong as that may sound, he spent his time bored and passively scrolling on social media, so the only thing i thought could fill up his time was reading. Nonetheless, my attempts did not elicit a response from him, and I soon realized how much knowledge he did not have, just because he chose not to read. So if someone doesn't read, it comes as a consequence that the degree of knowledge they have, on whatever field and on whatever topic, is restricted to a small pool of picked up opinions and know how. It's like accepting to be with someone who gives you the bare minimum.
Marika Pontillo
Currently Reading:

Marika Pontillo
Currently Reading:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”