Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
smolbird
Favorite Author: Rick Riordan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 264
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smolbird.html
Latest Review: Pariah by Robert C. Swetz
fav_author_id: 2909

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by smolbird »

I think I could be with someone who hates reading as long as he isn't obnoxious.
"It does not do well to dwell on dreams and forget to live." - Albus Dumbledore
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

I do read a lot in my free time. There are many interesting books on the shelves I would like to read. But for me not reading books would not exclude anybody dating them. You can share other interests like doing sports, cooking together, listening to music or watching films.
efranks
Currently Reading: The Raven's Trail
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by efranks »

My boyfriend doesn't read nearly as much as I do, but we still have a fantastic relationship. I think it depends on what you're expecting out of the relationship. I personally think the most important aspect of it is whether he respects your love of reading. When I get stressed out about school or other stuff, he tells me to take a break and read. That is definitely most important to me.
WADonnelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wadonnelly.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by WADonnelly »

It depends. If they don't read because they just don't enjoy it or don't have much time for it then that is fair enough. But if they don't read because they can't manage a full book then no I couldn't be with them.
Ilian ZHU
Favorite Book: Legacy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ilian-zhu.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Ilian ZHU »

Well it would be a little sad to recommend a book to him and that he doesn't show any intrerest in reading it
Or get exited by telling him the story of a book that i really liked and that he doesn't care
But I don't think it's absolutely necessary for him to share that hobby with me.
jeanmtdb
Favorite Book: Devil Among Us
Currently Reading: The Dragons of Chiroptera
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeanmtdb.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jeanmtdb »

I married someone who didn't read. He didn't understand my obsession with it. He didn't want to go to a bookstore, see all the books in my bookcase, and considered it antisocial if I sat in the living room to read. No, I would not do that again.
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

I'm not sure. Some individuals only read short paragraphs of interest on WWW or only social media postings. Reading does at least provide some common point of reference. A few more points of reference need to be present in order to build lasting relationships on . The other party in a relationship should at least have an opinion to offer , whether as a reader or not. No need to have agreement, but certainly some grey matter would help. Perpetual watching of sitcoms or material that generate no mental activity would be more challenging to bear,
Etienneza
Currently Reading: The Ancestor's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etienneza.html
Latest Review: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy by H. Nattanya Andersen

Post by Etienneza »

I'm not sure. Some individuals only read short paragraphs of interest on WWW or only social media postings. Reading does at least provide some common point of reference. A few more points of reference need to be present in order to build lasting relationships on . The other party in a relationship should at least have an opinion to offer , whether as a reader or not. No need to have agreement, but certainly some grey matter would help. Perpetual watching of sitcoms or material that generate no mental activity would be more challenging to bear,
Nicholus Schroeder
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholus-schroeder.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Nicholus Schroeder »

Well as long as she is a curious spirit, even if she is not particularly fond of reading, it would not bother me that much
KristinaJB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by KristinaJB »

DriftwoodJames wrote: 15 Jan 2007, 16:29 No. Hell no. Hell No. It would not happen. Someone who chooses not to read, chooses not to excercise their mind, and a mind is the sexiest part of a woman's body. Then, all other things. I would never date someone who did not read. Dating such a person would result in reprehensions not worth my time.

Dating such a person would result in limited conversation, attention, and creativity. I prefer to date sociopathic mad-women. Something with a little spark in the gas furnace.

Danger and intrigue coupled with intellect and creativity are sexier than any run of the mill runway model, supermodel, or move-star.

J. Edward Nolan

OMG your post really had me laughing. I’m with a non reader, but he is into bettering himself and taking care of our family. I read like crazy, but him not reading doesn’t dampen our conversations. He listens to me talk about books all the time! We have meaningful and engaging discussions. I think you have to look at the whole person.
KristinaJB
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47

Post by KristinaJB »

LoveHatesYou wrote: 16 Jan 2007, 12:01 As long as they are still thinking, then I am okay with it... but if they are one of those I refuse to think and let the TV do it for me then they can start packing before they put the suitcase down. No matter how good they look in a banana hammock. Which refutes the popular saying: No woman can reist a man who looks good in a speedo. I swear it's a popular saying. Or a heward it in a song once. Either way- no brain- no love.
I have never heard that before, but I agree about someone having to do more that watch tv and the ever popular all day gameplay.
Lunupine
Favorite Book: The Future of Buildings, Transportation and Power
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunupine.html
Latest Review: Leaving Dahomey by Jude Shaw

Post by Lunupine »

Yes I would date someone who does not read.
Aliphsi
Currently Reading: Life Lessons
Bookshelf Size: 877
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliphsi.html
Latest Review: Running the Sahara by Marcel Nickler
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Aliphsi »

Reading is a hobby. I won't take on halo (as an example) just cause my partner wants me to. As long as he doesn't criticize my reading and his hobbies are legal we are good. I would love to date an avid reader but I don't care if they don't. I always talk about my books anyway, something may sound interesting to them someday.
Goral
Currently Reading: A Brief History of Time
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goral.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Goral »

Scott wrote: 09 Jan 2007, 15:00 Could you date someone who doesn't read? I don't mean someone who can't read, but someone who chooses to read almost nothing, and who almost never reads a book. Could you get into a romantic relationship with such a person?

I doubt that I could. I could never get emotionally close to a person who doesn't read books, mainly because we could never discuss a specific book, and the person would never be able to take any of my recommendations let alone make any recommendations of their own to me.

(This is nothing that's happening to me right now, just a random hypothetical that I've been pondering when I can't sleep at night and such. :wink: )
I don't think I would choose to date a person who doesn't read because there are 90 percent chances that the person won't understand my passion to read. Also, like you said we wouldn't be able to talk about books.
You can't buy happiness but you can buy books, and that's kind of the same thing
chinaappleamui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by chinaappleamui »

What a funny question because that was me a few months ago! I realized that I just "never had the time" to read but I had the time to watch TV... I think for people who haven't picked up a really great book, reading isn't a hobby because they never enjoyed it. It's so important to find a good book to read, otherwise it can be boring. To answer your question I do think it's possible to get into a romantic relationship with someone who does not read. Since this is something that can be changed!

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”