Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Use this forum for book and reading discussion that doesn't fall into another category. Talk about books, genres, reading issues, general literature, and any other topic of particular interest to readers. If you want to start a thread about a specific book or a specific series, please do that in the section below this one.
Moriah Nash
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 10

Re: Could you date someone who doesn't read?

Post by Moriah Nash »

Yes, married someone who rarely reads. He has listened to a few audiobooks here and there over the years but overall he just doesn't find them to be involved enough. He's a gamer and likes the stories presented in a way that he can change the outcome. We have both learned to enjoy the other person's passions. I've learned to appreciate some of the video games though I prefer the cozy or house flipping varieties. He's learned to get frustrated with me over a favorite character or couple in my books. It's doable, I have even very few friends who we can swap book rec's too much since we don't have overlapping tastes - where do you find such a unicorn?
Christina Shupe
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-shupe.html
Latest Review: Nekkid Lake by Noah Bond

Post by Christina Shupe »

Yes, as long as they are willing to listen to me talk about what I am reading.
I am married and my husband will read books but doesn't have a lot of time to do so. He maybe will read one book a year, if that, but he is willing to listen to me talk about the books I read and give his thoughts based on that. My husband and I also have different tastes in the types of books we prefer as well, and that doesn't stop us from sharing what we like about the books or things that we have learned.
Whiney Jones
Favorite Book: The Movie Chair
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whiney-jones.html
Latest Review: Riley Youngblood and the Passport to Santalamanchia by B. F. Martindale
2024 Reading Goal: 400
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Whiney Jones »

My partner is a reader. I love her. Although she doesn't read stories like me, She prefers calculations and school books. My kid sister is not a reader, but she is doing well as a graphic designer. I could date her if we were not siblings. So I'm saying yes, I can.
:mrgreen:
Savant Chanelle
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savant-chanelle.html
Latest Review: Ten Commandments for Church Reform by John Wijngaards

Post by Savant Chanelle »

Hmmm Thats a good question. I think I could. I have,granted the conversation is limited ,there are still things to talk about. I won't count someone out because it's just not their thing
Do Thi Huong
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-do-thi-huong.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Post by Do Thi Huong »

I think I could totally go out with someone who doesn't like reading. It doesn't bother me much. I mean, there are still other things that make someone a good and interesting person. I also have other interests and like to talk about different things, aside from discussing books. So I guess I'm totally cool with it :)
Eddy246
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Eddy246 »

Yeah. I can actually date someone who doesn't read giving the fact that she has a creative mind set and if she loves me too.
Lily Walker 1
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lily-walker-1.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Lily Walker 1 »

I could and I have dated people that don’t read. Honestly, for me, reading is a solitary hobby, so it’s honestly not essential that whoever I date shares the interest. At the end of the day, nitpicking about hobbies isn’t really worth it for me. :)
Aroona Kashif
Favorite Author: Ana Huang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aroona-kashif.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
fav_author_id: 32219

Post by Aroona Kashif »

as long as they’re alright with listening to me rant about my favourite books!
all’s fair in love and poetry
Nerdygeek1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nerdygeek1 »

Well..
I don't see that as a problem, what is more of an issue to me is one who doesn't write, I express myself so much in writing and appreciate when someone write even the shortest note, poem, or story for me or about me
Whe :lol: n you are in love with a writer? You never die, your story continues, but when you are in love with a reader? He might get dementia and there goes any memory of you lol
No hard feelings
Just my opinion :lol:
Ambar Gill
Currently Reading: Finale
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ambar-gill.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 42%

Post by Ambar Gill »

Yes, as long as they respect my love for reading and probably the endless bookstore trips then I definitely don't have any problem with it. Though it may be nice to discuss my favourite books with them, especially if they've read it.
Ambar Gill :angelic-flying:
Alex Steen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Alex Steen »

My wife and I both enjoy reading. As we progress through the stages of life, time for reading has fallen off. But if I knew she didn’t actually like it, as opposed to just not having time for it….I’d still love her and stay married to her, ha!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 586
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Well I can as long the partner respect my reading time. My partner is someone who is into outdoors and love to drag me along. During night time, I entertain him about the wisdoms I've found in the books I've read. So I feel like we balance each other and participate in each other's activities (or tried to do so).
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Srikant Mahanty
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srikant-mahanty.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Srikant Mahanty »

Ofcourse yes..There are no similar persons..My partner would be doing something which i don't..So its a shared experience of growing with each other.
Tobey Douglas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tobey Douglas »

Even though I would rather sit inside with a good book & iced coffee than be outside with the heat, humidity & bugs. (My face literally scrunched up as I typed that) My husband would rather be outside than anywhere. Having access to all of my books now in the palm of my hand has made for a much happier marriage. I can spend the day on the boat reading while he spends the day on the boat fishing.
Ramadevi Tatavarthi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramadevi-tatavarthi.html
Latest Review: Requiem For A Queen by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ramadevi Tatavarthi »

Yeah, I could, reading is my personal choice. I cannot expect that whoever comes into my life should definitely read. It's up to their choice. I'm very cool about it

Return to “General Book & Reading Discussion”