Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Chi som
Favorite Book: Wild World
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chi-som.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet
Reading Device: Epub

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Chi som »

I can but they have to understand that I'm gonna spend most of my time reading.
Ol Yinks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ol-yinks.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Ol Yinks »

Never, I would never consider dating someone that doesn't like reading.
Wisely Time
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Wisely Time »

I had the fortunate opportunity to work in a bookstore where I met someone who shared the same passion for books. We would spend hours talking shop about our favorite authors, books, genres, trends and more. In my case it worked out splendidly and I'd like to think that our passion for good books brought us together and has been a main staple in our relationship for over five years.
RonnyCollins27
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: complex PTSD Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronnycollins27.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by RonnyCollins27 »

Of course. The person I fall in love with isn’t going to be perfect and I’m not going to tell them to read or we can’t see each other. That is their choice. Freedom of choice and all that. What if they love to snow ski and I don’t? Should that end the relationship? Couples always have different hobbies and likes, reading is awesome, but not a relationship deal breaker for me.
Anahi Lopez Vidueiros
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anahi-lopez-vidueiros.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anahi Lopez Vidueiros »

It would be like dating someone who doesn´t breathe.
sabrinaknight
Currently Reading: The Wicker Park Kid
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabrinaknight.html
Latest Review: Masked Intent by Kimberly Greer

Post by sabrinaknight »

Everybody has there own preferences. If he reads, that would be great but if he doesn't that's fine by me too. We don't have to have everything in common but if he actually does, it would be really nice. At the end of the day we would sit together and criticize about the things we didn't like, and gush over things we absolutely loved and adored about the book
Aivy Daylig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aivy-daylig.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Aivy Daylig »

I could somehow date a person who doesn’t love reading as much as I am since we have different preferences and hobby. But usually every time I encountered a good book I usually share to him the concepts that I like about the book.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Will of the World
Bookshelf Size: 2286
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Shot Not Heard Around the World by Charlie damitz
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 17%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

Abimbola Oladokun_ wrote: 15 Nov 2022, 02:44 I can date someone who doesn't have an interest in reading because I read enough for the both of us😂
But seriously, I don't mind being in a relationship with someone like that, as long as they understand my passion for reading and respect it.
Good point. I think I read enough for both of us 😆
My bf should appreciate the sacrifice 😤
Scott Fling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott-fling.html
Latest Review: GOD'S PLAN FOR YOU: 21-DAY DEVOTIONAL by Tim Outlaw

Post by Scott Fling »

Ooh, that's a toughie. I can't imagine having anything in common with an non-reader... but then so long as he lets me read, and leaves me alone to it, I guess I could tolerate it? I really don't know without knowing the person!
Haweni
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Haweni »

I think I would cause reading is not for everyone ,honestly I dont even like others to read when am there cause I need more attention :D
stephastrin1438
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephastrin1438.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by stephastrin1438 »

Well I know I could cause I’m married to a non-reader. Of course I would prefer to share my love of reading with my husband, but it’s not a deal breaker. My husband respects that I love to read and in fact he bought me my very first Kindle several years ago. Now I don’t know what I’d do without it. We appreciate each other’s different hobbies and enjoy doing other things together. We’ve been married for almost 13 years now, so it can definitely work.
Aarya Gondkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarya-gondkar.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Aarya Gondkar »

This is an interesting question indeed! I think I could date someone who doesn't read if they can respect my love for reading. (Bonus points if they can treat me to books, haha) To me, shared passions between couples are important but it is even more important that one respects the other's opinions/ideas/passions even if it doesn't relate to them. If my significant other could hear me talk endlessly about books and smile throughout it, I would hear him talk endlessly about sports too, just to enjoy that twinkle in his eyes when he talks of it.
"Those who don't believe in magic will never find it."-roald dahl
BouncingTigger10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 307

Post by BouncingTigger10 »

It's interesting that the question is about dating. Can I take it a little further and ask, could you marry someone who doesn't like reading?
And then what don't they like to read? Is it books? Is it fiction? Is it poetry? Is a particular genre?

I ask these questions because I married a mathematician who reads and re- reread, and then re- reads again, the same fiction books. Mostly Terry Pratchett it's true. Whom I also love. Though I have got him reading Aaronavitch and the Time Police series from Jodi Taylor. But he reads slowly which caused him issues when he took his PhD...

Me, I read a book a day. Mostly. True I am quite disabled and spend a lot of time sitting.. and knitting, but still. I read fast.
We have been married for 50 years and find a lot to still talk about even when not reading the same books!
Neha Zala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-zala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Neha Zala »

Now that I've given it some thought, I believe the answer would most definitely be a resounding no. I don't think I'll ever want to fall in love with someone who doesn't appreciate literature, but love is at best a subjective and arbitrary feeling, and you never know what it might lead to.
Neha Zala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-zala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Neha Zala »

Now that I've given it some thought, I believe the answer would most definitely be a resounding no. I don't think I'll ever want to fall in love with someone who doesn't appreciate literature, but love is at best a subjective and arbitrary feeling, and you never know what it might lead to.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”