Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Vusumuzi Dube
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vusumuzi-dube.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Vusumuzi Dube »

Absolutely not. Code Red!
Debra Morgan
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debra-morgan.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Debra Morgan »

My husband doesn't read books, but he reads everything from weather and news stories (his passion is weather BORING!) to articles about anything and everything about wars, past and present, and all sorts of things I have to work hard to block out. lol We have vastly different interests and tastes in reading, but he does read. Could I have married someone who didn't read? Nope. I am truly of the opinion that knowledge gained through reading is better retained and that we tend to understand information more easily when it is in print. And, in my humble and admittedly biased opinion, people who read are more intelligent. (I'll leave now, you don't have to crucify me!)
Etini Willie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-etini-willie.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Etini Willie »

I would definitely have difficulties in that relationship. Sometimes you might be engrossed in reading and the person needs yt our attention. She might think you are snubbing because he/she doesn't understand reading could be very absorbing
Hannah Chapman
Currently Reading: On Writing
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Hannah Chapman »

I am married to someone who doesn’t read. For me personally reading is a hobby that I enjoy, but it doesn’t consume my life. My husband and I are able to find plenty of topics that we are both interested in that doesn’t require reading. I’ve also read books on some of his hobbies so we can connect through that. That’s also the way I have gotten him to read before.
However, I completely understand that for some people reading is such a large part of their lives that dating a non-reader doesn’t make sense. It’s an irreconcilable difference in personalities. I’m a very politically active person so I definitely couldn’t date someone with opposing political views.
Briana LeClair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Briana LeClair »

I spend a lot of my time reading, looking up books, and scrolling through reading group pages online. I love book to screen adaptations, looking up and creating my own fan art, and have shelves and stacks all over my house of books I either have or maybe never will read. My husband has NEVER read a book of his own free will, but has never once said a negative word to me about all of mine. He’ll let me rage on and on about a book or character, listen as I vent my frustration with my own personal writings, and will even ask me how my current read is going or how many books I’ve read in the week. He doesn’t have to read for us to enjoy our relationship. He has plenty of hobbies I have no interest in, but I’m interested in HIM, so I make the effort to ask and know as much as I can about what makes him happy like how he does for me and my reading. It’s more than possible to be in a relationship with someone who doesn’t share one of your core interests so long as they’re respectful of your interests and you respect that they’re not interested at all.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I answered this question a few years ago, but I have an update!

I started dating a man who didn't read. He said that he liked and respected books, but that they just weren't his thing. Two years later, and I am slowly getting him to read more and more, and he is excited about it. I kept telling him that he just hadn't found the right books for him yet, and then I introduced him to Ender's Game. He loves it! I got him Cosmic Queries and some awesome bookmarks for Christmas.

So I guess can date someone who doesn't read, but, as it turns out, I will do my best to change their mind about books!
Arianne Joy Melendres
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arianne-joy-melendres.html
Latest Review: The graveyard and other poems by Mae Bea Sayes

Post by Arianne Joy Melendres »

I have dated not-so avid readers, and will probably continue to. But I won't lie; I would definitely prefer to date a fellow bookworm ! I read for both pleasure and knowledge; if a guy I dated refused to read for pleasure, I could take that. I would absolute say no to someone who refuses to learn--whether through books or not--or just not have the passion to actively learn, however.
Vusumuzi Dube
Currently Reading:

Post by Vusumuzi Dube »

I have asked a lot of people the question and they said they could. Unlike poles attract and like poles don't attract.
Vusumuzi Dube
Currently Reading:

Post by Vusumuzi Dube »

I have dated both those who could and those who couldn't read. At that time I didn't mind if they could or couldn't. Ignorance is bliss right?
Vusumuzi Dube
Currently Reading:

Post by Vusumuzi Dube »

Yes. Well everyone views topics like these differently. It's like would you marry him/her if he doesn't have money?
clumsy smurf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clumsy-smurf.html
Latest Review: A Walk in the Twilight by John J Bosco Jr.

Post by clumsy smurf »

Yes because I don't think it would affect our relationship. I love reading but that doesn't mean I spend most of my time reading. I think in a relationship u can find things you both enjoy and things u do separately.
xsolomon1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by xsolomon1 »

How much reading you do does not define the type of person you are. I am not expecting my partner to read numerous books either. I would be okay if my significant other did not read any books, however, I would encourage them to at least try to read something daily whether it is the news or scrolling through Twitter. Now the older we get the harder it is not to read random signs, words on pictures, or even street signs but being ignorant enough not to know that reading can and will make you smarter and expand your vocabulary is a big red flag!!
Rexan
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rexan.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Rexan »

Reading for me is a hobby and something personal. I will therefore not impose it on someone that I'm fully content with as a lover. If it's my significant half's choice to read, perfect. In my opinion, it is not a criterion for choosing a lover, but if love comes with that hobby, perfect.
Celestine Lee
Favorite Author: Dan Brown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celestine-lee.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Higher Ground by Thomas A. Brigger
fav_author_id: 2452

Post by Celestine Lee »

I think I will be ok with it because it's just a hobby for me and it's normal not to share the same hobby. I also think that we might not actually benefit from discussing books if we have drastically different viewpoints and can't understand each other which might lead to more relationship issues. As long as he understands I need some alone time to read and actually has his own thoughts instead of relying on gadgets I think I can bear with it! Though I must admit they will hold less appeal to me.
Vusumuzi Dube
Currently Reading:

Post by Vusumuzi Dube »

If you really love each other reading becomes a secondary issue.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”