Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Njatha77 »

Yes I do, and are. Rarely do we discuss books, but that's okay. We talk about other things.
EddyFiend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by EddyFiend »

Of course, I'm completely fine with someone that doesn't share all my same hobbies. There's more to love than just if they read books or not after all.
Njatha77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-njatha77.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Njatha77 »

I couldn't agree more.
MarcellaM
Currently Reading: Grey heart
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shillah-a.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by MarcellaM »

I wouldn't mind dating someone who doesn't read. The fact that he doesn't read doesn't mean he cannot engage in something else that is more proactive . Besides, through him i would learn some more things i can do better on my own and we may also share useful opinions.
Vanessa Leong
Currently Reading: Finish what you start
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vanessa-leong.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Vanessa Leong »

I could! In fact, I'm married to a man who reads little more than the sports section in the newspaper! :lol2: While it would be nice to be able to discuss interesting plots and perspectives in our recent reads as a couple, I have never believed that partners must have the same hobbies. We all have our individual personalities, likes and dislikes that shine under different environments and circumstances. He has never tried to push his hobbies onto me and I would never do the same to him. We enjoy our own hobbies sometimes together and sometimes apart. I think some personal time and space is essential for a healthy relationship.

Also, I think it is an unfair fallacy to assume that one who doesn't indulge in reading has no capacity to have deep and meaningful thoughts and conversations. Is any person who reads automatically one of great intellect and wisdom? I think not.

I enjoy reading. I enjoy immersing myself in an imagined world and watching it play out in my head. I enjoy learning about how other people see and experience the world in the hopes of bettering my own experience here on earth. However, I don't think it is fair to judge others negatively if they choose not to. Perhaps they're in a different world, creating their own experience of life and I can appreciate that :)
cogitononsum
Currently Reading: The Great Gatsby
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cogitononsum.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by cogitononsum »

I'm pretty sure I could, because we don't necessarily need to have the same interests in order to mix. If they're interested in something else, that's great! As long as they don't belittle me and my interests, we're all fine and dandy.
Dimi1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dimi1.html
Latest Review: One Woman's Long and Lonely Walk by Gail Hart

Post by Dimi1 »

What enjoys someone is his/her personal thing (except if he/she enjoys killing people :D ). Either way, if two people get along, then it doesn't really matter if one reads and the other does not).
talli_5
Currently Reading: Royal Assassin
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by talli_5 »

I definitely could. I think its necessary for both sides of a couple to have some independent interests in order to keep your individuality. If he doesent like reading then fine, we can share other things together. As long as he keeps quiet when i'm reading and fills my wine glass :wink:
Harmony_in_RedRock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harmony-in-redrock.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Harmony_in_RedRock »

I never thought I would marry a non-reader, but alas, I have been married to one for almost 12 years now. As a civil engineer he is a very intelligent man with a wicked sense of humor he just doesn't like to read for fun. In his defense he does have eye problems that make reading strenuous so I get it, but it has caused a little friction between us here and there. Overall though I wouldn't trade home for anything in the world.
Hannaredpanda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannaredpanda.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Hannaredpanda »

My partner is more into comics/graphic novels and I enjoy fantasy novels/manga. I don't think we have to enjoy the same things exactly I just have to have my time to read and do our own thing.
markodim721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 482
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-markodim721.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by markodim721 »

I couldn't be with someone who doesn't read. We would simply be like two different worlds.
Cwilde13
Currently Reading: Watership Down
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwilde13.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cwilde13 »

I actually married someone who is not a fan of reading. I still try to give him recommendations when I come across a book that I know he will love. Even though he doesn't like reading, he still listens every time I need to vent about a book that I hate or fangirl over a book that I love.
EricL
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericl.html
Latest Review: Rulers of the Galaxy by Tayma Tameem

Post by EricL »

I could at the only condition that the person is open about reading. If they don't read because they can't find something worth while, I will try to find something she would like. If she just doesn't want to read because it is too boring or something then she can get out.
Gemjay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemjay.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Gemjay »

Yeah I think I could as long as we have a common interest in other stuff. Definitely I will have my own time to read.
Phoenix_ Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phoenix-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Phoenix_ Thompson »

Loving someone isn't limited by our reading skills, yes it's a given that two people who love reading will have a lot in common hence end up recommending books to each other but it doesn't mean that people can't love each due to the lack of reading enthusiasm on one partner.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”