Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Sip Lake by joseph basara

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Honest-reviewer »

Great question!! Well... It depends.. If the other person understands my love for books and does not nag me about it then it’s okay. But if he hates it so much that doesn’t even let me read peacefully then I don’t think that relationship is gonna last long !
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger

Post by Jlblawrence »

My husband doesn't read at all. But he enjoys playing video games, so he does that while I read. It doesn't bother me as long as the game doesn't have narrative! When they start speaking it completely scrambles my brain and makes reading impossible!
Sekhautet
Currently Reading: Adventures of a Vegan Vamp
Bookshelf Size: 5531
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sekhautet.html
Latest Review: Plum Rains on Happy House by Michael A. Greco

Post by Sekhautet »

I have married two husbands that didn’t read. It wasn’t an issue because we had a lot of other things in common and I had book friends to talk with.
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

:techie-studyingbrown: To date someone who doesn't read is like trying to operate a high beam torch light with no batteries. They say that "opposites attract" but in this case I beg to differ. Reading expands your vocabulary, it educates you. Education is the ability to make "sense of one's environment." Therefore a non- reader is not informed and cannot make "sense of his/her environment." In essence, to be in a relationship with such an individual would not only be frustrating, but in my opinion, a recipe for failure. Even the Bible warns persons of "being unequally yoked in a relationship." Persons who don't read lack vision; they are unable to plan ahead for the future. If one cannot make sense of the present, how then can one make sense of the future? "Without a vision the people perish!" So to answer the question in a nutshell, I cannot date a person who does not read or lacks the passion for reading.
Theo319
Favorite Book: Grave Peril
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theo319.html
Latest Review: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones by Chris Reynolds

Post by Theo319 »

:D That's a very good question. I would be able to date someone who doesn't read if we had a mutual understanding of our likes and dislikes. We could also find some other common ground. And there is also the possibility that my partner could get converted as well.
Mario Topaz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mario-topaz.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Mario Topaz »

Honestly, no! Who will I share the pleasing feelings from the books I read? My preference goes to dating a reader, a person who will understand when he sees me smile while reading and won't say am becoming a psycho! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rabia Farooq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rabia-farooq.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Rabia Farooq »

Absolutely not! I mean I need someone to fangirl with over all the characters and someone to cry about the fictional deaths with! I think there is a whole new world that in unlocked with reading books and I don't know how to live with someone who does not have access to all that magic.
ABDUL-WAKIL MOHAMMED
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by ABDUL-WAKIL MOHAMMED »

Date the person and convince her/him to love acquiring knowledge[by studying and reading].
Davy kalimbwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Davy kalimbwe »

Sure I can, although it'd be quite difficulty to get along
alkaMish
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alkamish.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by alkaMish »

I am in fact dating someone who can't read to save his life and still it's going great for us. Sometimes it does irritate me especially when I write something and need someone's advice on it. Other than those times, it's fine. People who are different teach each other a lot.
ksjordan59
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksjordan59.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by ksjordan59 »

Absolutely not! Reading is as essential as breathing is to me. I love to sit in the peaceful quite as me and my partner both read. We don't have to read the same things; in fact having different interests would make conversations more lively.

I tell others that you can learn from whatever you read - fiction, non-fiction. Anything!
Wazzala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Wazzala »

Nope, I will need to have a partner who can tell me about books he read, and perhaps give some recommendations.
NurseCourtney30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by NurseCourtney30 »

I have dated those who read and those who dont. Both is a toss up. When you get someone who reads certain kinds of genres that you do not- then does it matter or whats the difference? lol
No matter what, I'll read a book and tell you all about it, especially because I like non-fiction books which makes it easy to bring up during conversation.
I can date anyone, but I do appreciate someone who loves literature and the beauty of it.
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Of course i can unless and until he has a problem with my reading habbit.
docfatima
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19764">The Duke's Holiday</a>
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-docfatima.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by docfatima »

My husband does not read and I'm happy. I think "opposites attract" is a suitable saying in our case.
even miracles take a little time. :angelic-blueglow:

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”