Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Amberly Ayra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberly-ayra.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Amberly Ayra »

Opposites attract. So if I read a lot, I'll probably end up liking someone revealing who prefers other activities. I don't see anything wrong with a person not reading for a hobby. There are all kinds of people and tastes, but I guess this depends on the opinion of each person.
Basetsana Malope
Favorite Book: Sophiatown
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Basetsana Malope »

I could never see myself dating someone who doesn't consider reading a novel even once in a year,first of all that makes me more attracted to you
Stephanie Cameron
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-cameron.html
Latest Review: Grizzly Lake by Robert Woods

Post by Stephanie Cameron »

I have married someone that does not read. He is more of a movie buff. It does not bother me that he does not have any interest in books. I have sisters that read so I can chat with them about books.
Taylor Hammerich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylor-hammerich.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Taylor Hammerich »

Yes, I could! It is my own personal hobby that I enjoy doing alone. They don't have to enjoy reading. However,I would love it if they did!
Oluchii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ne-thewriter.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluchii »

That is a big No ! I enjoy reading and I would want a partner that would enjoy it along with me. One of the things we could do together would be to curl up with a good book all day and discuss it after and share recommendations. So no,I wouldn't date someone that doesn't read
Nganyi Humphrey
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nganyi-humphrey.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Nganyi Humphrey »

I guess it is an individual choosing to do a particular activity. In the event I happen to love a person who does not read then I'll be open to dating the person provided she reciprocates my feelings accordingly.
Ateshi John
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ateshi-john.html
Latest Review: The Unlikely Cowboy by James E. Doucette

Post by Ateshi John »

:mrgreen2: To be very honest, it's a NO for me.
I enjoy reading and not just reading but sharing and discussing a story with someone who has read the same book in the past. This helps me to see the book in a new light and realise what lessons I missed or failed to learn. No one has a perfect view on any subject, discussing and having constructive arguments with a close friend over a subject you both enjoyed is nothing short of beautiful. So no, I can't date someone who doesn't read.
Achiever Tandoh
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-achiever-tandoh.html
Latest Review: Burly by Paul Drewitt

Post by Achiever Tandoh »

Of course I would. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes. I can't expect my beloved to have the same interests as I do. Reading is a hobby for me, it doesn't have to be for everyone. If they appreciate me fir who I am and don't interfere with my reading, everything should be fine.
Latest Review: Burly by Paul Drewitt
Brittany Tatman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-tatman.html
Latest Review: Riven Calyx by Mark Leon Collins

Post by Brittany Tatman »

As a long-time avid reader, I most definitely could. While long conversations over a cup of coffee in the morning is extremely attractive, if we end up disagreeing on some of my favorites, we're in for a hard road.
Joking aside, I could never limit myself to someone that reads, as many people as there are that do read for fun. Having different hobbies gives us the opportunity to teach each other about our favorite pastimes. Letting someone talk about their passions is just as fulfilling as being passionate about the same thing sometimes.
Victoryanthony4
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 38

Post by Victoryanthony4 »

Yes i can. As far as i am reading I will always get her informed.
Mistie Bickford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mistie-bickford.html
Latest Review: Proud to Be Me Rosalinda Part 2 by Jesse Moreno

Post by Mistie Bickford »

I think I could, as long as they didn't have a problem with me reading when I wanted to.
bayleighadd
Currently Reading: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by bayleighadd »

I think I could date someone who doesn't read as long as they support me reading. A lot of people think that people who read are just boring people or they think reading is "gross". If I were to date someone I would need them to support who I am and that would be my reading as well.
Rinkal21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rinkal21 »

According to me, reading is a personal choice and is my passion to enhance my knowledge. Everyone has a personal choice and I would love to respect the opponent's choices as well. I would definitely date a person who doesn't read because I believe if someone loves me as an intense book reader then why can't I love someone who has different tastes? By the way, I am currently dating a guy who hates reading but buys me a lot many sources to read:)
Sydney Ash
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-ash.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Sydney Ash »

I only read for my own enjoyment. It does not bother me if the person I am with reads or doesn't read. I doubt we would even have the same taste in books anyways.
Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Of All Faiths & None
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-felix-mnjala-maneno.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Fredrick Felix Mnjala Maneno »

I've been called a bookworm and a show off because of my tendency to read almost all the time; even while eating!!! It would be a real challenge dating someone who doesn't read seeing as I live for books, I live in books😊😊. No I don't think it'd work for me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”