Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

I wouldn't date someone who doesn't read. Books open up your mind. A reading couple is an informed one.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
AlphasFemale
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Gilded Wolves
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alphasfemale.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by AlphasFemale »

I married someone who doesn't read. My husband has no appreciation for books what so ever except for the fact that they make me happy. He has even stated that he doesn't understand how or why a book can bring me so much enjoyment for hours on end, but since it dose he will keep getting them for me. He might not enjoy reading himself but he has taken enough interest to know my favorite genres and authors. He even buys me the newest books my all time favorite author releases and any other book he sees me stop to look at multiple times. Most recently he got me a brand new tablet so that I can take multiple books with me easier when we take a trip and so that I have a more comfortable screen to read my eBooks off of instead of my phone. We might not be able to talk about books with each other but he is a movie watcher and I am not so frequently while he watches a movie in the evenings I am cuddled up beside him with a book. We still get time together that way but both of us are doing something that we enjoy.
russel_ruth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russel-ruth.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by russel_ruth »

Well, reading is quite wonderful pass time for me but the person I admire prefers playing computer games or something else. The thing we bond over are anime and movie.

Reading means that you enjoy a story and the characters within it. And a good story with characters are not necessarily inside of a book all the time. There are various mediums.

So yes, I can date someone who doesn't read as long as they can appreciate a good story.
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Post by Fi Zoraa »

I don't think I could date someone who doesn't read. Reading is a big part of my life and I think it's a great way to expand your understanding. It can be a part of personal growth and if I can't share that with the person I'm dating, I don't think the relationship will last.
Kawther22
Currently Reading: The Sea-Wolf
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kawther22.html
Latest Review: So, You're Raising Your Grandkids! by Harriet Hodgson

Post by Kawther22 »

daphne_asir wrote: 28 May 2020, 12:35
Kawther22 wrote: 25 May 2020, 23:44 I would just so that I can inspire them to read! I believe one of the reasons people do not read is because they do not know where to start and as a teacher, I have seen this issue with some of my students. After doing a lot a fun reading activities and encouragement, many of those reluctant students turn to reading.

That's such a beautiful way of looking at things! I started reading because of a teacher in my school. It also helps to know someone has your best interest at heart. Keep up the great work!

Thank you. I am happy to hear you started reading because of your teacher. This gives me chills! :D I believe being interested in reading is an achievement in itself so you keep up the great work too!
“I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book.” – Groucho Marx :D :tiphat: :techie-studyinggray:
Misty20058
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misty20058.html
Latest Review: Dying Well by Susan Ducharme Hoben

Post by Misty20058 »

I would go either way. I would be great to have a partner to discuss books with but beware of spoilers! If they did not read I would somehow manage to get them reading as I'm sure they will soon love it!
Turk Joel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Turk Joel »

All the women i have looked at have always had books in their faces. I can't think of anything greater to see in a woman than a book fo a mind. I wouldn't date a person who doesn't read
Alexandra1234
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra1234.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Alexandra1234 »

I have no problem whatsoever. My boyfriend reads very little and that doesn't bother me. He makes music, so he's more into sounds than words, although words do play an important role. We've been together for 8 years and we still find many different things to discuss and debate. I have you guys and some friends to talk about the books I read. :) :techie-studyinggray:
'' A book is a dream you hold in your hand.'' - Neil Gaiman
char8026
Currently Reading: Dark Fae
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-char8026.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by char8026 »

I married a man that doesn't have my love of books. It isn't an issue with us. He lets me read whenever I want to, for how long I want to, and never questions the number of books that I buy. He has his own interests and we have our combined interests. It works well for us.
purvasha__
Currently Reading: The forgotten daughter
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purvasha.html
Latest Review: Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

Post by purvasha__ »

Yeah, of course. They can begin reading, can't they? And if he's a good person in all, then there isn't any issue as I already have a lot of friends who don't read
Yuffielyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Yuffielyn »

Trinah wrote: 12 Jan 2007, 21:13 Yes, I could. It wouldn't be that hard, though I read a lot I wouldn't mind if I dated someone who didn't.
It is right because you can talk other things like place to go, what music both of you love, or other things that but of you will like and pleased. :)
dhaval_d84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaval-d84.html
Latest Review: The Last Assassination by James E Doucette

Post by dhaval_d84 »

Well, I married the one who does. I think that explains everything. :D
In fact, we first starting talking because of the idea of exchanging books to read.
Carlynn27
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Carlynn27 »

I honestly could date someone that is not really that into reading because I Know that sometimes life gets busy and we just don't have enough time to get to read a good book. Or like me In the past I would always get all these good books at the library then never read any of them it made me sad that after 2 renewals I still hadn't had the time.
lkemeny1
Favorite Book: Where the Crawdads Sing
Currently Reading: Reckonings
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lkemeny1.html
Latest Review: Hands Across The Sea by Brian Cook

Post by lkemeny1 »

I could totally date someone who doesn't read, but they would have to understand how much I read. I need my alone time with my book. It helps me relax, but I want to be left alone!
alavirafi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alavirafi.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by alavirafi »

I think I'll be able to cope with a "non-reader" but under one condition, that is she has to tolerate my spare time book reading. If she ever raises any question like " Why are YOU always reading".... I think I'll kill her. XD

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”