Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Charlienmegan Wehner
Currently Reading: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlienmegan-wehner.html
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Charlienmegan Wehner »

Yes, I think as long as they had another hobby that was in the same creative/intellectual realm although I love discussing great books with my husband and reading them together!
Latest Review: Death Ray by Tom King
Christine Tamuno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-tamuno.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Christine Tamuno »

Of course I can but it would be lovely if they read too. Especially if they read the types of books I like to read, that would be amazing but even if they don't I would still date them and do the reading for both of us.
AnnaMarie Collins
Currently Reading: Solaris Seethes
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annamarie-collins.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AnnaMarie Collins »

I've been married to my husband for 20 years, and while I'm a reader, he's a gamer. It definitely works for us; I respect his hobby and he respects mine! I'll buy him game-related gifts, and he'll surprise me with new books. We'll hang out together while he's gaming and I'm reading. It's the perfect arrangement for us!
Leoneth Kristel Baldelovar
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Favorite Book: Court of Thorn and Roses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by Leoneth Kristel Baldelovar »

Hmm. I met guys who does not read books, just manhwa or comics. Can I date them? No, my life's pretty boring and the only way I can get out of this daily and repetitive routine is to indulge myself in reading which gives me a great feeling of solidarity. Anyway, dating someone who does not the same interest with me and have no plans to be interested in it, is such a no no for me.
Moitheri Hanese
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moitheri-hanese.html
Latest Review: Genesis Awakens by Akorede Adekoya and Howard Haugom

Post by Moitheri Hanese »

I have but I probably wouldn't again. There's something about being a reader and dating someone who doesn't read that makes the relationship a bit of a drag. :!:
I usually try to connect with deep conversation and I'd say most of what I think comes from what I read...would be nice to have that kind of mindset reciprocated
Jen Nghishitende
Currently Reading: Exploring Wine Regions – Bordeaux France
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jen-nghishitende.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Jen Nghishitende »

Not all all. That would mean I cant even discuss my book with them because they wont even see it as something valuable. noooo
kajal31
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajal31.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by kajal31 »

I think I can do this. For me, reading is a hobby. I read to explore myself better. Reading helps me articulate my thoughts better and hold better conversations. If that person is not interested in reading, then it is okay for me because there are many other things as well. Maybe he has other hobbies. The important thing is to respect each other's decisions and understand each other better. 
kasedy Fairbairn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasedy-fairbairn.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by kasedy Fairbairn »

My husband has a crap ton of books but he never reads them. Honestly it drives me batty that they just sit there. He does have a good reason though. He must have absolute complete silence to read, which does not happen in our house. The kids and the cats keep this house alive that’s for sure. I could not date someone who hates books though. I think I would clash with them way to much.
Amina Yusuf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amina-yusuf.html
Latest Review: Can I Be Frank? by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B07PQLY49F

Post by Amina Yusuf »

Reading is so important to me because I started reading at a very early age. I think it is important to share some things in common with someone you are dating. For me, reading is a criteria before I can date someone.
Lindsey Barger
Currently Reading: Think Again
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-barger.html
Latest Review: Finding Joy with an Invisible Chronic Illness by Christopher Martin
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Lindsey Barger »

I am married to a guy who doesn't read. I tried to get him in to it when we first started dating, but quickly gave up - it's just not who he is. Where a book transports me into another world, movies and comics do that for him. There are many times when he's in one room watching a movie while I'm in another reading my book. It took him a while to understand that a book could make me laugh or cry the way a movie evokes those emotions from him.
Tonia Freeman
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Black Hat/White Hat: A tale of Good is Evil
Bookshelf Size: 756
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonia-freeman.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Tonia Freeman »

My fiancé doesn't read books often but he is incredibly smart. He is very type A and when he does read it's usually about stocks and airplanes (he's a pilot). He can spend 4 hours researching the perfect part for our car or how to do a home improvement project. I still talk to him about what I'm reading. I expect that someday when he isn't working 60-80 hours a week that he would read more often. So I think it really depends on the person.
Strawberryscone

Post by Strawberryscone »

I'm not sure, but I don't mind giving it a try. It's not a deal-breaker though.
OlaYinkahh
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olayinkahh.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger

Post by OlaYinkahh »

No, I can't. I love reading a lot and I would want my partner to match my energy level on books
Lexie Price 1
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexie-price-1.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Lexie Price 1 »

Honestly, I think I could. I love to read, but I've certainly had times in my life where I've been too stressed or just not had enough time to make it a priority. In fact, because I've struggled with depression, sometimes that has kept me from reading as well. So I can empathize with those being issues that might prevent someone from reading as well.

Even if it's just a matter of preference, though, I think I'd be okay with it. It would be different if someone was actively against anyone reading and anti-intellectual, but reading is inherently morally neutral. So if someone didn't, as long as we were otherwise compatible, I think I'd be okay with it. It's nice to have things in common with your partner—but you don't have to have everything in common.
Iqbal Jaafar
Currently Reading:

Post by Iqbal Jaafar »

Yes I can if she can understand I have another hobby other than spending time with her. I once married to a woman who does not read any book at all. She know its my hobby and she's okay with it. But she does not get how precious my books are. She once throw out my books out because of disputes and I'm so upset with it until now. To answer once I again your question yes I can date with them but I certainly want my next women to be a reader like me.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”