Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Marika Pontillo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marika-pontillo.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Marika Pontillo »

I dated someone who did not read, and I found myself i implicitly trying to force him to read something. As wrong as that may sound, he spent his time bored and passively scrolling on social media, so the only thing i thought could fill up his time was reading. Nonetheless, my attempts did not elicit a response from him, and I soon realized how much knowledge he did not have, just because he chose not to read. So if someone doesn't read, it comes as a consequence that the degree of knowledge they have, on whatever field and on whatever topic, is restricted to a small pool of picked up opinions and know how. It's like accepting to be with someone who gives you the bare minimum.
Marika Pontillo
Currently Reading:

I dated someone who did not read, and I found myself i implicitly trying to force him to read something. As wrong as that may sound, he spent his time bored and passively scrolling on social media, so the only thing i thought could fill up his time was reading. Nonetheless, my attempts did not elicit a response from him, and I soon realized how much knowledge he did not have, just because he chose not to read. So if someone doesn't read, it comes as a consequence that the degree of knowledge they have, on whatever field and on whatever topic, is restricted to a small pool of picked up opinions and know how. It's like accepting to be with someone who gives you the bare minimum.
Marika Pontillo
Currently Reading:

Neha Panikar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha-panikar.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Neha Panikar »

I'd love to date someone who was an avid reader like me, even if our preferred genres didn't match. I think given my affinity for stories, I'd atleast want the person to enjoy watching movies.
Jordan Meehan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordan-meehan.html
Latest Review: Digging for God by Tom Hillman

Post by Jordan Meehan »

My husband and I have been together since high school, and he has never been a big reader. Very intelligent, just doesn't enjoy reading the way that I do. With that said, I have exposed him to the beauty of audiobooks, which is our compromise I suppose :D . HOWEVER, I just recently got him hooked on the ACOTAR series, of which he listened to the first book on audiobook and is now READING the second book. Mission accomplished!
Rukayya Yusuf Hameed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukayya-yusuf-hameed.html
Latest Review: The Golden Manuscripts: A Novel by Evy Journey

Post by Rukayya Yusuf Hameed »

Absolutely, I'd be open to dating someone who isn't particularly into books. While shared interests can strengthen a connection, I believe that diverse hobbies and perspectives can add richness and variety to a relationship, creating opportunities for mutual discovery and growth. I just think we will find something we have in common. But I can't wait to make him an avid like me.😆
Ika Apro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ika-apro.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Ika Apro »

I am dating a person who despises reading. We have been together for years and can say that since my partner is pretty smart with other stuff, we can discuss most topics with ease. It gets a little frustrating sometimes, but we all have to make sacrifices.
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

Yes I can; it's not everyone that loves reading
Jamillah Rajie
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Jamillah Rajie »

Hmmmm.... I think I could. Reading to me is a hobby, I thoroughly enjoy it but I don't expect my partner to be as obsessed as I am lol
As long they show other forms of intellect, then I'm okay.
João Ramos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jo-o-ramos.html
Latest Review: Impromptu by Reid Hoffman

Post by João Ramos »

Let’s not be hypocritical and say that love can happen in any scenario. Reading is not a random hobby. How can you respect someone uninterested in books and intellectual growth? The answer is no.
Amanda Meira
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-meira.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Amanda Meira »

Yes, as long as we share other things in common and respect each other's choices, why not?!
dealogically
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dealogically.html
Latest Review: Enlightenment for the things that really matter by Mark Gumbrell

Post by dealogically »

I think I don't mind as long as he respects and understands my hobby. I will respect his.
Chockanathan G
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chockanathan-g.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by Chockanathan G »

I won't consider it as problem. I will encourage them to read. I will tell the importance of reading. I won't just lecture them to know the benefits of reading but also help to practicing the reading habits
ISIAK OPEYEMI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isiak-opeyemi.html
Latest Review: Hale by JK Noble

Post by ISIAK OPEYEMI »

I could never. What is it to talk about? What about some creativity, curiosity, and critical thinking? It would be a very boring relationship with such people.
Latest Review: Hale by JK Noble
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

Yes I can.

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”