Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Daniella Dhanesar
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 11

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Daniella Dhanesar »

Well, I am dating someone who has no interest in reading books but I believe it's because he has never read a good book and I plan to change that!!
AbandonedProfile1
Currently Reading: Where the Crawdads Sing
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annica-steyn.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by AbandonedProfile1 »

It would definitely be a plus if he likes to read and thereby allow us to explore different worlds together... But as long as he does not mind me curling up with a book (and especially does not interrupt me while I am immersed in said book), we could make it work. For instance if he chose to make dinner or wash the dishes while I chill read he cannot be too bad :)
Elena Nechita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elena-nechita.html
Latest Review: Zara Hanson & The Mystery of the Painted Symbol by J.L. Haynes

Post by Elena Nechita »

I wouldn't count them out for this, but from experience, there are a lot more topics to be discussed between two readers.
Evelyn Mashale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evelyn-mashale.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Evelyn Mashale »

Yes, I would. I mean I would like to date someone who also reads, that way we could have reading dates where it's just the silence and us but I can still do that with someone who doesn't read. Or maybe I could read for them.
Gautami G
Favorite Book: Tell Me Your Dreams
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gautami-g.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Gautami G »

Absolutely not! One's recommendation says so much about the person, about their way of thinking, their interests. Being a book reader is almost a necessity.
DE Navarro
Currently Reading: The Way of Zen
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DE Navarro »

Such a funny question, never really thought of it before. I've been married for 36 years, haven't dated in all that time (other than with my wife). My wife is an avid reader. I don't ever remember it being a "criteria" by which I judged the girls I dated, but usually a person that is a reader is a great conversationalist, educated, has that well-read poise and ability to engage mentally with others, and all those were obvious factors of the women that attracted me. So in a roundabout way, I would say that if a girl I dated was not reader it would be reflected in her other manners and methods to a degree that I would be put off by someone who was not well-read and so probably would not have entered into a romantic relationship.
DarellHershey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DarellHershey »

I guess that's a possibility as long as we do have other things in common.
Courtney Hughes
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-courtney-hughes.html
Latest Review: Summer in the City by Kevin Phelps

Post by Courtney Hughes »

The more I think about it, no, I couldn’t date someone who doesn’t read. I feel as if everyone should exercise their mind and vocabulary by reading something if interest to them.
Jordan Bricks
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-bricks.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Jordan Bricks »

I can. She may have other qualities I like.
Jordan Bricks
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-bricks.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Jordan Bricks »

Yes, sure. There could be something else I like. Some people who don't read are better thinkers and better at conversations than people who read.
Rhea_K
Currently Reading: Rising Sun
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhea-k_2353942.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Rhea_K »

Honestly I AM experiencing this and it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Growing up I always believed that I HAD to date someone who reads otherwise it is a big NO from me. But I guess opposites do attract as most of our hobbies don't align but our chemistry is great! I guess the most important thing should be that your partner respects your likes and dislikes and lends you an ear whenever you talk about them. Even though the person I'm seeing does not read, he creates a very comfortable atmosphere that allows me to share my love of books and even read out important parts from books that I read to him. It's strange but I guess I'm slowly turning him into a reader :D
eggnog
Currently Reading: The Art of Rhetoric
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by eggnog »

Definitely! My current boyfriend doesn't read books, but instead is really into games. We're both very independent in the relationship, but also very intimate. I love it, it's the perfect balance for me.
oussamaelmajid
Currently Reading: Amora
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by oussamaelmajid »

Honestly I would, but I would attempt with the best of my efforts to turn her into a reader in order to be able to share with her what I love most: Books! Because for me, reading, is like work-out for the brains. And who doesn't like to work-out (jogging for instance) together? So it is with reading, it would be a great opportunity to train the brain muscle together with your significant other, if she's not into books, I'd handpick specific works which would get her into the reading hobby in no time, and remove the obstacles which she face while reading, such as laziness, non-conducive environment, lack of reading interest, and lack of the first impulse or spark which is necessary. For instance, I'd read a book which I'm sure she would love, summarize it for her without spoiling anything, so she could get grow her book reading interest without getting discouraged, bored or altogether uninterested to open the first page.
Neshboy Aburi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neshboy-aburi.html
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks

Post by Neshboy Aburi »

Obviously, I would. My current fiance does not ready and has never been a reader. The good thing is that she is very encouraging and doesn't the long hours I sometimes spend engrossed in books
Latest Review: Darksoul by L. Brooks
HRRyan2668
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by HRRyan2668 »

Dating someone who doesn't know how to read or chooses not to read are two different things. When faced with a proposition to date someone who doesn't know how to read, I would need to know if the person ever had the desire to read or if they would want to continue living this way. If they were happy in their lifestyle and uninterested in furthering their skills or broadening their horizons, so to speak, I would probably swim away within the dating pool. However, I am currently in a relationship with someone who does not enjoy reading, therefore, they do not pick up books very often. This person has a different way of learning or escaping reality and it primarily relies on schematics or images of mechanical structures or engines to vehicles. Their ability to enter a world without reading words amazes me. We do "read" things together which consists of me reading something out loud to them and then having a discussion afterward. In summation, I could and currently am dating someone who doesn't read.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”